PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading Ryan Mallett in the Off - Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) His poor play in his brief stints during the exhibition games is a reason to do just that.

2.) Guys pining on NFL benches are generally of less value than guys who can be molded by the team from day one. They need to overcome this by actually showing something in NFL games.

Maybe. But first I think his playing time sample is pretty small, and he's learning a relatively complex offense.

I also seem to recall he was pretty highly regarded as a QB coming out of college, and would have gone much higher if he didn't come across as such a knucklehead. Put him under BB's School of NFL for a couple of years and his value does go up; add in a year of learning The Josh Way and — if McDaniels does go to Cleveland — the value could go even higher. It's like buying a house — if 100 people think a house is worth $100,000, and one person is willing to pay $150,000, it's worth $150,000.

If we're talking about the McDaniels-led Browns trading for Mallett, then the lack of game film isn't really a big deal. McDaniels will have had a whole season of practice with Mallett already. And since we're hearing that trading for Mallett is already in the plans if McDaniels does go to the Browns, apparently he's already decided that he's a fan.

Regarding preseason, he would have looked better, most likely, had he been throwing to Gronk, AHern, Welker.

That may, or may not be true, but it didn't happen, so it's irrelevant in regards to what teams are looking for.

In terms of value, Mallett is an unusual case. He was probably a top ten talent, second among QB in that draft only to Newton. Certainly above low ceiling guys like Ponder. We all know he slipped due to concerns about his personality and drug rumors but with no failed drug tests and not a peep about any behavioral issues we're in uncharted waters in assessing his value.

This is just speculation. Top 10 QBs aren't likely to drop to the 3rd round. The fact that he did belies the whole "great prospect, but...." sort of arguments.

All I know is I wouldn't trade him for less than a high #2 and I would probably want more. Can't get it ? Keep the cheap, talented backup for two years and see where things stand at the end of 2014.

You're assuming he's actually talented beyond having a strong arm. He's shown nothing to make that seem the case. What he's shown in limited time is a slow release, frequently horrible decision making and very little progress made since being drafted. Now, what he is doing in practices not open to the public may be very different, but that's nothing we've seen.

Top 10 QBs aren't likely to drop to the 3rd round. The fact that he did belies the whole "great prospect, but...." sort of arguments.

That happens all of the time actually. Russell Wilson this year, in fact. How many times even before the draft did you hear "He's a great prospect, but if only he were 2 inches taller he'd be able to play"

That was a "problem" Wilson couldn't fix but that seems, so far anyway, to be inconsequential. Mallett had a perceived off-the-field problem that is fixable, in theory, and there's supporting evidence to show that it's possibly already been fixed.

I doubt if any football person would give a live workout to Ryan Mallett alongside Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden, and Ryan Tannehill and not think that in football skills Mallett is not solidly near the top of that group of 1st rounders, as a 3rd rounder with a "yeah, but..." label that may no longer be deserved.

Last edited:
That happens all of the time actually. Russell Wilson this year, in fact. How many times even before the draft did you hear "He's a great prospect, but if only he were 2 inches taller he'd be able to play"

That was a "problem" Wilson couldn't fix but that seems, so far anyway, to be inconsequential. Mallett had a perceived off-the-field problem that is fixable, in theory, and there's supporting evidence to show that it's possibly already been fixed.

I doubt if any football person would give a live workout to Ryan Mallett alongside Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden, and Ryan Tannehill and not think that in football skills Mallett is not solidly near the top of that group of 1st rounders, as a 3rd rounder with a "yeah, but..." label that may no longer be deserved.

Wilson's 5'11", so I don't know where you're getting 2 inches from. He's a good 4 inches short of what the scouts are really looking for (6'3"-6'5"). Wilson = Flutie = Joe Hamilton, and they're not looked at as real prospects because they're too short. There's no "but" there. In Mallet's case, there was a guy who had issues under pressure, too long a delivery and questionable on-field decisionmaking in general, all regardless of whether or not he was snorting blow or a pain in the ass in the locker room.

Players drop, but universal top shelf guys drop from top 5 to middle of the round/low end of the round, and they're not generally falling multiple rounds. Warren Sapp and Randy Moss both somehow managed to avoid plummetting to the 3rd round, for example. Janoris Jenkins, with all his problems, still went at the top of the second round.

Last edited:
Wilson's 5'11", so I don't know where you're getting 2 inches from. He's a good 4 inches short of what the scouts are really looking for (6'3"-6'5"). Wilson = Flutie = Joe Hamilton, and they're not looked at as real prospects because they're too short. There's no "but" there. In Mallet's case, there was a guy who had issues under pressure, too long a delivery and questionable on-field decisionmaking in general, all regardless of whether or not he was snorting blow or a pain in the ass in the locker room.
Players drop, but universal top shelf guys drop from top 5 to middle of the round/low end of the round, and they're not generally falling multiple rounds. Warren Sapp and Randy Moss both somehow managed to avoid plummetting to the 3rd round, for example. Janoris Jenkins, with all his problems, still went at the top of the second round.

arm mechanics was never a problem of mallets....in fact, tht was one spot where he was tops out of all the prospects......footwork needed some work to set up for throws, but hey...nobody's perfect.

only an idiot would give up on e prospect like mallet at this time

LMFAO at the mallet naysayers..........just say you don't know anything about him as a football player, but you don't like him, so that's good enough

Extraordinarily well put. :cool:

Nobody's got less use for Mallett than I...But the deeper I get into the 2013 QuarterBack Draft Class ~ I'm finally indulging after 32 weeks of Abstinence ~ don't ask!! ~ the more hopeful I become of his Market Value.

Just because I think the guy's a Stiff...doesn't mean that ONE of the other 31 teams doesn't.

arm mechanics was never a problem of mallets....in fact, tht was one spot where he was tops out of all the prospects......footwork needed some work to set up for throws, but hey...nobody's perfect.

only an idiot would give up on e prospect like mallet at this time

LMFAO at the mallet naysayers..........just say you don't know anything about him as a football player, but you don't like him, so that's good enough

I didn't say anything about his arm mechanics. I said he has too long a delivery. He's a big guy and his throw/release takes too long. They aren't the same thing. If you're going to troll, you should at least have the responses matching the posts. Then again, it's you.

As for being a Mallet naysayer, the book on the guy is out there, I've seen him in practice, I've seen him in games. I'm not sure what you think has been hidden beyond any recent improvement, which has already been acknowledged as a possibility but, again, it's you.

Last edited:
1 ~ As a Side Note, I'd like to say: The whole idea of pinioning his Market Value to'is Draft Spot ~ #74 ~ is incredibly moronic, whether you're saying "Trading him for less than #74 is a Fail" or whatever.

What he's worth...is what he's worth.

Brian Hoyer ~ UFA ~ evidently had no Market Value.

Tom Brady, on the other hand ~ 6th Rounder ~ could fetch GOD only knows what...if we were stupid enough ~ and unspeakable enough ~ to trade'm.

And the Jets'd be very lucky, at this point, to fetch a 7th Rounder for Tim Tebow, 1st Rounder.

2 ~ What he's worth is based entirely on what The Highest Bidder is willing to give us for'm.

3 ~ Matt Cassell got us #34, despite being a UFA...and probably would've gotten us far more than that if his Franchise Tag hadn't had us under the Gun: to ignore those circumstances is both lazy and dishonest.

1 ~ As a Side Note, I'd like to say: The whole idea of pinioning his Market Value to'is Draft Spot ~ #74 ~ is incredibly moronic, whether you're saying "Trading him for less than #74 is a Fail" or whatever.

Tom Brady, on the other hand ~ 6th Rounder ~ could fetch GOD only knows what...if we were stupid enough ~ and unspeakable enough ~ to trade'm.

And the Jets'd be very lucky, at this point, to fetch a 7th Rounder for Tim Tebow, 1st Rounder.

2 ~ What he's worth is based entirely on what The Highest Bidder is willing to give us for'm.

3 ~ Matt Cassell got us #34, despite being a UFA...and probably would've gotten us far more than that if his Franchise Tag hadn't had us under the Gun: to ignore those circumstances is both lazy and dishonest.

$14.6M cap hit, and teams knew that there was no way the Pats could get out of that unless they traded him. I suspect some QB-needy teams were hoping that, out of desperation, the Pats would take something like a 4th or a 5th.

This is actually one of the more enjoyable speculative exchanges I've seen, hereabouts...

I've been engaging in a Crash Course on the 2013 QuarterBack Draft Class, today ~ it's been a busy year!!! ~ and may I say...???...that they ~ or at least the ones I've Scouted ~ SUCK. :eek:

That being the case, the Truth is ~ or so I imagine ~ that because Mallett has a dubious Past and a virtually non-existent Resume, but has all the requisite physical SKILLS, and has been a Good Soldier Showing Signs of Improvement...and because the 2013 QB Draft Class is so utterly BARREN...that his Market Value ~ what we could actually GET for'm in a Trade, Earthlings!! ~ could be anywhere from a 1st Rounder to...nothing at ALL. :eek:

$14.6M cap hit, and teams knew that there was no way the Pats could get out of that unless they traded him. I suspect some QB-needy teams were hoping that, out of desperation, the Pats would take something like a 4th or a 5th.

Wouldn't be surprised.

1 ~ To repeat, it being a new Page: To ignore Cassell's circumstances and pretend that we probably couldn't've done much better than a #34 if we'd been at our leisure to trade'm...is both lazy and dishonest. :snob:

2 ~ A 1st and a 3rd, is what I'm thinking...and maybe a bit of Change. :D

3 ~ But we'll never know.

I personally think that Mallett will remain the backup here for at least the next season.

This past off-season and TC was in essence, his 'real' first due to the labor problems last year and the lack of a proper off-season.

Apparently Belichick thought that he was worth a chance with a 3rd rd value pick, so he may as well take advantage of his cheap rookie deal and see if he can potentially improve on his progression.

I don't think we will see him leaving for at least one more season until Belichick can see more of what he may have to offer, and any speculation about trade compensation is just reminding me of the many Brian Hoyer threads from the past couple of years.

Just my 2 cents of course.

This is actually one of the more enjoyable speculative exchanges I've seen, hereabouts...

I've been engaging in a Crash Course on the 2013 QuarterBack Draft Class, today ~ it's been a busy year!!! ~ and may I say...???...that they ~ or at least the ones I've Scouted ~ SUCK. :eek:

That being the case, the Truth is ~ or so I imagine ~ that because Mallett has a dubious Past and a virtually non-existent Resume, but has all the requisite physical SKILLS, and has been a Good Soldier Showing Signs of Improvement...and because the 2013 QB Draft Class is so utterly BARREN...that his Market Value ~ what we could actually GET for'm in a Trade, Earthlings!! ~ could be anywhere from a 1st Rounder to...nothing at ALL. :eek:

his resume on draft day at least on the field was as strong as anyone else in the draft

you simply don't give away someone with a top end that he has when you have a 35 year old QB. brady could last another 5 years, or the 'right shoulder problem' he's had ever since he's been here could become real and suddenly he can't make all the throws.

his resume on draft day at least on the field was as strong as anyone else in the draft

you simply don't give away someone with a top end that he has when you have a 35 year old QB. brady could last another 5 years, or the 'right shoulder problem' he's had ever since he's been here could become real and suddenly he can't make all the throws.

Mallett’s mechanics are all over the place which explains why his throws are as well. His decision making in pressure situations is also weak, why do we want him?

Give me someone who’s accurate, a good decision maker, and poised, but with a mediocre arm.

Mallett’s mechanics are all over the place which explains why his throws are as well. His decision making in pressure situations is also weak, why do we want him?

Give me someone who’s accurate, a good decision maker, and poised, but with a mediocre arm.

LOL.....what do you base your opinion on?

pre-draft scouting reports were as I recall highly variable on Mallett, but for the most part this was the consensus among reputable sites:

very strong arm (there was universal agreement).

Most scouts said he had a compact, quick, consistent delivery with a high release point that would serve him well, though most also said that he had some footwork issues that caused some throws to come off the back foot, leading to overthrows.

Most said that the pass-first pro style college system would help him in transition, though on the flip side Bobby Petrino has a poor record of developing QBs.

Most called him a mostly immobile pocket passer who was inaccurate on the run.

Most credited him with decent decision-making, spreading the ball around rather than locking in on one guy, though at times trusting his cannon arm to find a window that really wasn't there.

Most said he had a high football IQ, that he grew up as the son of a HS coach and would not likely be overwhelmed by a learning curve.

Most alluded to character concerns, but were unable to cite evidence- no suspensions, no arrests, no failed tests, just the vague impression of party animal behavior.

---
I don't think there's enough of any NFL tape to really budge anybody off the predraft analysis, except for the character issues that haven't (apparently) surfaced.

Last edited:
Mallett’s mechanics are all over the place which explains why his throws are as well. His decision making in pressure situations is also weak...

The last throw I saw was pretty accurate. Though the decision to throw to Shiancoe was dubious.

The last throw I saw was pretty accurate. Though the decision to throw to Shiancoe was dubious.

Why dubious? He was open. And, was the easiest catch and throw to get the first down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back