PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today and Tomorrow Could Be Very Transaction Busy

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth ...

Twitter/Mary Paoletti

Patriots worked out QB Curtis Painter. + Stephen McGee, Jamel Hamler, Demarco Sampson, Jeff Charleston, Monte Taylor, Chris Carr, David Caldwell​

Painter and McGee are two names I wouldn't want to be associated with. Don't know the others except maybe Carr (CB?).

But wait, everyone keeps telling me BB cut all of these players he wants on the roster to be cheap and not have to guarantee their salaries.
Can this really be another year where that doesn't happen?

This 'non-guaranteed salary' stuff is utter nonsense. There's an extremely limited set of scenarios where it makes sense to use that provision after week 1. It's almost always when you need a spot starter because someone got hurt in week 1.

...admittedly haven't read all eight pages...

I would love to see Carter come back. I'd drop Forston or Francis in a second, and hope they make it to the PS. Forston first - Deaderick, Brace, and Love are all young, and Pryor is on PUP.

Put Carter at LDE. He is powerful enough to set the edge, bigger than Ninkovich. Let him rotate with Ninko and Cunningham. One spot where they can make the defense better.

A healthy and "normal" Carter on one end, Chandler Jones on the other, with Wilfork and Love pushing up the middle.....holy cow that has serious potential.

Not at all convinced it'll happen, however.

Yeah, I'm not gonna lose sleep over it one way or another. Salas, Branch, Gaffney or someone else - none of them would figure to be a big part of the offense unless injuries occur. At least Salas could have potential upside.

Salas is def the wild card here: he'll be either a major steal, or a soon-to-be-replaced scrub.

Considering his production last year, I thought that Gaffney would be even more productive this year.

This 'non-guaranteed salary' stuff is utter nonsense. There's an extremely limited set of scenarios where it makes sense to use that provision after week 1. It's almost always when you need a spot starter because someone got hurt in week 1.

The reason why Hanie was dropped and then re-signed has nothing to do with the quarterback spot. There wasn’t much about Sunday night that would have made the Broncos feeling the need to add a quarterback. The Broncos had to guarantee him his full salary and they don’t have to do it by signing him on Monday, making Hanie what Fox called a “procedural cut.”

Caleb Hanie on his way back to Broncos | ProFootballTalk

Where are all these "supposed transactions"?

Yes, there are rare cases where it makes sense. But the idea that BB cut players he wanted on the team only so he could have them skip week 1 thereby forfeiting there guaranteed salary, so that if he doesn't want them later he can save a 50k game check or 2, is nonsense.

Anyone heard yet if we signed Branch or Gaffney back yet? How about Waters, has he showed up yet?

And I thought this was going to be an exciting fun day in Patriots land.

Time to kill this thread

Not that theOP didn't have a rational speculation but in this instance as in many others BB confounds his fan base

BB needs to fire Bobby V!!!

c'mon...what's he waitin' for?????

Time to kill this thread

Not that theOP didn't have a rational speculation but in this instance as in many others BB confounds his fan base

It's only confounding to fans who assumed that Edelman had no chance to beat Branch and Gaffney for the #3 WR job, and in their disbelief invented the idea that BB must be doing it to avoid paying a guaranteed salary. Ridiculous idea. Edelman won the job and is playing on Sundays in 5-wide formations with 2TEs, and those guys are watching the games on TV with the rest of us. It's really very simple.

Hilliard is roll of the dice, filling for the fact that all our TC FBs fell through for different reasons. But I think it's hardly fair to judge his game after 4 days with the playbook and 4 snaps in a game that was pretty much locked down when by the time he saw the field. I will say this, tho. The FO could have signed any number of FA FBs prior to the Week One game, including Hester, and chose to go with Hilliard. After seeing them turn various discards likes Mike Vrabel, Heath Evans, Bobby Hamilton, Rodney Harrison, Terrell Buckley and David Patten into gold, I stopped questioning their judgement long ago. I suppose the more recent examples would be Danny Woodhead and Steve Gregory-- how do they find these guys? All I can say for Hilliard is this: when panning for gold, you'll turn up more than a few rocks. Sometimes it's not clear whether you've fished up gold or a rock until you put it under stress.

Here's what BB should do ;) play Brandon Spikes at FB. That sounds promising to me. There's a big physical guy that runs downhill, in a crowd, and loves to blow something up.

Here's what BB should do ;) play Brandon Spikes at FB. That sounds promising to me. There's a big physical guy that runs downhill, in a crowd, and loves to blow something up.
Not worth the risk of injury.

I'd rather see the Who-Man as a blocking fullback instead.

Last edited:
Not worth the risk of injury.

I'd rather see the Who-Man as a blocking full instead.

He did play FB for the Rams, I think it makes sense to use Oh Oh as a FB. I liked Spencer Larsen making the roster because of special teams play and spot LB duty, but he was injured. We also have a FB on the PS, so I could see Hilliard's roster spot going elsewhere.

I still think we need another TE...

Time to kill this thread

Seeing that it's pretty much Wednesday, e.g., game-plan installation day and neither Branch or Gaffney are back, and no other significant transactions have occured, I have to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back