PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today and Tomorrow Could Be Very Transaction Busy

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Friendly reminder to hold onto your hats everyone, after game one, signings now aren't season guaranteed. Keep an eye out for some transactions over the next 48 hours.

Last edited:
Branch and Gaffney have been sitting by the phone since around 4p yesterday. I think they're both expecting a call in the next day or so. We'll see what happens.

Branch and Gaffney have been sitting by the phone since around 4p yesterday. I think they're both expecting a call in the next day or so. We'll see what happens.

Won't be both, might not be either. I think they will be on the vaunted shadow roster.

Also thinking Waters (or some other vet OL).

Also thinking Waters (or some other vet OL).

I'm fairly sure that Waters' scenario has nothing to do with the season salary rule.

I will literally eat my hat if Hilliard makes it through the week.

It makes no sense to carry 3 defensive linemen on your 53 who aren't going to be active on game day. At least one of those guys need to go. Who will replace them? I don't know, but I don't think its going to be a WR. Gaffney and Branch are guys for down the road in case of injuries.

Personally I think our DLstarters played too many snaps as it was on Sunday, I think we need to get one of the DLmen activated if they are good enough, or replace them if they are not. And Hilliard seems really redundant with 3 TEs on the roster who can all line up as a FB

I will literally eat my hat if Hilliard makes it through the week.

Yes, he was totally useless. I recall him standing over Ridley after totally missing a block.

Yes, he was totally useless. I recall him standing over Ridley after totally missing a block.

I recall this as well. As a blocking FB he did not make any impressions nor was he used in goal line situations. If we want a FB with versatility I saw we look at Jacob Hester, still a FA. Plays special teams and can't do worse than Hilliard.

DEFENSIVE LINE
We had Deaderick, Scott and Brace as backups. I'm not generally unhappy with only 12 front seven being active (plus emergency STers White and Rivera).

However, I agree that we have 1 or 2 too many roster positions used on the front seven.

OFFENSE
I'm fine with carrying a fullback and NOT expecting a TE to be a fullback. Lex Hillard is NOT that man. Apparently, Bolden is not that man either. Hilliard is useless; Boldin a little less so.

DEVELOPMENTAL PLAYERS
We are carrying a lot: Francis, Forston, Bequette, Dennard, Hilliard, Bolden and Ebner. I am accepting that Rivera is getting his roster spot because of his special team play.

MY HOPE
That we add a WR, RB/FB and an OT.

It makes no sense to carry 3 defensive linemen on your 53 who aren't going to be active on game day. At least one of those guys need to go. Who will replace them? I don't know, but I don't think its going to be a WR. Gaffney and Branch are guys for down the road in case of injuries.

Personally I think our DLstarters played too many snaps as it was on Sunday, I think we need to get one of the DLmen activated if they are good enough, or replace them if they are not. And Hilliard seems really redundant with 3 TEs on the roster who can all line up as a FB

MY HOPE
That we add a WR, RB/FB and an OT.
Interesting. If that turned out to be the case, who do you think would be the ones to go?

Hilliard is definately one of them.

Personally I think our DLstarters played too many snaps as it was on Sunday, I think we need to get one of the DLmen activated if they are good enough, or replace them if they are not.

Same here, specifically Bequette I wanted to see active. But I'll take 3 our of the 4 top draft picks having an instant impact :)

Also would like to see Brace get more than 6 snaps.

Forston, Hilliard and Francis.

I don't think we need a FB; Fells and Hoomanawanui can handle the FB blocking role.

I would then keep Francis, of the three you mentioned, and hope to get Fortson to the PS.

Forston, Hilliard and Francis.

Coaches hate to put young defensive linemen on waivers. They get scooped up very quickly and won't make it to the practice squad. Hilliard could be replaced with the fb. Not sure we need 4 te's and a fb. A wr could replace one of the te's.

I can see two of th DL being replaced. But, only when we can IR them. One for an olb like Tarpinian. And, the other for that 9th OL. Hopefully, Brian Waters. But, that ship has sailed I believe.

get Waters.....dump hilliard
that's the only thing the pats need right now

I believe that it is desirable to have five running backs on the 53 man squad. It will not be unusual to have one of the running backs out with an injury. Running backs can do many things. If none of them can block well enough to be our fullback, then we'll use a lineman or a tight end. If all are healthy, one or two will still be inactive. My hope is that four will be active, with the four handling the kick returner and fullback roles.

I don't think we need a FB; Fells and Hoomanawanui can handle the FB blocking role.

I would then keep Francis, of the three you mentioned, and hope to get Fortson to the PS.

Coaches hate to put young defensive linemen on waivers. They get scooped up very quickly and won't make it to the practice squad. Hilliard could be replaced with the fb. Not sure we need 4 te's and a fb. A wr could replace one of the te's.

I can see two of th DL being replaced. But, only when we can IR them. One for an olb like Tarpinian. And, the other for that 9th OL. Hopefully, Brian Waters. But, that ship has sailed I believe.

I agree on both, plus there is no real need right now to dump Francis and/or Forsten let them develop, they both have pash rush ability. If you want to add a receiver dump Hilliard and let one of the TE's play FB or sign Hester.

I think only one spot will open up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye