PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Way We Hear It - Maualuga

Status
Not open for further replies.
WE ARE NOT PICKING A USC LINEBACKER WITH OUR 1ST ROUND PICK.

Ask yourself this question, how many players in the last time in the last 10 years that got drafted from USC and became a special (never mind special but a good) player in the NFL?

There have been 56 players selected in that 10 yr span. Of those 56, 13 have been 1st rd picks and 15 have been 2rd picks. Exactly 50% of those players were drafted very high. You would figure that the names of these players should be flying off your tongue because there should be some great players being selected. Not so fast. I'll give you my top players that were selected from USC and you'll see what I mean.

1. Carson Palmer
2. Troy Polamalu

Now we start searching

3. Lofa Tatupu
4. Steve Smith
5. Justin Fargas

I guess we could throw in Matt Cassel. To make it worse, Palmer, Polamalu and Fargas all came out in the 2003 draft. USC produces good college players and a whole lot of busts in the NFL.

Ask yourself this question, how many players in the last time in the last 10 years that got drafted from USC and became a special (never mind special but a good) player in the NFL?

There have been 56 players selected in that 10 yr span. Of those 56, 13 have been 1st rd picks and 15 have been 2rd picks. Exactly 50% of those players were drafted very high. You would figure that the names of these players should be flying off your tongue because there should be some great players being selected. Not so fast. I'll give you my top players that were selected from USC and you'll see what I mean.

1. Carson Palmer
2. Troy Polamalu

Now we start searching

3. Lofa Tatupu
4. Steve Smith
5. Justin Fargas

I guess we could throw in Matt Cassel. To make it worse, Palmer, Polamalu and Fargas all came out in the 2003 draft. USC produces good college players and a whole lot of busts in the NFL.

Thank you for clearing that up. And now since you know who we are not drafting, can you tell us who we are drafting?

Let me narrow it down some more for you. Our 1st rd pick will not be a WR either.

Let me narrow it down some more for you. Our 1st rd pick will not be a WR either.

You are Kiper and Mayock rolled into one. Let me guess, no QB either?

You are Kiper and Mayock rolled into one. Let me guess, no QB either?

You can also rule out punter and kicker. Only the Raiders do that in the 1st rd.

There are trades in our future. I don't know if its with the 1st rd pick or the 2nd round pick. The Pats will make some trades.

If I had to guess, I say we draft one of these players:

Darius Butler
Robert Ayers
Larry English
Brandon Pettigrew
Connor Barwin
D.J. Moore

A quick note on draft websites: I use NFL Draft Scout as my primary draft reference, their material is used by NFL.com, CBS Sports, and USA Today and is the most comprehensive online site I've found, but just like every other draftnik site, they evaluate each player as a 4-3 prospect first, then they consider the 3-4 potential as an afterthought. Further, they don't seem to grasp the difference between a NE 3-4, a Pit 3-4, or a SD 3-4. I frequently find the things they write that would be good strong points for a NE 3-4 don't match up when I get to see the player in a game.

I'm sure my one true fan will swing by to discredit my recording Television broadcasts and using my DVR's slow motion and frame advance function to watch for individual performance, but here's a wooden nickel's worth of my observations:

Maualuga - he doesn't seem particularly adept at finding the ball...he floats deep waiting for a lane to open up, then suddenly becomes a heat seeking missle...he seems to miss as many tackles as he makes because of his 'fire and forget' style of targeting...when an OL gets a fingernail on him, he's out of the play...I've never yet seen him avoid a cut block, he face plants everytime...he's not a fixture on passing downs, but he's surprisingly adept at filling the underneath zone and getting his hands on the ball.

Summation: He doesn't do two things I look for in a NE LB; 1. he doesn't find the ball well in trash; 2. he doesn't square-up and engage OL, instead he tries to get around them and winds up blocked out of the play. I'm not as concerned for him as a 3rd down player since he surprises me with his ball awareness in coverage everytime I see him, given how badly he struggles finding the ball on run plays. I truly do not consider him a good fit for NE.

Cushing: Of the three primary USC linebackers, he's the one who has looked the closest to a NE LB. There are two knocks on him that lower his value in my mind; 1. injuries, this kid gets nicked up a lot; 2. size, he just looks maxed out and the reports of the effort he has put into his training seems to support that assessment.

Summation: 4-3 teams will value him at least a round earlier than I think his value for NE starts to balance out. Good kid, I like him, but not before the mid-2nd at the earliest.

Matthews - There's a lot to like about this kid too, so I'll again list two things that give me pause; 1. he's been taught to run around blocks, I just don't see him squaring up and engaging blockers; 2. he reportedly played at 246 which is right about the lightest weight for a veteran starter in NE, the question that I can't answer is how much more weight he could put on? He's gained 60 pounds since walking on five years ago, 12 lbs/year and you'd think is metabolism would let him add a little more. Just how well could he hold his weight in a 23 game season?

Summation: He's the right weight for an ILB, but he doesn't stack and shed the way NE uses their ILBs. If he drops to the mid-2nd, he's getting into the price range I'd set on him. 4-3 teams are going to want him a round earlier. He's playing too light for an OLB.

I'm sure my one true fan will swing by to discredit my recording Television broadcasts and using my DVR's slow motion and frame advance function to watch for individual performance, but here's a wooden nickel's worth of my observations:

You mean like Jodi Foster's one true fan?

I love it when I read one of your writeups and feel like we're on the same page. I feel like a chimp when a scientist smiles at him and says "yes, BoBo, banana! Very good!"

Last edited:
lofa tatupu has gone to multiple pro bowls... i hardly think that is "searching" weather he is a god player or not

1. Carson Palmer
2. Troy Polamalu

Now we start searching

3. Lofa Tatupu
4. Steve Smith
5. Justin Fargas

I cant take comments like this. If Barwin went to USC would you shy away from him? Talent is Talent, I dont care where you came from if you can play football at USC you can play football anywhere. If you start choosing players based on what school they come from You will never succeed. If Michael Crabtree went to UF would you say "No more UF wideouts"? If Aaron Curry went to SC would you not draft him? You can never base a player on what school he went to.

Last edited:
For whatever it's worth, here's NFLdraftcountdown's profile on Maualuga out today:

Rey Maualuga | USC Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

Rey Maualuga
Inside Linebacker
Senior
USC
Height: 6-13/4
Weight: 249
40-Time: 4.82

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size and bulk...Extremely aggressive...Tough and physical...A violent, intimidating presence who can really deliver the big hit...Good instincts...Very strong...Explosive...Reads and reacts quickly...Does a nice job of taking on and shedding blockers...Will step up and fill against the run...Solid pass rusher and blitzer...Plays faster than he times and has a burst...Has shown the ability to make big plays in coverage...Productive with a knack for making game-changing plays... Offers schematic versatility...Is still improving and has upside.

Weaknesses:
Does not have elite timed speed...Inconsistent...Can be too aggressive at times...Always looking to deliver the knockout blow and will miss some tackles...Does not always take proper angles...Lacks fluid hips...May struggle to match up in coverage...Average change of direction skills...Range is somewhat limited...Will get caught out of position at times... Still immature...Ran into some trouble off the field.

Notes:
Best fit may be inside in a 3-4 scheme but could also play the middle in a 4-3...A three-year starter for the Trojans...Would have been a Top 15 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft but opted to return to school for his senior season...Was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after allegedly punching a man during a party in 2005...Has faced team disciplinary action on more than one occasion...Was the MVP of the Rose Bowl as a junior when he recorded 3 sacks and an interception...Has star potential if he can keep his head on straight ... Impact linebacker who can take over and dominate games.

I'm not sure where "good instincts", "reads and reacts quickly" and "does a nice job of taking on and shedding blockers" comes from, as I haven't seen any of those things.

I cant take comments like this. If Barwin went to USC would you shy away from him? Talent is Talent, I dont care where you came from if you can play football at USC you can play football anywhere. If you start choosing players based on what school they come from You will never succeed. If Michael Crabtree went to UF would you say "No more UF wideouts"? If Aaron Curry went to SC would you not draft him? You can never base a player on what school he went to.

Yea, you know it's bad when people start to say that the Pats would never draft a player who played a certain position at a certain school. Even though the chances of us actually taking Maualuga are miniscule, OMG it's hilarious how some people are fighting the idea--from our resident former JC linebacker who says that hell will freeze over before the Pats would ever take Rey, to our esteemed resident armchair scout (whose opinions I mostly respect) breaking down video to show why Rey is a bad fit, to others who use a 15 wonderlic score to convince themselves that he's dummer than dirt--anyone know (or care) what Lawrence Taylor's test-taking skills were like back in the day? The lack of objectivity being displayed on Maualuga is hilarious.

I don't give a rat's ***** where someone went to school, Rey's a flat out baller, probably the best LB in the draft this year, bar none, and all you hear on this board are reasons the Pats would never take him at 23. Insane.

Thank goodness BB is the one with the inside scoop on this guy.

You mean like Jodi Foster's one true fan?

I love it when I read one of your writeups and feel like we're on the same page. I feel like a chimp when a scientist smiles at him and says "yes, BoBo, banana! Very good!"
Perhaps if you shaved your back and got some help with the uni-brow? I'd tell you I was a 120 lb two-way Guard in the early 70's, but it would just kill your appetite for bananas... :cool:

Yea, you know it's bad when people start to say that the Pats would never draft a player who played a certain position at a certain school. Even though the chances of us actually taking Maualuga are miniscule, OMG it's hilarious how some people are fighting the idea--from our resident former JC linebacker who says that hell will freeze over before the Pats would ever take Rey, to our esteemed resident armchair scout (whose opinions I mostly respect) breaking down video to show why Rey is a bad fit, to others who use a 15 wonderlic score to convince themselves that he's dummer than dirt--anyone know (or care) what Lawrence Taylor's test-taking skills were like back in the day? The lack of objectivity being displayed on Maualuga is hilarious.

I don't give a rat's ***** where someone went to school, Rey's a flat out baller, probably the best LB in the draft this year, bar none, and all you hear on this board are reasons the Pats would never take him at 23. Insane.

Thank goodness BB is the one with the inside scoop on this guy.
Only mostly!
sad-smiley-345.gif

For whatever it's worth, here's NFLdraftcountdown's profile on Maualuga out today:

Rey Maualuga | USC Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

Rey Maualuga
Inside Linebacker
Senior
USC
Height: 6-13/4
Weight: 249
40-Time: 4.82

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has excellent size and bulk...Extremely aggressive...Tough and physical...A violent, intimidating presence who can really deliver the big hit...Good instincts...Very strong...Explosive...Reads and reacts quickly...Does a nice job of taking on and shedding blockers...Will step up and fill against the run...Solid pass rusher and blitzer...Plays faster than he times and has a burst...Has shown the ability to make big plays in coverage...Productive with a knack for making game-changing plays... Offers schematic versatility...Is still improving and has upside.

Weaknesses:
Does not have elite timed speed...Inconsistent...Can be too aggressive at times...Always looking to deliver the knockout blow and will miss some tackles...Does not always take proper angles...Lacks fluid hips...May struggle to match up in coverage...Average change of direction skills...Range is somewhat limited...Will get caught out of position at times... Still immature...Ran into some trouble off the field.

Notes:
Best fit may be inside in a 3-4 scheme but could also play the middle in a 4-3...A three-year starter for the Trojans...Would have been a Top 15 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft but opted to return to school for his senior season...Was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after allegedly punching a man during a party in 2005...Has faced team disciplinary action on more than one occasion...Was the MVP of the Rose Bowl as a junior when he recorded 3 sacks and an interception...Has star potential if he can keep his head on straight ... Impact linebacker who can take over and dominate games.

I'm not sure where "good instincts", "reads and reacts quickly" and "does a nice job of taking on and shedding blockers" comes from, as I haven't seen any of those things.

So I take it you have watched all his game film?

NFL DraftScout is saying the same things about him.

Don't get your knickers all in a twist. USC has a lot of over-rated athletes. When they get to the NFL, they are found wanting. That's my point. I'm just saying, my Patriots will look beyond the hype.

So when you start talking about if this player went to USC, would we still draft them? That's not my point. All I'm saying is go back over the last 10 yrs or more and tell me other than the 4 or 5 guys that I list coming out of USC, can you name anyone else?

You are welcome.

Total agreement on Spikes. I think that he is the guy to pair with Mayo inside. In fact, moving out of 23 like the situation I talked about in the trade thread would be a move that could facilitate the tradeup that results in Spikes. Maualuga...to be honest, I just don't know what to think about him. I saw him lining up super deep in that 46, taking wide open streaks to the ball, and frankly never saw him make the kind of play that screamed Patriots to me. I also saw him put on his ass an awful lot for a guy of his size and alleged agression. I just don't have anything that makes me drool about him, and the fact that he is so hyped up yet doesn't show up on film makes me really question his ability.

THANK you.

It ain't about the wonderlic, it's about the ability to read and diagnose plays from three yards deep. Name one play where Maualuga made a read, crashed a gap and made a play from three yards deep completely unsheltered.

The 46 is designed for ******s. Just look at sexy rexy.

I think regarding the MLB in the best D in college football as someone, whom lacks the instincts to read and react is just plain moronic. Secondly, running a variation of the 46 gives you the opportunity to put two Sam linebackers on the field at the same time, thirdly your asking a guy who is 250+ to take up and eat up space. It was a luxury that no other team in college football had. If the 46 was so worthless than why does every team in the nfl still have it in their playbook and the Ravens argueably the best defense of the decade use a steady diet of it. What would happen if you took said player and paired him inside with another young linebacker. I'll answer the question for you. You have nearly cut his width and depth responsibilies in half from the 46, and you have created on hell of a problem for the right gaurd.
Andy Katzenmoyer he's not........

You can never base a player on what school he went to.

You absolutely can, whether it be for scheme (Texas Tech, Cal, or Utah, which all run fluky offenses that won't work in the NFL), coaching (Belichick is more comfortable with some NCAA coaching staffs than others), or recruiting style (Virginia Tech, Miami back in the day with the thugs, or Ohio State for the mental midgets, or USC, which seems every year to be filled with football players who commit there primarily for the blonde and beach lifestyle and aren't committed to the game)

You'd be foolish to make it a blanket statement (All USC players will fail), but these things happen too often to be coincidental, and smart GMs take it into consideration.

By the way, my favorite USC player this year is Cary Harris. Followed by Fili Moala.

Last edited:
Andy Katzenmoyer he's not........

I wish the hell he was. There was a guy that would take on offensive linemen with no fear. I think he gets an unfair rap as a bust due to his neck injuries....but that's just me.

I wish the hell he was. There was a guy that would take on offensive linemen with no fear. I think he gets an unfair rap as a bust due to his neck injuries....but that's just me.

What if you got that without the neck injury, that's what I see. A guy who can move laterally well ,but more so take up a hell of allot of space attacking the line of scrimmage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft