Welcome to PatsFans.com

The Way We Hear It - Maualuga

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by mayoclinic, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +392 / 0 / -1

Interesting article by Nolan Nawrocki on Rey Maualuga today, subtitled "Maualuga's Bust Factor Scares NFL Teams":

NFL Draft - NFL draft preview and analysis from Pro Football Weekly

Some notable quotes:

"On Wednesday, Maualuga has another chance to prove himself at USC's highly anticipated pro-day workout, but the way we hear it, nothing Maualuga does will erase the concerns teams have about him on tape and off the field. 'Chart how many times he is on the ground,' one longtime evaluator said, 'and you will see why I think he will always struggle in the pros. He had so much talent around him — that defense may be as talented as I’ve ever seen in college. It covers up a lot of mistakes.' For as fearlessly as Maualuga may run through contact and as violently as he may deliver some big hits, he too often struggles to break down in the open field and gets caught out of position by taking false steps. His instincts still leave a lot to be desired. Scouts that revisit the Trojans’ loss to Oregon State have come away even more unimpressed, as Maualuga’s shoddy tackling was identified as a major reason for the 27-21 loss to the Beavers."

"'He has a high bust factor,' said one NFL executive responsible for stacking his team's draft board. 'There is a lot there that scares me. There is a right price for everyone, but I would not feel comfortable taking him in the first round where we are picking. The money is too great. You cannot afford to make mistakes and expect to recover from them.'"
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

and yet every year teams still spend 1st rounders on unpolished, high potential guys. I hope the negative PR keeps coming and Maualuga falls to us with one of our top 4 picks.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Sounds like that must have come from a top ten picking team given the quote about the money. I still think he's the best need/value given what we have next to Mayo and the (lack of) depth at ILB in the draft vs. that of OLB. How the Patriots have him ranked, obviously, I have no clue.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

FWIW the Patriots are not on the list of visits that PFT has for him :

"Maualuga is set to visit the San Francisco 49ers next week followed by visits with the Miami Dolphins, San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Cleveland Browns, Tennessee Titans and New Orleans Saints."
  5. jays52

jays52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0

#91 Jersey

6. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I've got him going to New Orleans at 14, and I have New Orleans being very sorry one year from now.
  7. BlackFrancis

BlackFrancis Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They are using the Oregon State game where he got injured and still accumulated 12 tackles as his benchmark? That's a bit of a head scratcher, right there.

I am not worried about Maualuga's pursuit angles or tackling technique, at least on the Patriots. I'd be worried about his partying when off the field and future injuries.
  8. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think Maualuga is the only ILB that fits what the Pats need next to Mayo. People are worried about him only being a 2down lb but is that so bad? We need somebody to replace Tedy in that position, even if Mau only becomes a 2down lb we have Guyton that could play on passing downs while Mau helps being that thumper lb we havent had since Ted Johnson. Mayo Muauluga and Guyton could be a nice trio for a long time to come. Mayo the 3down lb who can do it all, Mau the thumper who can play the run and hit like a ton of bricks and is a faster version of Ted J, and Guyton who has great speed and can play on passing downs.

If Mau is there at 23 and if the Pats like him I hope they get him even if Barwin is there, Barwin could last until 34 but even if he dont im sure a Clay Matthews or English, Brown, or Maybin will still be available.
  9. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Well that means nothing. Actually from reading the LA Times blog sounds like the Saints are very big on Cushing.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

That's why I said FWIW.
  11. Feep50

Feep50 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed.... He has "bust' written all over him... Definitely not interested in him.
  12. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Apparently he's looking good at today's pro day, but Matthews is looking much better, according to the experts.

13. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

just a question during an espn insider chat:

Mike (Boca Raton): New England can't possibly use all of the picks it has in rounds 1 - 3 this year. do you see them trading up in this year's draft or out of the draft (until next year)?

SportsNation Matt Williamson: Very possible and no one plans for the future by stock piling future picks as well as NEng. Excellent point. I bet they really liike R Mauluga as well-could trade up to nab someone like him that they love. Put him next to Mayo behind that DL. Oh baby.
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Any chance of a link so we can see what else was said ?
  15. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +306 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

17. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Yeah, it's the most useless useful thing on the Web, but it's the latest craze for now.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  18. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 6 / -0

Thanks, Farmer's feed is pretty good. Any others you know of worth following for draft news?
  19. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Rookie

Ratings:
    +63 / 1 / -0

#24 Jersey

There are only four ILB that I would want us to get day one.
    1) Aaron Curry-ILB/OLB Wake Forest
    2) Rey Maualuga-ILB USC
    3) Clay Matthews-ILB/OLB USC
    4) Brian Cushing-ILB/OLB USC
  20. BadMoFo

BadMoFo Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

So far I haven't seen anything good on Twitter for news I can't get elsewhere, but PatriotsInsider seems pretty good, basically news from all over, including the Globe, Herald, Scout, etc.

I new of the Sam Farmer live tweeting because I'm an SC fan and wanted to see how the guys were doing. Plus I'm interested in seeing what guys would look best on the Pats. Hey, just noticed that Sam Farmer is following Patriots Insider.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.