PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Onslought of Tebow Only Fans (TOF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it's mostly self-inflicted because most of the "them" is us. Way more posts on all these threads by pre-Tebow posters (often long-timers, even) than by post-signing posters.

Wrongo.

You can't see what and whom we've been banning the past few days.

That's a good thing.

The new ones you can see, have (so far) not crossed the line.

All who want to contribute to a discussion about New England Patriots football (and Tim Tebow is now a New England Patriot) are welcome.

Last edited:
Yup, I just deleted CC, CPF, demosthenes and g8torballboy's little catfight amongst themselves.

We are openminded here. If they want to opine about a player, fine. But these newbies continuing foreign wars from other websites have gotten their one, clear and only warning on PM's today.

JonSmith is already gone for good.

They have been given an opportunity, it is up to them to behave themselves in our house.

Noted and thank you for the warning.

Seconded. Thanks for the heads up Shmessy. My apologies for the catfight.

Betcha he does make the team in some form. NFL league itself seems to really want Tebow in the league somewhere. Tebow is on the team for very litte, contract wise.

One thing he does bring, is he gives the defense a good first hand look at what a QB of his "style" does to practice against. He's a guy who has started for an offense that runs that way. Plus, he gives an "emergency" option even as a special teamer as a guy who has actually played QB before. I think just about every team would take that in the event of "emergency" over what just about any other team has.

Looking at the schedule, there doesn't seem to be a lot of "pistol" offenses, but there is a lot of value there since more and more running style QBs are coming into the league.

uh...the Pats DID get a good look at Tebow...in the playoffs against Denver....he went 9-26 for 136 yards and ZERO TD's....perhaps YOU missed it...here's the link...

Denver Broncos vs. New England Patriots - Recap - January 14, 2012 - ESPN

I don't know if it's YOU living under a rock or if you have somehow mistakenly come to the conclusion that WE have been but this site has an archive and in it you will find THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE BREAKDOWN of stats both before and after THAT contest. I don't think there is a Patriots fan here at Patsfans that doesn't know at least as much as you about Tebow and from reading all these "let me tell y'all about my Tim Tebow" introductions, I don't think you have a clue about the fanbase YOU are dealing with here.

On occasion I think the mods here over react a bit, but on the whole they do a fine job, a job that is bound to get just about every one of us pissed now and then. Thank you for your service mods. You help make this an excellent site.

They got my vote to, PWP...they handled this with class...the way they SHOULD have handled it at J.I. last season....THAT was abominable.

On occasion I think the mods here over react a bit, but on the whole they do a fine job, a job that is bound to get just about every one of us pissed now and then. Thank you for your service mods. You help make this an excellent site.
Agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes the posters need to reigned i(iincluding me) and it's done with class and dignity.

Another Gator fan here... figured now's as good a time as any to jump in for my first post. I was born in Gainesville and bleed orange and blue. I worked for the team as a student manager and my last year was Tim's first. I root for all gators but Tim was a different animal. Never met anyone like him. All the good things you hear are true and he is 100% genuine. I'm no patriot fan and have lived in Baltimore the last 5 years so (sorry) but I've become a pretty hardcore Raven fan. I still root for Tim and like to follow his rather interesting career. I think he can succeed as a QB in the league and I think he's found himself in a GREAT situation here. I'm happy for him and hope it works out as I think he may finally get a chance to sit and develop the way he was supposed to coming out of college with no pressure, a coach who believes in him (McDaniels), and the all time best qb to ever play the game in front of him mentoring him. I won't post too often but will lurk for news on Tim. You guys run a great board here and seem to be MUCH more welcoming and ... well... mature than the slime over at Gang Green.

================================================

:welcome:

Tebow fan here. Been rooting for the kid since UF. I'm not particularly invested in the religious aspect one way or the other, but it was fun watching a QB that would run over a linebacker for a first down. Kid is an exceptionally hard worker and a really good person, and he's scrapped his way to success at every level. He's obviously not great at the NFL level, but he's an overachiever and that's nice to root for.

Really glad he ended up with the Pats. Great franchise with an entrenched starter that will appreciate his competitiveness and character without allowing a circus to develop around him. He needs to sit on a bench for a while and learn.

Also don't undersell his potential as a QB. He's not ever going to be Brady (nobody is), but not a lot of guys go 7-4 with a playoff win. Statistically, he's not that bad -- completion percentage is the only number that sticks out as awful. His passer rating, YPA, TD/INT, etc are all pretty standard for a bottom-third starter, and obviously his rushing stats were great. He's not horrible. He's a solid backup whose circus is more trouble than it's worth unless you've got the one coach in the league that can squash it.

Obviously the Pats will be best off if Tebow never takes a snap at QB, but if you got hit with some horrible luck and Brady and Mallet had to miss a few games, you could do a lot worse than Tebow for trying to keep the season afloat until they get back. Otherwise, maybe BB finds a few creative uses for him outside the QB position.

===================================================

oh look..the Jets foot soldier is looking for a sniff...

amandas_pics_050.jpg

better hurry ,Guns...before Wrecks gets the scent...

On this idea of "beneath the radar," which is an interesting one -- a couple of examples.

1. The last clear example I can think of for a really good "above the radar" quarterback who took a while to get there is Vinny Testeverde. Also a Heisman winner and almost national champion, Vinny was not in a good situation for his development with the Bucs. And he took quite a while to get his efficiency up -- he just kept plugging, year 3, year 4, year 5, etc. He's a different story from Tebow in many ways (he was prototypical in his throwing), but there are some similarities (the knock on him was reading defenses, and also his overall athletic prowess is probably what got him to the top.

2. Rich Gannon is one who could fit the model for Tebow -- although drafted in the 4th Round (so that part doesn't hold up to the Tebow Radar thing), he was probably drafted about where Tebow should have been (in hindsight). Gannon came from a Wing-T college offense, and had to reinvent himself mechanically to become a good pro. He kept bubbling up to the surface (Vikings and Raiders), and before he was done was one of the best. So it does happen -- a quarterback with the innate talent can learn, even if it takes 5 years. It's sort of a thing of the past with the new era of Luck and RGIII, but sometimes a guy needs to actually work at it a few years.

Tremendous Post, Brother. :cool:

Jim Plunkett comes to mind, as well.

Why can't we get QuarterBacks like Jim Plunkett & Rich Gannon?? :confused:

How much longer is Brady gonna play? I think he could probably go at least another 3-5 years. By then, Tebow will be approaching 30. I think he is at best a rehabilitation project. Turn an investment where nothing is really given up and turning it into a tradable assett. He was McDaniels's guy when he was drafted. So you can bet he will put in the extra time.

Always love those late bloomers, but it is EXTREMELY rare and they usually come from people you almost never see coming. With Tebow though, for some reason, people are actually expecting that. I get that he has a lot of heart and determination, but he seems to have a much steeper climb ahead of him than even Gannon and some of the other really late bloomers did. His dyslexia for one (needing hands on game experience he's gonna be hard pressed to get) as well as other problems identified that the circus following him tends to cause. (It damn near cost him a career in the NFL.) Most don't have either obstacle in the way.

I just don't see the Pats hanging on to him that long.

:confused:

I have no idea why you're responding to me with this Argument ~ which is very nicely articulated, by the way :cool: ~ because I'm the last guy in the World who would've signed Tebow.

I was merely complimenting Brother Oinko on the exceptionally refreshing Angle he's taking on this. :cool:

By the way...

:confused:

I have no idea why you're responding to me with this Argument ~ which is very nicely articulated, by the way :cool: ~ because I'm the last guy in the World who would've signed Tebow.

I was merely complimenting Brother Oinko on the exceptionally refreshing Angle he's taking on this. :cool:

By the way...

Figured you were using an argument a lot of Tebone... sorrry..... Tebow fans use all the time that Steve Young and Rich Gannon were such late bloomers and therefore Tebow should get the same benefit of the doubt and give him until doomsday to reach his potential.

Just trying to rationalize the move and why someone like BB would want him. A couple of you seem to have mistaken me for a guy that thinks Tebow is good. I thought he was horrid, and those stats posted from another on what he did against the Pats in BOTH games pretty much proved it.

but I DO think he provides something to practice against that has experience playing a style that seems to be the flavor of the month these days... the running QB.

Plus there is the possibility they can turn him into something. As a pure passer though, he's about as useful as a solar powered flashlight. But I can't shake the feeling that he will still somehow end up on the team when the final cuts are made. Maybe as a utility special teamer or something.

I may be your first one- I'm an unabashed Tebow fan- Not much into pro football, more of a Gator lover. Got to know all the Denver players when he was there, and never enjoyed a season like that one ever. Thought Elway was a jerk and could never root for the Jets, but I did watch all their games hoping Ryan would wake up and put him in, but never happened- I do go to the 4th pre season game each year because I will at least get to see him play (I am a realist). No one thinks he is going to replace Brady (at least until he retires) I usually just troll- It always amazes me all the haters out there- Sad actually- So, is it hard to get preseason tickets??

Even if Brady retires, if Mallet is still on the roster it is very likely that he would beat out Tebow for the starting job. There are no illusions about it, he is the 3rd string QB on this team. They may very well end up trading Mallet before Brady retires, in which case if Tebow has the patience to sit and learn behind Brady for another 3-4 years, he may very well earn a starting job at some point.

I am rooting for Tebow, hes a great guy, but just because you're a great guy doesn't mean that anything is given to you in the NFL, you have to go out and earn it.

Sanchez-Hits-Tebow-In-The-Head.gif

helluva three cone drill though....
laugh.gif

lol, that should end the "Tebow can play TE!" debate. He has never played TE, hes never proven at any time during his football career that he can play TE and he hasn't proven that he even has the hands to consistently catch the ball at that position.

If Tebow had aspirations to become an NFL TE, New England was not the place to come and try to do that. We have the deepest TE roster in the entire league, with 3 stellar players in Gronk, AHern and Ballard.

Tebow's role on this team, should he even make the team which is a bit of a long shot at this point, would be as a 3rd String Emergency QB/Fullback/Special Teams Ace. He would also be an excellent scout team QB to prepare for upcoming opponents that have QBs like RG3, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, etc.

That being said, there is no other 3rd string emergency QB i would rather have on my roster. If you're relying on your 3rd string QB, then the season is already over, so I'm all for Tebow coming onto the field to try and work his miracles and entertain us.

FAIL

Would you rather have Tebow as the # 2 NE QB or Mallet today?

I would rather have Mallet as the #2 all day and twice on Sunday. Tebow still needs to develop a lot more as an actual QB. Mallet was a top prospect, is the son of a football coach and has been developed in this system now for 3 years.

Tebow got signed on as the 90th player to fill the training camp roster. He couldn't win over the Jets starting QB position and they had one of the worst QB situations in the entire league last year!

Look, Tebow is great as a 3rd string QB who can come in and contribute on special teams, as a fullback and the very rare wild cat type plays. Thats more than we would get out of any other 3rd string QB who usually just rides the bench and is inactive for every game.

18 page discussion about a scrub. Amazing.

18 page discussion about a scrub. Amazing.

Change the viewing format to 40 posts per page. Makes the viewing experience that much more pleasurable.

can I get a trade in using my Ohno Stinko jersey???

lol, that should end the "Tebow can play TE!" debate. He has never played TE, hes never proven at any time during his football career that he can play TE and he hasn't proven that he even has the hands to consistently catch the ball at that position.

If Tebow had aspirations to become an NFL TE, New England was not the place to come and try to do that. We have the deepest TE roster in the entire league, with 3 stellar players in Gronk, AHern and Ballard.

Tebow's role on this team, should he even make the team which is a bit of a long shot at this point, would be as a 3rd String Emergency QB/Fullback/Special Teams Ace. He would also be an excellent scout team QB to prepare for upcoming opponents that have QBs like RG3, Russel Wilson, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, etc.

That being said, there is no other 3rd string emergency QB i would rather have on my roster. If you're relying on your 3rd string QB, then the season is already over, so I'm all for Tebow coming onto the field to try and work his miracles and entertain us.

We're scouting players based on one gif now are we?

100% agree with this. But this could represent a couple of roster spots, giving BB greater flexibility. For that reason alone, I think people are underestimating Tebow's potential value to the team.

100% agree with this. But this could represent a couple of roster spots, giving BB greater flexibility. For that reason alone, I think people are underestimating Tebow's potential value to the team.

Possible. But... Do you expect the legions of TOF (Tebow Only Fans) to be quiet all year as Tebow plays only special teams and plays well as a scout QB? I've already seen multiple posts here about Tebow subbing in on offense for a few snaps at QB in short yardage and in red zone, which is insane to even think about taking TFB off the field. Even compared to Mallet, Mallet is a much better passer and has the skills for the position for the #2 QB spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results