PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

With Mallett the Colts wouldn't have to alter their offense, he's a tall Strong-armed QB that functions almost exclusively from the pocket.

I have to say NO!!!! For the very same reasons why Bledsoe would never have worked in that offense.

Manning never got hit as much as the average QB in the league because NO ONE (save the Brady of 2001) ever got rid of the football as quickly as Peyton Manning.

Mallet is a drop back and look passer who, at this point, takes far longer to release the ball.

Did you actually write that they "wouldn't have to alter their offense"?????????

It's an apples and orange soda comparison.

This thread, a time killer based upon nothing but some random tweet, is the only thread on the first page with 200 or more posts.

It might be nothing but a waste, but it's currently the most popular waste on the site.

Last edited:

What about Carson Palmer? He's the best out there and way better than any of the guys on the list. A one-two of Kerry Collins and Carson Palmer in a disciplined system works for this year and meybe even a transition year or two to Andrew Luck if the Colts can pry him from the Bungles who appear to be the front-runner to land the overall #1 (do they even have their own #1 next year?).

Carson Palmer is a never was on the rapid downslide. He'd only be an option were he available for a 4th round pick or preferably later. Why Cincy would do that deal is the question.

Thats a huge assumption.

There are a number of NFL QB's who fit the physical description of Peyton Manning - but to suggest that they wouldn't have to change their offense appears ridiculous.

Manning really is that Colts offense, he will go down as one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game - any attempt to compare a rookie with zero real snaps to his name is inane.

I never said Mallett is at the same level of skill or repute, you might want to try reading what I WROTE instead of imposing the meaning you want on it.

I said Mallett's in the mold of Manning, which he is, and he plays a very similar physical game, which he does. That would make for a much easier transition than a different type of QB.

The Patriots already have 2 first round picks next year. If the Colts were to offer their first for Mallett, I'd suggest we all help him get out of town.

Package the picks, plus anything else needed, for the #1 overall. Get Luck (assuming his play continues to back up the accolades). Let him learn behind Brady.

Win

Ping pong pow..... ;)

I never said Mallett is at the same level of skill or repute, you might want to try reading what I WROTE instead of imposing the meaning you want on it.

I said Mallett's in the mold of Manning, which he is, and he plays a very similar physical game, which he does. That would make for a much easier transition than a different type of QB.

Except for the fact that Mallet holds the ball about 2.5 seconds longer than Manning who has the quickest release outside of the 2001 Brady.

Other than that, they are mirror images.

Last edited:

I have to say NO!!!! For the very same reasons why Bledsoe would never have worked in that offense.

Manning never got hit as much as the average QB in the league because NO ONE (save the Brady of 2001) ever got rid of the football as quickly as Peyton Manning.

Mallet is a drop back and look passer who, at this point, takes far longer to release the ball.

Did you actually write that they "wouldn't have to alter their offense"?????????

It's an apples and orange soda comparison.

Peyton Manning The Greatest NFL Quarterback ever. - YouTube

Yeah, I've seen plenty of Manning and there are many times he gets rid of the ball quickly, this is usually when Marvin Harrison is WIDE open at that point, but I've also seen him hang onto the ball for quite a while, this usually occurs when his receivers are covered. There might be a trend there.

Peyton Manning The Greatest NFL Quarterback ever. - YouTube

Yeah, I've seen plenty of Manning and there are many times he gets rid of the ball quickly, this is usually when Marvin Harrison is WIDE open at that point, but I've also seen him hang onto the ball for quite a while, this usually occurs when his receivers are covered. There might be a trend there.

Seriously. Come on.

If you are not going to recognize the difference between the Quickest Release in Football and Drew Bledsoe 2.0 (if he becomes that good), then we will just have to agree to disagree here.

The only thing similar about Mallet and Manning's playing style or "mold" is that they both require wearing a helmet.

What you wrote is just a huge jump of the shark.

Last edited:

Except for the fact that Mallet holds the ball about 2.5 seconds longer than Manning who has the quickest release outside of the 2001 Brady.

Other than that, they are mirror images.

Also, no rookie QB can read defenses like Manning. A guy like Mallet will get killed behind the Colts O-line which would be unable to pick up the slack for the lost Q awareness. That team was built around Manning's football intelligence as well as his physical abilities and experience.

Seriously. Come on.

If you are not going to recognize the difference between the Quickest Release in Football and Drew Bledsoe 2.0 (if he becomes that good), then we will just have to agree to disagree here.

Take a look at that clip, I DARE you, and tell me how many of those throws other QBs couldnt make, and also tell me if Mallett couldnt make them.

I do agree that Mallett's release is too long and that he would do very well to shorten it, he doesnt need the level of power he gets from his full release and it increases the likelihood of a throw being off, but it's also unfair to have the exact same expectations for a rookie than a seasoned Manning.

LOL.

You said that they wouldn't have to change their offense.

Based upon that the fact they have similar physiques.

Ha ha.

Thats hilarious and absurd.

With every fumble and flop from Kerry Collins, the price is going up for Mallett (if it's true... obviously)

Why trade for Mallet when you're practically guaranteed Andrew Luck

LOL.

You said that they wouldn't have to change their offense.

Based upon that the fact they have similar physiques.

Ha ha.

Thats hilarious and absurd.

Reading comprehension is a good thing, you don't have it. My comment was based upon how the 2 QBs play, their respective builds factor into that.

Any chance the Pats had of getting the Colts' #1 next year is going down the tubes right now. The Colts look "Andrew Luck bad" right now against Houston. 24-0 Houston with 7:00 left in 2nd quarter.

With Mallett the Colts wouldn't have to alter their offense, he's a tall Strong-armed QB that functions almost exclusively from the pocket.

How many ways are there to read this nonsense?

Its not exactly cryptic.

Last edited:

1) Because the only way to *guarantee* they get Luck is to intentionally throw some games, a lot of games this year to insure they get the #1 overall pick. They aren't going to be the only team to suck this year. Even if they did that they may not be the only team taking that approach. Their fans would love that (not!). Polian would be getting death threats.

2) Or if they don't get the #1 overall pick they won't be the only team drooling over Luck. Can you say bidding war? Getting away with "only" giving up a 1st rounder for a QB of the future would look awfully cheap in comparison.

3) Or because Luck could get seriously hurt between now and spring 2012.

4) Or because Luck may regress like Jake Locker did from 2009 to 2010. Then would they even want him?

A qb in the hand is worth two in the bush. :)

Wow, the Colts really suck without Payton :cool:

Even Mallett would not help them. Save their draft pick and get Luck next year.

Maybe Luck will see how bad the Colts O-Line is and decide to stay in school for his senior year. That would be pretty funny, if the Colts got the #1 pick and Luck, Barkley and Landry Jones all stayed in school.

Take a look at that clip, I DARE you, and tell me how many of those throws other QBs couldnt make, and also tell me if Mallett couldnt make them.

I do agree that Mallett's release is too long and that he would do very well to shorten it, he doesnt need the level of power he gets from his full release and it increases the likelihood of a throw being off, but it's also unfair to have the exact same expectations for a rookie than a seasoned Manning.

You wrote that they are in the same MOLD.

And I'm saying that's like saying Bledsoe and Brady were in the same mold. They are two completely different TYPES of QB.

Mallet has an incredible arm. The Colts offense is based on Manning getting rid of the ball quickly before his receiver usually even makes his cut.

Mallet could be a great QB for Indy. But these two QB's are not in the "same mold".

Mallet is far closer to the "mold" of Brother Eli.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back