PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

Any chance the Pats had of getting the Colts' #1 next year is going down the tubes right now. The Colts look "Andrew Luck bad" right now against Houston. 24-0 Houston with 7:00 left in 2nd quarter.

How does a 0% chance get any lower?

Reading comprehension is a good thing, you don't have it. My comment was based upon how the 2 QBs play, their respective builds factor into that.

They play two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STYLES.

How do you continue to not comprehend that point that people are telling you in plain English?????????

Last edited:

1.) As has been discussed many times, the Patriots could have gotten a first for Cassel.
No they couldn't. Just because you misststed it many times doesn't make it true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hindsight is always 20/20. A lot of GM's wish they had taken a flyer on Mallett. Considering Ijalana couldn't beat out a JAG OT in a season when Manning's future is now debatable, Polian is possibly one of them. I don't think anyone other than Josh still thinks Tebow was worth a #1...if he even does... Tebow lacks skill. Mallett doesn't. Teams questioned if Mallett has the intangibles. All Tebow has are intangibles... You can win with a talented QB who lacks intangibles (to some extent). You can't win with a QB who has little more than intangibles...
Why would anyones opinion of Mallett have changed.
Rumors flew that he was up all night partying at the rookie symposium.
He showed in preseason he had a big arm and questionable football cerebrum.
Nothing at all has changed.

Your argument above says that everyone acted totally contrary to what you say they all believe.
I'll go with their actions rather than someones description of why their actions and their beliefs are diametrically opposed.
You are arguing that Tebow is only intangibles and you cant win with and Mallett lacks intangible but you can win with that, yet the only indication we have of value tells us teams feel opposite of that. BTW, lets not use the one guy drafted him excuse because there were numerous reports that Tebow was going soon if the Broncos didnt take him.

No they couldn't. Just because misststed it many times doesn't make it true.

People seem to conveniently forget the guaranteed salary Cassel was going to be owed that next season.

Of course the Patriots could have gotten a 1st...they just chose NOT to :rolleyes::rolleyes:

For me it's not the draft status, it's the physical tools. I have a lot of respect for Hoyer, but he's just not the "upside" guy teams stake their dreams on. Barely 6'2", average athlete, average arm strength -- the same kind of stuff that left Colt McCoy so underrated in the draft. (And yes, I did say so about McCoy at the time! ;))
McCoy was drafted higher than Mallett. Just saying.

People seem to conveniently forget the guaranteed salary Cassel was going to be owed that next season.

Of course the Patriots could have gotten a 1st...they just chose NOT to :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Right, it comes from a guy who likes to criticize BB.
His MO is to make something up, argue then come back later and say 'thats lalready been discussed' as if to prove he is right.
Other beauties include "That cap hasn't affect teams for years, Miguel says so" (FYI Miguel doesnt)
Nick Kaczur won the starting LG job last by virtue of practicing there once.
We could have kept Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork, even though we only had one tag, and Seymour already held out once.
And on and on and on.

They play two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STYLES.

How do you continue to not comprehend that point that people are telling you in plain English?????????

Ok, please tell me the exact differences between their styles and why Mallett is incapable of adapting his style of play to bridge any differences.

If you were to tell me that Mallett and Roethlisburger have different styles I'd agree with you, telling me that Mallett and Manning are COMPLETELY different, sorry, don't see it, I see Mallett as being a a very good fit for what they do.

Ok, please tell me the exact differences between their styles and why Mallett is incapable of adapting his style of play to bridge any differences.

If you were to tell me that Mallett and Roethlisburger have different styles I'd agree with you, telling me that Mallett and Manning are COMPLETELY different, sorry, don't see it, I see Mallett as being a a very good fit for what they do.

The 2.5 second difference in getting rid of the ball.

Plus the fact that Manning checks off several times at the line of scrimmage and directs the other 10 players on the field. Mallet still can't read an opposing NFL defense.

Is that enough for you? Or, are you just pulling everyone's leg at this point?

Last edited:

Plus the fact that Manning checks off several times at the line of scrimmage and directs the other 10 players on the field. Mallet still can't read an opposing NFL defense.

And when you've finished that assignment, i'd like you to explain the difference between night and day.

Sure one is light and one is dark, but they are essentially parts of the SAME DAY.

In fairness I dont think he is comparing Mallett before he takes an NFL snap to Manning after 13 years.
BTW, Parcells said today the Colts have 6 or 7 running plays and 10 or 12 pass plays.
The most overrated thing in the NFL is that Manning mentally carries the other 10 people on the field. Manning is given 3 plays and he goes to the line and chooses 1. That isn't exactly rocket science.
Manning is good because he is good, not because he is on a different mental plane.

Did you bother to look at that clip I posted? When the QB gets rid of the ball is dependent on when the receiver gets open, he has to be already open or needs to be able to get open by the time the ball gets there. I've seen Mallett get rid of the ball very fast on quick slants.

As far as reading defenses, how good was Manning at it his 1st year? Mallett won't be as good nor should you expect him to be, but my all accounts he has a VERY high football IQ and went back and forth with BB for MULTIPLE HOURS discussing and breaking down plays, and he didnt say "uncle", BB couldnt wear him out.

It all comes down to the smartest place to put your resources, I think right now Mallett is a better fit for them than any 2012 QB after this season is over, and it's not a lock that those QBs will be available to them.

Last edited:

And when you've finished that assignment, i'd like you to explain the difference between night and day.

Sure one is light and one is dark, but they are essentially parts of the SAME DAY.

Which means they are in the "same mold"!!! :D

Mallet still can't read an opposing NFL defense.

Where do you get that? Please explain.

Because he's been in the NFL 49 days.

So you're going by that judgement alone, as opposed to actually watching what he did in the preseason?

McCoy was drafted higher than Mallett. Just saying.

Where Mallett was drafted is beside the point. If he's got the goods, he'll be the next guy here or somewhere else. But why would the Colts trade anything right now for Mallett? They'd be better off with some veteran fill-ins like Collins or Carson Palmer and if the other 52 suck as much as we might think, they tank the season and go for Andrew Luck.

Where Mallett was drafted is beside the point. If he's got the goods, he'll be the next guy here or somewhere else. But why would the Colts trade anything right now for Mallett? They'd be better off with some veteran fill-ins like Collins or Carson Palmer and if the other 52 suck as much as we might think, they tank the season and go for Andrew Luck.
Well its relative to the post I responded to that said Hoyer was more like McCoy who fell in the draft because of it.

The real relevance to this thread about where Mallett was drafted was that not a single thing has happened since then to influence anyones (Other than the Pats who see him every day) opinion of him.
To suggest that he has gone from a 3rd round pick to tradable for what will be a top 10 in all liklihood is crazy when he has done nothing to elevate anyones opinion of him.

So you're going by that judgement alone, as opposed to actually watching what he did in the preseason?

Preseason??? You mean against transient 3rd string players/street free agents who don't know their own defense yet?

Tell me what defensive "schemes" do you see in the fourth quarters of preseason games?

Last edited:

Preseason??? You mean against 3rd string players/street free agents who don't know their own defense yet?

If they made it all the way to the NFL, surely they know how to play the game.

Well its relative to the post I responded to that said Hoyer was more like McCoy who fell in the draft because of it.

The real relevance to this thread about where Mallett was drafted was that not a single thing has happened since then to influence anyones (Other than the Pats who see him every day) opinion of him.
To suggest that he has gone from a 3rd round pick to tradable for what will be a top 10 in all liklihood is crazy when he has done nothing to elevate anyones opinion of him.

I agree. If the Colts - who got killed by the Texans today - make a move, it will be for late-round picks. Mallett could fetch multi-year late-rounders but I doubt it's worth it for either team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back