PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

Same basic operation for both players.

The thing that would keep Manning out for life would be fear of further damage to his neck, not that his accuracy or ability to quickly read a defense would suffer.

The point remains: If Collins doesn't work out, the Colts need a vet QB for this year, not a rookie. They aren't going to give up a first for a QB when Manning might be back. That makes no sense.

Give up the first only IF manning doesn't come back, and they won't know for 2-3 months. Time enough to think about trading when they know more.

Talk about a tempest in a teapot.

I have to disagree. The Colts have acknowledged that they need to find Manning's future replacement, whether its via a trade or via the draft. By trading for a Mallett or Tebow (or another young QB), they get a young QB into the system NOW. Someone who can learn and and be a solid back-up to Manning should Manning return next year. If Manning doesn't return, then they can either go with Tebow or Mallett (or the other young QB) in a trial by fire status, keeping Collins as the vet or having Collins continue until the youngster is able to take over.

By bringing in a youngster NOW, the Colts give themselves an additional 6-9 months of learning process for that youngster to get familiarized with the offense. That takes them to the draft where they'll know whether or not they have their future prodigy.

I don't see it being a 1st rounder in 2012, but I could see it being a conditional 1st in 2013..

Last edited:

You assume that they're trying to do something OTHER than tank the Season in hopes of landing Andrew Luck. That is really the most Polian-esque of all of their planning possibilities.

Tebow was drafted in the 1st round. There were rumors that other teams were ready to take him shortly after.
Mallett was taken 83rd.
Those are facts.

No they aren't. Mallett was drafted at 74 with the 10th pick in the 3rd round.

New England Patriots: Ryan Mallett

Patriots.com said:
Ryan Mallett was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round (74th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft.

Who are these other teams that were rumored to be ready to take Tebow if Denver hadn't at #25??

Of all the interesting, intruiging stoylines from the first week of the new NFL season...and THIS ridiculous thread is still garnering attention?

:dudegettingcoveredinbricks:

Why trade for Mallet when you're practically guaranteed Andrew Luck

Because there is nothing about Andrew Luck that is a guarantee..

McCoy was drafted higher than Mallett. Just saying.

McCoy and Mallett were drafted higher than Brady... Just sayin...

I read a comment the other day almost breathlessly claiming that Rob Rang of CBS NFL DraftScout has christened him the best QB prospect he has ever scouted.

Thing is, Rob Rang is a thirty something HS english teacher who never played the game on any level who simply had the great good fortune to decide to create a draft scouting website as a college credit exercise only to have mediots start seeking out his expert analysis...

Welcome to NFL analysis in the internet age...

Mo, you seem to be misinformed. NFLDraftScout was not created by Rang. It was created by Bill Walsh and Frank Cooney back in 1997. Rang was hired on back in 2001 or 2002, I forget exactly.

BTW, Joel Buschbaum never played the game on any level and "simply had the good fortune" to submit his analysis to types like Ernie Acorsi...That is not to say that Rang is half as good as Buschbaum, but to point out the silliness of denegrating someone for the lack of on field experience for the sport.

Now, THERE'S a team that would have no hesitation in sending us a #1 this week for Mallet!

Jerry doesn't have the animosity and obsession with the Patriots that Polian/Irsay have.

Jerry Jones is also a huge Arkansas supporter since that's where he went to college.

There were a few links and blogs about Jerry Jones being interested in
Mallet before the draft.

Ryan Mallett Could Replace Tony Romo as the Dallas Cowboys’ Quarterback | Dallas Cowboys

Are the Cowboys Goin' Hogging?

Dallas Cowboys Draft Prospect Ryan Mallett Tops Cam Newton at NFL Combine | Dallas Cowboys

After watching Romo blow the game against the Jets, today Jerry
Jones gave Romo a vote of confidence (the kiss of death).

Jerry Jones talks up Tony Romo | ProFootballTalk
The last time Jerry gave someone a vote of confidence, it was Wade Phillips.. And he was gone not to long later..

I have to disagree. The Colts have acknowledged that they need to find Manning's future replacement, whether its via a trade or via the draft. By trading for a Mallett or Tebow (or another young QB), they get a young QB into the system NOW. Someone who can learn and and be a solid back-up to Manning should Manning return next year. If Manning doesn't return, then they can either go with Tebow or Mallett (or the other young QB) in a trial by fire status, keeping Collins as the vet or having Collins continue until the youngster is able to take over.

By bringing in a youngster NOW, the Colts give themselves an additional 6-9 months of learning process for that youngster to get familiarized with the offense. That takes them to the draft where they'll know whether or not they have their future prodigy.

I don't see it being a 1st rounder in 2012, but I could see it being a conditional 1st in 2013..

Also...even without Manning,last time I looked,Indy still plays indoors a minimum of 9 games a year.....6 and 10,at worst,to me......They won't get a sniff of Andrew Luck:rocker:

what is guaranteed?

Peyton Manning was pretty much the only guarantee that comes to mind.
Every year, someone gets put into the spot as the "franchise QB in waiting" - often by default...but I think PManning would have been "the man" in 1983 or 2004.

Living on the west coast, I have had the opportunity to witness Andrew Luck play. He is a phenomenal QB, with a strong arm, an accurate passer who can also run when necessary. He is a terrific pocket QB, NFL ready -- as ready as you can be playing in a major college program.

Luck would have been the 1st draft pick last draft and he will surely (barring serious injury) be the 1st pick next year.

There are few consolations to being the worst team in the NFL. But getting to pick Luck to lead your team for the next decade is actually something to look forward to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes