PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

If they offered their 2012 first, I'd be willing to bet that the Patriots will do it. It will likely be in the #7-12 range; great return on the pick for the Pats, and the Colts would be getting a first round talent in the first year of a third round contract.

Even if Mallett doesn't pan out, it won't be any more wasted for the Colts than their last five first rounders.

That would be a steal for the Pats, but does anyone actually believe that the Colt's would trade a potential top 10 pick for a quarterback taken in round 3 who has only played a few preseason games? When a proven QB like Garrard is on the market?

That would be a steal for the Pats, but does anyone actually believe that the Colt's would trade a potential top 10 pick for a quarterback taken in round 3 who has only played a few preseason games? When a proven QB like Garrard is on the market?

Or Carson Palmer?

Ryan Mallett is an ideal fit in the Patriots' system, but if he did get traded to the Colts, he would do fine. Depending on what the team gets in return, the team should consider it. There are plenty of quarterbacks with strong arms in the draft every year, so Mallett could easily be replaced.

Everyone agrees with you that the Pats would do it in a minute if Bill Polian actually offerered a first rounder.

The "if" is what is being debated.

Rest assured, if Indy were to offer a 1st to NE for Mallet, that means that Polian has been fired.

1- What are they going to do with that pick? Probably get a QB, they need one BAD. Why risk not getting Luck when you're guaranteed to get Mallett with that pick via trade?

2- Garrard has proven he’s nothing more than a JAG, so he’ll suck this season. They’ll also likely suck with Mallett but he’s actually got some big time potential, so why not take your licks now because your season will fail anyway, next season Mallett will have more experience and can begin the road to getting the franchise back on its feet.

3 - Where Mallett was taken is irrelevant.

Last edited:

.....2- Garrard has proven he’s nothing more than a JAG

Nice double entendre.

In the meantime, look up Polian, Bill and research his relationship with the New England Patriots.

Last edited:

Thread title reminds me of the Bond movie, Goldfinger. What was her name again? Never mind, rethorical question.:cool:

1- What are they going to do with that pick? Probably get a QB, they need one BAD. Why risk not getting Luck when you're guaranteed to get Mallett with that pick via trade?

2- Garrard has proven he’s nothing more than a JAG, so he’ll suck this season. They’ll also likely suck with Mallett but he’s actually got some big time potential, so why not take your licks now because your season will fail anyway, next season Mallett will have more experience and can begin the road to getting the franchise back on its feet.

3 - Where Mallett was taken is irrelevant.

Where Mallett was taken is not irrelevant. He was taken this past draft and hasn't shown he is worth a top 10 pick. He was passed over by every NFL team, but because of a few preseason games the Colts now feel he is top 10 talent? He hasn't taken an official NFL snap. If any GM trades a 1st, especially one that high for Mallett, he should be fired on the spot.

Last edited:

Where Mallett was taken is not irrelevant. He was taken this past draft and hasn't shown he is worth a top 10 pick. He was passed over by every NFL team, but because of a few preseason games the Colts now feel he is top 10 talent? He hasn't taken an official NFL snap. If any GM trades a 1st, especially one that high for Mallett, he should be fired on the spot.

Has a player ever surprised anyone, in both a good and bad way? Like if the draft would have been redone the player would have gone higher or lower than where they were drafted? Yeah, it happens all the time.

As I said previously, has Mallett demonstarted that he's the character risk people claimed he was? He might have done some partying before the rookie symposium, big deal, he’s been completely professional with regards to his football responsibilities

That said, how many top 10 picks have shown they’re worth top 10 picks one week into the season?

That said, how many top 10 picks have shown they’re worth top 10 picks one week into the season?

Il tell you this much, no unproven 3rd round quarterback is worth a top ten pick 0 games into the season. Clearly teams don't value him as high as you do (most teams passed over him atleast twice). You don't actually think you can flip Mallett for a first based off some preseason games... please tell me you don't believe that. Not saying he doesn't have potential, but that is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. This is why fans should never be GMs.

Your last sentence says it all.

.......and SnakeEyes STILL ignores the question when considering it is Bill Polian that he expects to be the one to acknowledge defeat and make that trade with New England.

It is as if he never heard of Polian and his history with the Patriots.

Last edited:

I never said he doesn't. I merely said 'we don't know yet'.

You, on the other hand wrote "However, he has demonstrated that he has the tools and the ability to recognize, based on what he has shown this preseason."

Sorry, I'm not buying that until I see him actually face a real-live NFL defense. You made a statement that was simply flimsy given that he has faced a real NFL defense yet. It's fine to say 'I hope he can demonstrate that he has the tools and the ability to recognize an NFL defense'. However, you wrote that he already has.

Yes I wrote that he already has demonstrated a fundamental grasp of reading defense, such as pre-snap identification based on either sending someone into motion or a hard count to get the D to tip it's hand, both of which are methods to identifying the coverage you are going to get and what direction it is coming from (so that you can assign the mike and the direction of the blocking scheme). KOC never got the hang of it and would just haphazardly identify the mike, and I would think that this drove BB nuts.

There is a purpose to preseason, if you know what to look for. It's not as useless as you portray it to be, otherwise it would not be an integral part of the NFL.

Yes I wrote that he already has demonstrated a fundamental grasp of reading defense, such as pre-snap identification based on either sending someone into motion or a hard count to get the D to tip it's hand, both of which are methods to identifying the coverage you are going to get and what direction it is coming from (so that you can assign the mike and the direction of the blocking scheme). KOC never got the hang of it and would just haphazardly identify the mike, and I would think that this drove BB nuts.

There is a purpose to preseason, if you know what to look for. It's not as useless as you portray it to be, otherwise it would not be an integral part of the NFL.

4th quarters of preseason games are quite useless when deciphering whether a rookie QB can handle a real live NFL defense.

ESPECIALLY in a year where there were NO spring camps and OTA's and the street free agents haven't had enough time to know where to park at the stadium.

So, yes, I disagree with your point.

Il tell you this much, no unproven 3rd round quarterback is worth a top ten pick 0 games into the season. Clearly teams don't value him as high as you do (most teams passed over him atleast twice). You don't actually think you can flip Mallett for a first based off some preseason games... please tell me you don't believe that. Not saying he doesn't have potential, but that is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. This is why fans should never be GMs.

Let’s look at Jake Locker, his team is 1 week into the season, was he worth a top 10 pick? Most players, even top 10 picks, don’t generally perform like top talents this early, they’re picked that high because of potential. You seem hung up on him being drafted in the 3rd round, that doesn’t mean teams wouldn’t draft differently if they could do it over, would Ridley have gone higher, I think so. Would Watkins have gone lower, I think that’s a lock.

Mallett was pretty much a consensus top 15 talent that fell because of character concerns, yet he’s behaved himself completely under one of the best coaches in the league who tolerates the least amount of nonsense. It’s looking like those character concerns were vastly overblown.

That said, Indy wasn’t in DESPERATE NEED of a QB during the draft, if they were things would likely have been different.

As for flipping Mallett for a 1st, it probably won’t happen because I think many GMs think inside of flawed paradigms like yourself, many would spend a high round pick on a college kid with 0 NFL experience yet they probably wouldn’t give up anything for a guy like Hoyer, with a little NFL experience that has been consistently solid.

4th quarters of preseason games are quite useless when deciphering whether a rookie QB can handle a real live NFL defense.

ESPECIALLY in a year where there were NO spring camps and OTA's and the street free agents haven't had enough time to know where to park at the stadium.

So, yes, I disagree with your point.

His INT came in the 3rd quarter.

The Colts may view Mallett as a better fit for their offense, than Luck. If their thinking is to keep the same offense that they have run with Peyton, Mallett is a big guy with a rocket arm and who isn't all that mobile, but with some coaching on his footwork can move just enough in the pocket to be effective.

Contrast that with Luck
Stanford Football : Andrew Luck #12 : 2010 Heisman Trophy Candidate - YouTube

Luck seems to make a lot of his throws from outside the pocket rolling away, and scrambling inside the pocket. From a long term view for a player seen to be a career franchise QB, Luck's style would have less of a shelf life than Mallett.

The Colts may view Mallett as a better fit for their offense, than Luck. If their thinking is to keep the same offense that they have run with Peyton, Mallett is a big guy with a rocket arm and who isn't all that mobile, but with some coaching on his footwork can move just enough in the pocket to be effective.

Contrast that with Luck

Luck seems to make a lot of his throws from outside the pocket rolling away, and scrambling inside the pocket. From a long term view for a player seen to be a career franchise QB, Luck's style would have less of a shelf life than Mallett.

That kind of talk is heresy around here.

Contrast that with Luck

Or if you've seen Indy's recent drafting and developing history for the OL, they may realize that they need a QB who can run for his life.

Some merit in these observations

But the mantra here is always "You can't judge a draft for 3 years". If that is true, one decent and one meh pre-season game and camp is clearly NOT enough to affect his 'value'.

In further perspective, some GMs were STILL skeptical of Cassell after going 11-5 as a Pats starter.

But the mantra here is always "You can't judge a draft for 3 years". If that is true, one decent and one meh pre-season game and camp is clearly NOT enough to affect his 'value'.

In further perspective, some GMs were STILL skeptical of Cassell after going 11-5 as a Pats starter.

That said, you're assuming that everyone in the NFL draft acts rationally. That most certainly is NOT a given in the NFL (see: Davis, Al). As I pointed out elsewhere, one team made an offer for Myron Pryor his rookie season.

Why would you be more skeptical, and hesitant to part with a 1st for Cassell than with a kid who has never played a down in the NFL?

I'm not saying you're incorrect in how GMs view things, only that their views dont make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes