PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

Preseason??? You mean against transient 3rd string players/street free agents who don't know their own defense yet?

Tell me what defensive "schemes" do you see in the fourth quarters of preseason games?

Wouldnt that mean he's playing with transient 3rd string players/street free agents who don't know their own offense yet?

Wouldnt that mean he's playing with transient 3rd string players/street free agents who don't know their own offense yet?

Pay attention. Patspsycho asked why I wasn't considering what Mallet did in the preseason.

One cannot say that Mallet knows how to read NFL defenses since HE HASN'T SEEN ONE YET.

McCoy was drafted higher than Mallett. Just saying.

No Andy, he wasn't. Again, Mallett was drafted #74 overall. (McCoy was #85.)

Regardless, draft position is now irrelevant. Tebow and Clausen WERE actually drafted higher than McCoy. Think Denver wouldn't rather have McCoy now?

For the record: I don't think the Colts will spend a 1st on anybody at this point, because no one player can come close to curing what ails them. But I do think that Ryan Mallett is the best potentially-available QB for the Colts' situation, and that the Pats would not accept a 2nd for a guy who looks like an early-3rd bargain.

Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

What if Mallett turns the Colts into a dominating force in the next 5-7 years? I don't think I could deal with that...worst trade in Pats history...it's a risk.

Why is it so difficult to understand what the Colts 2011 season is all about? It is about competing for the Andrew Luck Bowl -- seriously. This is the master plan hatched by the Polians and Manning for succession in Indy. Manning gets a year of rehab and $26 million; Colts get their franchise QB for the next 15 years in Luck. The rest of the NFL were all let in to the Colts' strategy today.

So, if you are a Colts fan -- take a year off and then come back to enjoy the next two decades.

Why is it so difficult to understand what the Colts 2011 season is all about? It is about competing for the Andrew Luck Bowl -- seriously. This is the master plan hatched by the Polians and Manning for succession in Indy. Manning gets a year of rehab and $26 million; Colts get their franchise QB for the next 15 years in Luck. The rest of the NFL were all let in to the Colts' strategy today.

So, if you are a Colts fan -- take a year off and then come back to enjoy the next two decades.

What is the obsession with Luck?,Is he like the best prospect coming out of college since Manning?

Sure sounds like it from this boards opinion

People appear to have forgotten that the transition from college football to the NFL is rarely a smooth or predictable one.

Luck does look good yes, but the sheer amount of hyperbole about him being a franchise NFL QB is ridiculous.

That sounds like when my cat tries to jump between two pieces of furniture and misses. He falls flat on his face and gets up with a look that says "What the hell are you laughing at? I planned that a week ago." :D

What if Mallett turns the Colts into a dominating force in the next 5-7 years? I don't think I could deal with that...worst trade in Pats history...it's a risk.

If that's what BB thinks . . .

Gillette Stadium, Bill Belichick's office. The phone rings.

Belichick: "New England Patriots. Belichick speaking."

Polian: "Hi, Bill. It's Bill Polian, from the Colts."

Belichick (in a voice that would freeze water): "Hello. What do you want?"

Polian: "Well, we were wondering, how much would you want for Ryan Mallett?"

Belichick: "Hmmm. . . . Given what we think he can do for us, and what he could do for you. . . . Oh, about five first-rounders."

Polian: "Oh. How about Brian Hoyer?"

Belichick: "For you, a special price. Two first-rounders."

Polian: "Thanks. We'll, um, get back to you if we want to make a trade."

Polian hangs up.

Belichick calls Nick Caserio and Floyd Reese.

Belichick: "Guys, get in here. Bring some popcorn. You're going to love this."

:p

Last edited:

What is the obsession with Luck?,Is he like the best prospect coming out of college since Manning?

Hes been touted as the best QB since Manning by a lot of the pundits, I dont know enough about him myself to agree or disagree with that assessment.

Take a look at that clip, I DARE you, and tell me how many of those throws other QBs couldnt make, and also tell me if Mallett couldnt make them. I do agree that Mallett's release is too long and that he would do very well to shorten it, he doesnt need the level of power he gets from his full release and it increases the likelihood of a throw being off, but it's also unfair to have the exact same expectations for a rookie than a seasoned Manning.
People act as if Manning was born a winner... He was as up and down as his team the first 3-4 years...how could they all forget his HC getting canned after a postgame meltdown..."playoffs...playoffs...". Manning worked at his craft and he learned to read defenses (and not complex disguised ones like Belichick's until eight years into his illustrious career...). Before 2004 he was essentially a regular season empty stats generator in an offense predicated on slinging the ball. Whether he's replaced by a Luck or a Mallett, they will probably take at least as long to fully develop - if they ever do. Personally I think the Colts are screwed no matter what tack they take going forward if Peyton is toast. They don't have the coaching talent onboard to develop talent any more.

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% AV 1998 22 IND QB 18 16 16 3-13-0 326 575 56.7 3739 26 4.5 28 4.9 78 6.5 5.2 11.5 233.7 71.2 22 109 6.1 4.8 3.7 11 1999 23 IND QB 18 16 16 13-3-0 331 533 62.1 4135 26 4.9 15 2.8 80 7.8 7.5 12.5 258.4 90.7 14 116 7.3 7.1 2.6 18 2000 24 IND QB 18 16 16 10-6-0 357 571 62.5 4413 33 5.8 15 2.6 78 7.7 7.7 12.4 275.8 94.7 20 131 7.2 7.2 3.4 18 2001 25 IND QB 18 16 16 6-10-0 343 547 62.7 4131 26 4.8 23 4.2 86 7.6 6.6 12.0 258.2 84.1 29 232 6.8 5.9 5.0 15 2002 26 IND QB 18 16 16 10-6-0 392 591 66.3 4200 27 4.6 19 3.2 69 7.1 6.6 10.7 262.5 88.8 23 145 6.6 6.1 3.7 15

Last edited:

You can't play for the first overall pick unless you tank every game of the season. Even if you win only one game, there could be another team who does it and beat you for the tiebreaker. The Colts aren't playing for the #1 overall pick. they just suck.

Besidesm even though Luck is the best QB prospect in years, it doesn't guarantee him to be a good QB in the NFL.

Last edited:

People appear to have forgotten that the transition from college football to the NFL is rarely a smooth or predictable one.

Luck does look good yes, but the sheer amount of hyperbole about him being a franchise NFL QB is ridiculous.

I read a comment the other day almost breathlessly claiming that Rob Rang of CBS NFL DraftScout has christened him the best QB prospect he has ever scouted.

Thing is, Rob Rang is a thirty something HS english teacher who never played the game on any level who simply had the great good fortune to decide to create a draft scouting website as a college credit exercise only to have mediots start seeking out his expert analysis...

Welcome to NFL analysis in the internet age...

I read a comment the other day almost breathlessly claiming that Rob Rang of CBS NFL DraftScout has christened him the best QB prospect he has ever scouted.

Thing is, Rob Rang is a thirty something HS english teacher who never played the game on any level who simply had the great good fortune to decide to create a draft scouting website as a college credit exercise only to have mediots start seeking out his expert analysis...

Welcome to NFL analysis in the internet age...

Yup - thats an excellent example of style over substance.

Its the ESPN method of 'information' overload - the theory is; if they tell you something often enough you'll take it as proven fact to the point you won't even question the source.

Actually thats a method employed by a large majority of mainstream media today...but thats another story ;)

Woah woah woah. Rang actually does understand a lot about football and to his credit he created what is regarded as the best draft resource out there. To call the success he has had luck is insulting. Are there more knowledgeable people out there? Sure, but let's not chastise a guy for having a bit of success and a fairly well versed opinion. But hey what the hell, Chris Brown is also just a lawyer and twitter is Hitler.

If you've watched any Stanford games you'd understand why people are so high on him. He looks to be a very very good NFL prospect.

Pay attention. Patspsycho asked why I wasn't considering what Mallet did in the preseason.

One cannot say that Mallet knows how to read NFL defenses since HE HASN'T SEEN ONE YET.

You are correct in that he hasn't seen or played against a top-notch NFL defensive scheme.

However, he has demonstrated that he has the tools and the ability to recognize, based on what he has shown this preseason. His very first interception was in fact, not his fault. He correctly recognized zone blitz which in basic schemes turns your routes hot. Slater, Ross, Farnham and others failed to recognize this. Mallet saw this, and his only error was not throwing to the sideline or to an eligible receivers feet to get rid of the ball safely.

No way the Colts will finish 2-14 .... 3-13 .... or 4-12.
They may not be great but there still is a decent team there and they have a fairly easy schedule.

I didn't read every post so I don't know if someone mentioned this but there is NO WAY that the Colts can afford Manning and Luck even with the rookie pay scale....If they tried to do this then the rest of their team would suck for a long time until they could free up cap room when Manning retires....I can't see them doing this at all.....In theory it sounds good to Colts fans but in reality, don't think it's a possibility...

No way the Colts will finish 2-14 .... 3-13 .... or 4-12.
They may not be great but there still is a decent team there and they have a fairly easy schedule.
I think the Colts will benefit from playing in the same division as the Jags and Titans and they will get to play the Browns, Bengals and the Panthers who all could very well suck despite "ok" performances in week 1. I would say that schedule definately has some difficulty in it because they have to play the Ravens, Steelers, Saints, Pats and the Texans once more. They also play the Falcons, Bucs and Chiefs (all of whom I think are better than how they played this weekend). But when you play Cincy, Browns, Jags x2, Titans x2 and the Panthers, you have some room for error.

But yeah, I agree that having them win only 4 games or less is a bit of a stretch. I could see them winning 6-7 games, maybe one or two more depending on how the Bucs and Chiefs rebound from week 1. And if Collins really does get acclimated and the offense improves maybe 8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore