PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Revis "to hit the market?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would the team have any say in "going after their first rounder," Jay? The tampering charges have been filed a long time ago.

The punishment is up to Goodell and shouldn't have anything to do with where Revis ends up--only that the technical term of "tampering" took place.

I love your defensive breakdowns and value your opinion, but if you think the Patriots are going to get the Jets 1st round draft pick in April, I'd say that you'd have lost your mind. Just my opinion, as maybe you'll be right.

Haha, oh I'd say it's safe to assume there's no way in hell the Pats actually get it.

Regardless of how he positions himself publicly and the feelings here, he is without question controlled by Kraft. If you have built billion dollar businesses, odds are you are a tad crafty when it comes to leverage and very smart about when and how to turn the blade of power.

All the filing of the tampering charges did was put a bargaining piece on the table for future use. There's no timetable on it and you have to believe that these types of things are solved in a back room kind of way. Kraft owns Goodell, literally and figuratively. There's no doubt in my mind that the Jets and Jets sympathizers in the office are who the Pats blame for deflategate. Kraft is pissed, Goodell is a lame duck, and this is the perfect time to yank on the leash to gain something. There's no question that a blatant FU out of New Jersey could cause Kraft to go full gangster behind the scenes.

...I've also been negociating by day and watching House of Cards by night so keep that in mind as well. My perspective very well could be warped by these factors right now :)

HANDLING THE OFFSEASON SO FAR
Extended Slater, Chung, Bolden and Cannon
Signed Ott
Decided not to pay Wilfork $8.5M for his 2015 services
Franchised Gostkowski
Decided not to pay McCourty $9.5M for his 2015 services

No one is tearing Belichick for this decision-making except for you.

There are lots of decisions to make in the next week.
Something certain posters tend to forget is the future effect of today's decisions. Sure, one year in the NFL is a long time but the result of decisions today are felt immediately and in the future.

It's never a simple case of A answering B with so many moving parts.

Signed Ott
Franchised Gostkowski

...and in the future. In the summer of 2012 the Pats extended Gronk and AH two years before they came due to hit FA.

In 2016 Chandler Jones and HT hit the market. Now would be a good time to lock them up at a "discount"

Always need to look into the future and lock up young players- especially those about to hit their prime.

I'm implying they should have either signed him to a multi year deal either originally or over the past year, or signed him to a 1 year contract last season instead of trying to get cute with some stupid $25M second year number that did nothing but eliminate the possibility of franchising him.

It was a "let's-see-how-it-works-out" deal, protecting both parties in case it didn't.

Honestly, I am near-certain Revis would be signed right now if the Jest weren't so blatantly tampering. They hinted they pay him like a QB?

How is that not f'n tampering when he's UNDER CONTRACT? This is absurd

Signed Ott
Franchised Gostkowski

Slater, Chung, Bolden, and Cannon were all signed during the 2014 season so I don't see how you file them as "offseason" that's like saying we traded for Tim Wright this offseason.

Wilfork was the key to the run defense and Revis/McCourty were the key to our pass defense. These players not being under contract right now aren't a small matter it is substantial.

...and in the future. In the summer of 2012 the Pats extended Gronk and AH two years before they came due to hit FA.

In 2016 Chandler Jones and HT hit the market. Now would be a good time to lock them up at a "discount"

Always need to look into the future and lock up young players- especially those about to hit their prime.

I think Jones could be a great candidate. He's been injured in two of his three seasons so far, so I think his value might be a bit artificially depressed at the moment. If the Pats could lock him up long-term now, they might be able to get a huge discount versus what he'd get if he stays mostly healthy over the next two years.

I think Jones could be a great candidate. He's been injured in two of his three seasons so far, so I think his value might be a bit artificially depressed at the moment. If the Pats could lock him up long-term now, they might be able to get a huge discount versus what he'd get if he stays mostly healthy over the next two years.
Agreed. Hightower is poised for a monster year and career. If he hits FA in 2016 and if the cap continues to go up hes looking at serious cake.

Slater, Chung, Bolden, and Cannon were all signed during the 2014 season so I don't see how you file them as "offseason" that's like saying we traded for Tim Wright this offseason.

Hes looking at their extensions during the 2014 season as considerations for this current offseason's strategy.

For example, if Slater, Cannon, Chung and Bolden were not extended, they would be FAs this offseason.

Wilfork was the key to the run defense and Revis/McCourty were the key to our pass defense. These players not being under contract right now aren't a small matter it is substantial.

No question.

Agreed. Hightower is poised for a monster year and career. If he hits FA in 2016 and if the cap continues to go up hes looking at serious cake.

He won't be hitting FA. BB will pick up the option for the 5th year and a deal will eventually get done.

It was a "let's-see-how-it-works-out" deal, protecting both parties in case it didn't.

Honestly, I am near-certain Revis would be signed right now if the Jest weren't so blatantly tampering. They hinted they pay him like a QB?

How is that not f'n tampering when he's UNDER CONTRACT? This is absurd
If I were Kraft, I would be demanding the Jets #6, their 2nd rounder, and 10 mil of their cap if they sign revis. It is tampering. If revis signs with jets and pats get nothing for jets tampering, i think we pats fans should blow up the nfls phones, flood jetdell with letters, calls

If I were Kraft, I would be demanding the Jets #6, their 2nd rounder, and 10 mil of their cap if they sign revis. It is tampering. If revis signs with jets and pats get nothing for jets tampering, i think we pats fans should blow up the nfls phones, flood jetdell with letters, calls

Whether he signs with the Jest or not, it's tampering...man, it's so clearly, wretchedly tampering. It is flagrantly violating the rules and causing damage to another team which is exactly why they have those rules in the first place.

Whether he signs with the Jest or not, it's tampering...man, it's so clearly, wretchedly tampering. It is flagrantly violating the rules and causing damage to another team which is exactly why they have those rules in the first place.
True, if revis signs with us, then whatever the precedent for tampering is

I think Hightower would be a bit less of a priority both because a) he already established his value this year, so I don't think there's as much of a discount to be had as with Jones, and b) ILBs don't typically get paid a ton. He'll still get paid in FA because he's really good, but I think the ceiling on what he might command in FA if he isn't locked up is dramatically lower than it would be with Jones.

But regardless, I would be surprised if extending him wasn't a top priority a year from now.

He won't be hitting FA. BB will pick up the option for the 5th year and a deal will eventually get done.
...always keep forgetting about that 5th year option.:confused:

I think Hightower would be a bit less of a priority both because a) he already established his value this year, so I don't think there's as much of a discount to be had as with Jones, and b) ILBs don't typically get paid a ton. He'll still get paid in FA because he's really good, but I think the ceiling on what he might command in FA if he isn't locked up is dramatically lower than it would be with Jones.

But regardless, I would be surprised if extending him wasn't a top priority a year from now.

Yea I'm not sure how they will project HT. He may evolve into a Nink/Vrabes kind of role as he has the size, strength, smarts and speed to play all over the field.

NFL doesn't care about tampering all that much...it's pretty clear they couldn't careless....but PSI? Forget it

Revis and Belichick are probably sitting by the pool at some swank So Florida resort, laughing their asses off at the tools in the NFL media....

I don't get what the Jets are trying to do this offseason. They didn't spend last..so they have to make stupid moves this offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back