PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why tanking does not work in the NFL and could doom the Patriots long-term

This. Despite how things looks, this roster is not an empty cupboard.

Defense is nearly built other than a couple pieces.

Offense needs a lot, but at least has a few starting pieces.

I don’t think the offense needs too much, as they can run the ball, but they need 2 high quality OL, 1 really good QB, with a decent back up, and at least 2 really good receivers. As things stand I would sign Tannehill, or try to trade a late pick to Tennessee for him after the league year is up, draft a QB with their top 5 pick, sign a really good WR and OL in free agency, then draft a high quality OL and Receiver to go with the QB.

Someone tell Mr. Kraft that God Almighty blessed Israel when they removed the sodomites. Telling yall we're cursed with sodomite cheerleaders.
Yep, that's the solution to the problem.

Ahh yes the “we should be scared to take a 1st round QB because it doesn’t always work out” defense. And what would the difference be to what we’re dealing with now?

@giants is a game NE cannot "afford to win" if they want any shot at the top two. That game may ultimately decide alot. If the Patriots are bad, the Giants are downright pitiful right now.

I think tanking in general is very dependent upon: A) the talent of QB. B) Rest of your roster C) Organization as a whole

The Colts had pretty much everything else in place when they sucked for Luck. Giants/Patriots/Bears are not a QB away from being a perennial playoff contender. Alot more is needed. I do think the Patriots, looking at history and ownership, have the better organization to get it right. Giants/Bears have been pretty bad for over a decade. Patriots have not been this bad in like 23 years.

Sometimes, if you are going to be bad, it's better to be 3-14 bad vs 8-9 and missing the postseason. Then, not getting high picks needed to add talent.

So people are DONE with Mac Today?? Homer Patsfans are slow. I was DONE last Year.

After today's side armed interception in the red zone....it might be so.... can't believe Jones didn't throw that ball with an arc over the top...that was an easy TD to Geisicki...

I think Mac is broken...ever since that six pass attempt win in Buffalo back in December of 2021, the Patriots are 8-21 in games that Jones has started...and I didn't count that Bears game where he was yanked....

Too bad though...today was okay until that interception...some good runs and taking sacks vs. blindly throwing the ball... dunno what we are gonna do.

Not impressed with Caleb Williams and Penix looked so so yesterday....Bo Nix looked good...dunno about Drake Maye...need to see him play, but like his size the best..I am wary of short QB's...no disrespect to Doug Flutie...
You're wrong on Williams he has a little Mahomes in him I like.

The top 3 players in the draft include two franchise qb prospects & the best wr prospect in the last decade. The pats would benefit from having a top 3 pick. They may not have to tank to get one either.

Whether for or against tanking, at least we all can still root against the rest of the AFC East, just for SOS.

After today's side armed interception in the red zone....it might be so.... can't believe Jones didn't throw that ball with an arc over the top...that was an easy TD to Geisicki...

I think Mac is broken...ever since that six pass attempt win in Buffalo back in December of 2021, the Patriots are 8-21 in games that Jones has started...and I didn't count that Bears game where he was yanked....

Too bad though...today was okay until that interception...some good runs and taking sacks vs. blindly throwing the ball... dunno what we are gonna do.

Not impressed with Caleb Williams and Penix looked so so yesterday....Bo Nix looked good...dunno about Drake Maye...need to see him play, but like his size the best..I am wary of short QB's...no disrespect to Doug Flutie...
Ball had a little arc - it was just 7 yards short…

If you were a player on an NFL team, and the coach told you to play like **** so the team can get a higher pick what would you do?
I think we’ve got a QB playing like **** without the coach telling him to…

If you were a player on an NFL team, and the coach told you to play like **** so the team can get a higher pick what would you do?
My point was you don't have to be one player away to make it make sense.

My point was you don't have to be one player away to make it make sense.

My point is that the only person in an organization that will “ tank” is the GM, or the owner if they are the actual GM, everyone else relies on their film and production to get paid.

Why get all twisted up by semantics?
The roster, coaching, tactics, drafting, etc are all wretched.

On the positive side, Kraft delivered a big video screen, a big lighthouse, and a tiny bell.

Sweet GIF

We are 2-5 in one score games. This team isn't as far as some people think.

Better QB play and we could be fighting for the division.
FIFY

So they can fix it more than the NBA? No thanks.
I think NFL teams are too big for tanking to be a viable strategy that mandates giving teams in the teens a chance to end up with the #1 pick.

I have suggested the idea of a "Toilet Bowl" between the two worst teams, with the winner getting the #1 overall pick.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back