PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why tanking does not work in the NFL and could doom the Patriots long-term

1. I don’t think the Pats are tanking…they just are awful. That’s actually a bigger indictment IMO because it means BB actually believed the team he put together would be competitive. Massive fail there.

2. I certainly don’t believe this team is a few pieces away…in fact, I believe a major teardown and rebuild is necessary in the locker room. There simply isn’t enough talent.

3. This team is not a QB away from challenging fir the Superbowl. Pat Mahommes himself wouldn’t make the current roster a contender. Better? Sure.

I’m hoping for a scenario where the team has a lot of turnover, and maybe is .500 or better next season and looking really solid for 2025.

I’m fine with rebuilds, just not a rebuild in which year 4 looks worse than year one.

1. I don’t think the Pats are tanking…they just are awful. That’s actually a bigger indictment IMO because it means BB actually believed the team he put together would be competitive. Massive fail there.

2. I certainly don’t believe this team is a few pieces away…in fact, I believe a major teardown and rebuild is necessary in the locker room. There simply isn’t enough talent.

3. This team is not a QB away from challenging fir the Superbowl. Pat Mahommes himself wouldn’t make the current roster a contender. Better? Sure.

I’m hoping for a scenario where the team has a lot of turnover, and maybe is .500 or better next season and looking really solid for 2025.

I’m fine with rebuilds, just not a rebuild in which year 4 looks worse than year one.
I disagree, when healthy, that defense can carry an average QB. I mean, hell, last week they had Calvin Munson, Myles Bryant and Shaun Wade playing starter minutes, and they still limited the Colts to 10 points. It all gets washed away by the offense, but the defense is real, so I think in reality, it really is only a few pieces.

That said, if you want to do a full rebuild, I can support it if you're drafting Caleb Williams, and then just sell off everyone 30 and over for picks, and blow out the coaching staff and front office. That's the other way to do it.

There's a 2 year window with this defense as constituted before players start to age out. Either get value for it, or try to make a run with it. Those are the options.

I disagree, when healthy, that defense can carry an average QB. I mean, hell, last week they had Calvin Munson, Myles Bryant and Shaun Wade playing starter minutes, and they still limited the Colts to 10 points. It all gets washed away by the offense, but the defense is real, so I think in reality, it really is only a few pieces.

That said, if you want to do a full rebuild, I can support it if you're drafting Caleb Williams, and then just sell off everyone 30 and over for picks, and blow out the coaching staff and front office. That's the other way to do it.

There's a 2 year window with this defense as constituted before players start to age out. Either get value for it, or try to make a run with it. Those are the options.
I used to lean the same way as you…then I watched Buffalo run through that healthy defense like diarrhea through a screen three years running, and Miami do the same. It hasn’t mattered if they were healthy or not…the Defense hasn’t stood up well to elite QB’s

A story from the past: Bledsoe or Mirer???

Give me a CJ Stroud and we good

LOL, history has proven that squad to be loaded with all pro's and had a great leadership support system for a young player starting at QB for the first time. Acknowledging that Brady had a better situation than Mac is simply fact and does not take away from his legacy.
Loaded with all pros? I don't think so.

One more time.

If you cheat to lose games that makes you a cheater and a loser. No thanks.

The funny thing is that the reason the Tankheads are giving for this cheating is to get a better draft pick, which is a crap shoot anyway. There are star players and HOFers who were picked after other players who didn't make it in the NYFL. Tom Brady was picked 199th.

What exactly does a few players away and a full teardown mean? Don't you just keep your best players and try and replace them with better players? I'm not sure there's a difference. You don't give 45 guys walking papers and start from scratch, you have to field a team every year so basically, you're just replacing bad players with better no matter what you want to call it.

What exactly does a few players away and a full teardown mean? Don't you just keep your best players and try and replace them with better players? I'm not sure there's a difference. You don't give 45 guys walking papers and start from scratch, you have to field a team every year so basically, you're just replacing bad players with better no matter what you want to call it.
Exactly. That's why so many of these terms are meaningless, tanking, tear it down, blah blah blah

The goal is to build a Super Bowl contender. The only real variable is whether to trade off pieces if you don't think you can win soon, to get draft picks to win later. But the principal remains mostly the same

As fans, we have no say over what the team does anyway. But after 20 years of unprecedented success if you think hoping the Pats lose Sunday is bad, I think you have to toughen up a little bit

Although tanking isn't a guarantee to turn around the team, I disagree with the premise that it would hurt the team long term. Most teams that "tank" is because they are devoid of talent, have bad coaching, and bad ownership. Many teams that 'tank" are bad for a number of years are bad because they are just bad.

We do not know who the Patriots' coach and GM will be next year, but I seriously doubt the Krafts will do what bad owners do and get retreads or just bad coaches or management because they are too cheap to pay.

The Pats are not trying to tank though. Belichick has been playing to win. The team just isn't good enough to win. If the Pats were tanking, Belichick would be sitting older talent likely to be gone after this season and playing young players to see what the Patriots have. Other than necessity, we are not seeing a lot of young players who haven't proven much getting much playing time.

Loaded with all pros? I don't think so.
LOL, All Pros or Hall of famers, the 2001 had a lot of talent that went on to establish the dynasty. Only a fool, or someone with an agenda, would suggest that the 2001 team did not have a number of players who turned out to be all time greats.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back