PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Revis "to hit the market?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jets might offer him 20m plus per year. Hard to turn that down.

@MMehtaNYDN: Sources: If Darrelle Revis receives comparable offers on open market ($ about same),he plans to re-sign with Patriots http://t.co/sGZfFxpYrG

On the surface that could be seen as, "obviously/who cares." But atleast we are hos first choice with all else being equal compared to NY. Remember we were option #2 last year to NY.

Unfortunately, we are dealing with Woody Johnson who might be the biggest idiot meddlesome owner in the league. I can see him offering him $20 million a year with something like $60 million guaranteed because everyone said he was an idiot for not trying to re-sign Revis last year.

I just DM Trags

Unfortunately, we are dealing with Woody Johnson who might be the biggest idiot meddlesome owner in the league. I can see him offering him $20 million a year with something like $60 million guaranteed because everyone said he was an idiot for not trying to re-sign Revis last year.

Yeah not sure Revis can turn 20 mill a year down..i couldn't

@MMehtaNYDN: Sources: If Darrelle Revis receives comparable offers on open market ($ about same),he plans to re-sign with Patriots http://t.co/sGZfFxpYrG

On the surface that could be seen as, "obviously/who cares." But atleast we are hos first choice with all else being equal compared to NY. Remember we were option #2 last year to NY.

Of course Revis will sign with Patriots if they match or have a "comparable" offer. That's a nobrainer statement. He gets paid max $$ with a SB contender.

The real issue is if Revis is willing to get paid less to join the Patriots. Less meaning, a % less.

Of course, if a team offers Revis 18-20m/yr, Patriots will thank Revis and move on.... IMO

One dollar from the Pats would be comparable to $20MM from the Jets

I hope he doesnt drag this on. I wouldnt mind signing cromartie as an alternative. I know many are not to fond of him here.

I cant remember what did revis contract look like with the bucs. Why didnt we just trade for him and already have him locked up

So, if I am reading this right the Patriots don't have to make a decision on Revis until the end of March but his cap hit will count starting Tuesday? While that's obviously not ideal and will hamper their efforts in free agency it still give them some latitude in negotiations if they want to go that route. I still think this gets done sooner than later and he stays in New England. They already have five million tied up in him a and they aren't going to allow a first ballot HOF player just walk away, especially when he is integral to their success.

I cant remember what did revis contract look like with the bucs. Why didnt we just trade for him and already have him locked up
It was basically $16M each year, not guaranteed. The Pats weren't interested in giving him $16M last year, and it would have taken some restructuring to fit that $16M cap hit considering that he only actually counted $7M on last year's cap.

So, if I am reading this right the Patriots don't have to make a decision on Revis until the end of March but his cap hit will count starting Tuesday?
The April 1 date is only applicable in that if they pick up his option, that's the date that will be on his bonus check. For all cap purposes, the date that matters is March 9. They have to decide by March 9 whether they will pay him a bonus check on April 1, and it is widely assumed that they will not.

Edit: Or as Miguel pointed out, they could pick up his option and try to reach an extension that converts that roster bonus to a signing bonus between March 10 and April 1, but Florio seemed to indicated that if the Pats pick up that option then Revis would just play for one year and $20M.

Last edited:
It was basically $16M each year, not guaranteed. The Pats weren't interested in giving him $16M last year, and it would have taken some restructuring to fit that $16M cap hit considering that he only actually counted $7M on last year's cap.

Thanks, ya makes sense, we had no room for his cap last year

The Rats are offering Revis 20 mil per with 60 mil guaranteed? Is this the number being floated out there by the Jets media suckups?

So, they refuse to pay him 16 mil three years ago, pre-serious knee injury, but NOW he's a prized 20 million/yr defensive back?

and half this board mortally fears these mongoloids in Jersey?

and half this board mortally fears these mongoloids in Jersey?

No one is afraid of the jets...people are afraid of revis getting $$ hungry

The April 1 date is only applicable in that if they pick up his option, that's the date that will be on his bonus check. For all cap purposes, the date that matters is March 10. They have to decide by March 10 whether they will pay him a bonus check on April 1, and it is widely assumed that they will not.

So Tuesday is the big day?

How are these losers gonna keep a guy like wilkerson? I really hope we open up the season against the jests.

sorry...I can't get into the drama. I'll be going to every game this season whether they sign Revis or not. My point is, why the abject fear of an obviously numbnuts business decision by the Rats...no defensive back is worth that money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back