PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Revis "to hit the market?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen we just won the SB so I get it some things are going to get a free pass but if we didn't win the SB man this board would be tearing Belichick apart for his handling of the offseason so far. He earned the free pass though with his 4th ring so like I said I'm fine giving it to him.

Cole basically said that the Pats hope to have a long term deal in place before they have to pick up their option and if not they will decline the option by the deadline and Revis will be a free agent. This is major news. I am surprised all the networks aren't leading with this.

Why is it major news?

Everyone knows that NE cant afford the 25 mil cap hit on 1 player so they are working on a more palpable contract. If a deal cant be done they wont pick up the option. Whats so earth shattering?

That is assuming the Jets don't go full ****** and offer him something around 20mm AAV which would not surprise me.

Would really suck to lose him, but all that money tied up on 1 player is way too risky.

Even for NE.

I'm implying they should have either signed him to a multi year deal either originally or over the past year, or signed him to a 1 year contract last season instead of trying to get cute with some stupid $25M second year number that did nothing but eliminate the possibility of franchising him.

But they did that specifically because Revis didn't want to be franchised. If the deal isn't structured that way, he doesn't sign it unless the Pats include a no-franchise clause in the contract. Pats didn't want to do that because they have a policy of not having those written into contracts.

It's a $5M cap hit this season if they cut him. That means our top cap hits would be:

1. Brady
2. Mayo
3. Gronkowski
4. Solder
5. Vollmer
6. Amendola
7. Revis dead money

I think most teams aim for the cap hits in the top 10 on their team to actually be a result of a player on their current roster.

The only reason for not responding to your last post is that I thought that you were being sarcastic. The $5M is totally IRRELEVANT to any decision-making.

The $5M was a cap accounting choice made with regard to his 2014 compensation. The team decided to have $5M of his 2014 compensation be included in the 2015 cap. One of the reasons to do this is that this structure made it impossible for Revis to be franchised in 2015.

For Cannon, the team decided to include some of his compensation for his current extension in the 2014 cap. This is cap accounting and does NOT affecting decision-making. It is made for the convenience of the team.
=====

I totally reject your idea that the team shouldn't have moved any of his 2014 compensation to 2015 because it might look bad to Brady6 and other posters if Revis didn't re-sign in 2015.

Listen we just won the SB so I get it some things are going to get a free pass but if we didn't win the SB man this board would be tearing Belichick apart for his handling of the offseason so far. He earned the free pass though with his 4th ring so like I said I'm fine giving it to him.

Well your posts about the subject kind of show you are not fine with it.

Would really suck to lose him, but all that money tied up on 1 player is way too risky.

Even for NE.

Yup, plus I believe that the tampering charges were filed with the express intent of mitigating the loss of Revis should the Jets make a ridiculous offer. Should that happen, I fully expect the Pats to go after their first rounder and wouldn't be all that surprised if we got it. Losing Revis would suck, but getting a top-ten pick would certainly soften the blow especially considering that the only way this team will ever have a crack at the high level talent is through a trade or craftiness.

It's a $5M cap hit this season if they cut him. That means our top cap hits would be:

1. Brady
2. Mayo
3. Gronkowski
4. Solder
5. Vollmer
6. Amendola
7. Revis dead money

I think most teams aim for the cap hits in the top 10 on their team to actually be a result of a player on their current roster.
Well I hope for your sake that they don't decline his option and then sign him to a new contract, because then Revis would be probably somewhere in the top three AND eighth, and I think most teams aim for their cap hits in the top 10 on their team to actually be for 10 different players.

I'm implying they should have either signed him to a multi year deal either originally or over the past year, or signed him to a 1 year contract last season instead of trying to get cute with some stupid $25M second year number that did nothing but eliminate the possibility of franchising him.

We understand that it would have pleased you for the team to have signed Revis to a one-year contract for $12M last year. The team would have liked that also. After all, we wouldn't even be discussing the issue now. We would have had Revis for $12M in 2014 and Revis for $14.4M in 2015 under a franchise tag. Of course, Revis didn't want that deal.

Your approach would have resulted in no Revis in 2014 and probably no Super Bowl win.

Sort of dumb to just swallow a $5M cap hit on Revis. I mean his dead money cap hit would rank in the top 10 of the cap hits on the team all on its own. That doesn't seem like very good cap management to me.

I hear you...I think it depends on how you look at it.

For 2014, the Pats got an All-Pro CB for basically $7m on the 2014 cap. A freaking steal.

For 2015, they need to account for a bit of those services...specifically $5m.

It's like paying for a vacation to Disney with a credit card. Prepay for the airfare but then pay for the other stuff on the next credit card statement.

Even if they don't re-sign him, in the grand scheme of things it was worth it.

HANDLING THE OFFSEASON SO FAR
Extended Slater, Chung, Bolden and Cannon
Signed Ott
Decided not to pay Wilfork $8.5M for his 2015 services
Franchised Gostkowski
Decided not to pay McCourty $9.5M for his 2015 services

No one is tearing Belichick for this decision-making except for you.

There are lots of decisions to make in the next week.

But they did that specifically because Revis didn't want to be franchised. If the deal isn't structured that way, he doesn't sign it unless the Pats include a no-franchise clause in the contract. Pats didn't want to do that because they have a policy of not having those written into contracts.

The structure of the "holding place" second year was beneficial to both parties. As you said, it allowed Revis to avoid the franchise tag, but it also allowed the Pats to spread out the bonus and lower the cap hit for 2014.

Yup, plus I believe that the tampering charges were filed with the express intent of mitigating the loss of Revis should the Jets make a ridiculous offer. Should that happen, I fully expect the Pats to go after their first rounder and wouldn't be all that surprised if we got it. Losing Revis would suck, but getting a top-ten pick would certainly soften the blow especially considering that the only way this team will ever have a crack at the high level talent is through a trade or craftiness.

NE being awarded the Jets 1st pick would like winning he Super Bowl all over again.

Wow, it's tough to find any threads on this board now that there isn't fighting going on between posters. I guess this is what happens in the offseason lol
Looking forward to the free agent period starting on Monday. Hopefully, we will get Revis and McCourty signed!!!!

Schefter keeps saying Revis will pick NE or NY.

How is NY even in the discussion when Revis is still under contract?

How would the team have any say in "going after their first rounder," Jay? The tampering charges have been filed a long time ago.

The punishment is up to Goodell and shouldn't have anything to do with where Revis ends up--only that the technical term of "tampering" took place.

I love your defensive breakdowns and value your opinion, but if you think the Patriots are going to get the Jets 1st round draft pick in April, I'd say that you'd have lost your mind. Just my opinion, as maybe you'll be right.

Schefter keeps saying Revis will pick NE or NY.

How is NY even in the discussion when Revis is still under contract?

I think everyone is assuming that the placeholding 2nd year option won't be picked up on a 25m dollar cap hit, which is certainly understandable.

Man this would really ****ing suck if we didn't win the SB potentially losing Dmac, Revis, Wilfork, and Vereen.

Man this would really ****ing suck if we didn't win the SB potentially losing Dmac, Revis, Wilfork, and Vereen.

Don't forger McCourty :)

Why is it major news?

Everyone knows that NE cant afford the 25 mil cap hit on 1 player so they are working on a more palpable contract. If a deal cant be done they wont pick up the option. Whats so earth shattering?

I was being sarcastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back