PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to Aaron Hernandez Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very pleased with the pick...they filled two needs at once with a receiver and a TE and didn't trade picks to move up to get him.

I expect him to come along slow, but catching more balls than Watson got last year should offset that.

like the pick - i thought he should have been a 3rd rounder

now we are set at TE position

Value is good.

But again, I don't understand why we keep stockpiling TEs when they're the 4th or 5th option in the offense we run.

Changes are coming to the offense...I read/heard the "OC" wanted the TE used more in the offense.

Love this pick, also.

Last edited:
Well, our passing offense is really predicated on running option routes by our receivers and WRs get in and out of breaks a lot quicker than TEs, so I see why Brady would look at our WRs first. But I also read somewhere before that BB looked at TEs as the "third" tackle on the line so that explains why he went after a big physical guy like Gronkowski. However, this pick to me is puzzling. We just got rid of David Thomas for a 7th rounder last year and Hernandez is not going to bring anything that Thomas didn't have. Shouldn't we have drafted a DL, DE, or OLB?

I hate those kind of comments.
How can you say any player 'brings nothing that x(some guy at the same position) doesnt bring' seriously? Every player at the same position 'brings the same things' only their LEVEL OF ABILITY is different.
Its like saying why would we want Antonio Gates when Chris Baker brings everything he brings, why not get a G?

That could be but Ben Watson used to be a favored target of Brady until the "jump ball to covered Moss" or "dump off to Welker" become more desirable.
With teams like the Jets bringing the heat on every play, I like the idea of adding blockers and short yardage pass catchers.

Watson used to be his number 1 target because the other option is Caldwell.

Good value pick.Can't wait to see the schemes in which these 2 TEs are used.

I dont think Hernandez is going to be a typical TE.
I think he is more like Clark, who doesn't even resemble a typical TE, but is much more a slot WR.

i like this two pass catching TE's in this draft maybe now brady will use them i hope, it would be nice to see the pats throwing some more 5 to 8 yerd routes to a TE that will free up moss, even more then a speed WR

Last edited:
Aaron Hernandez=Matchup Nightmare

I think it was Mike Lombardi that said that Watson wasn't a very good route runner and lost the trust of Brady. He also said something like Watson wasn't in the right spots which I'm guessing caused some of Watson's signature tipped balls to get intercepted.

I like the Hernandez pick as he should complement Gronkowski.

Mayock is tough to beat. Anyone care to define H-Back for me?
THink a lighter version of a FB who will run the ball and also feature in the short passing game, and can also be a dump off receiver. But when he is not carrying or running, his primary responsibility is to help block (or chip).

Thanks Patspsycho. Where does the H-Back usually line up? Are there any NFL equivalents who are regular starters?

Thanks Patspsycho. Where does the H-Back usually line up? Are there any NFL equivalents who are regular starters?

Chris Cooley is the best example H back I can think of at the minute.

Last edited:

Yeah, did you see how the Saints used Dave Thomas?

We just got rid of David Thomas for a 7th rounder last year and Hernandez is not going to bring anything that Thomas didn't have. Shouldn't we have drafted a DL, DE, or OLB?

Hernandez is sooo much better than Dave Thomas after the catch it's not even funny..

Interesting pick, not a great one in my opnion. Having watched Hernandez throughout the majority of his career I can say from experience that he is no better than Kyle Brady...and that the organization could easily have made a better pick.

yesterday I thought the pats would go with 2 TEs, and they could still cut Crumpler (ala marcus pollard), but Hernadez should step in and do well. He's the next David thomas or Christian fauria. I dont know if we can go into the season with 6 WRs, 5 RBs, and 3 TEs tho.

Behind the FB or outside the WR's on LOS if they release into pass routes (outside because they go under).

Originally Posted by Deus Irae
Hernandez is probably as close as we'll get to drafting a fullback.

Don't forget about the cuts that will occur as teams are fine tuning their rosters. There's always a chance of a FB pick-up there.

Sorry just saw the bizarre statement above yours. I have Deus Irate on block, and just seeing Hernandez described as a FB is just hilarious. Priceless.

Interesting pick, not a great one in my opnion. Having watched Hernandez throughout the majority of his career I can say from experience that he is no better than Kyle Brady...and that the organization could easily have made a better pick.

See, when you compare Aaron Hernandez to Kyle Brady your opinion just loses every ounce of credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News