PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to Aaron Hernandez Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say these picks make it clear that that it was Watson and Baker who were 5th options.

It wasn't so long ago when it was considered standard Pats Draft 101 that Belichick loves him some TE.

Well, our passing offense is really predicated on running option routes by our receivers and WRs get in and out of breaks a lot quicker than TEs, so I see why Brady would look at our WRs first. But I also read somewhere before that BB looked at TEs as the "third" tackle on the line so that explains why he went after a big physical guy like Gronkowski. However, this pick to me is puzzling. We just got rid of David Thomas for a 7th rounder last year and Hernandez is not going to bring anything that Thomas didn't have. Shouldn't we have drafted a DL, DE, or OLB?

Well, our passing offense is really predicated on running option routes by our receivers and WRs get in and out of breaks a lot quicker than TEs, so I see why Brady would look at our WRs first. But I also read somewhere before that BB looked at TEs as the "third" tackle on the line so that explains why he went after a big physical guy like Gronkowski. However, this pick to me is puzzling. We just got rid of David Thomas for a 7th rounder last year and Hernandez is not going to bring anything that Thomas didn't have. Shouldn't we have drafted a DL, DE, or OLB?

Hernandez should be much more of a threat down the seam than Thomas ever was.

Mayock is tough to beat. Anyone care to define H-Back for me?

NFL Live Chat

Mike Mayock, NFL Network
113 -- Patriots -- TE Aaron Hernandez

The Patriots just took their second TE of the draft. Their second-round pick, Rob Gronkowski, is an excellent in-line blocker and a talented pass receiver. Aaron Hernandez is one of the most physically gifted H-Backs in the draft. He's a move guy that will cause mismatch problems in the middle of the field. I love these picks.

Last edited:
Hernandez should be much more of a threat down the seam than Thomas ever was.

Maybe. But we don't use our TEs that way. Watson is the perfect TE for exploiting matchups down the field but he was only use that way occasionally.

Again, this is not a knock on the player, but a question on the usage of a draft pick on a position that, in our offense, is not really considered a viable threat.

There is no comparison between Thomas and Hernandez. Hernandez will give serious mismatches because he has everything- size, speed and athleticism. He is much more of a route runner than Thomas ever was. Thomas wasn't exactly known for his speed or athleticism.

Maybe. But we don't use our TEs that way. Watson is the perfect TE for exploiting matchups down the field but he was only use that way occasionally.

Again, this is not a knock on the player, but a question on the usage of a draft pick on a position that, in our offense, is not really considered a viable threat.

It's actually been noted around here more than a few times that O'Brien wants to use the TE a lot more in the offense this coming year.

ii think he will be compared to Greg Olsen. Give teams a match-up problem. Hoppefully we can use him like Dalls Clark is used in Indy

Yes we did use our TE's "that way" in the opening game vs. Buffalo, vs. TB in England, and a few other games. In the opening game we used Watson in the smash concept to split the the red zone cover 2 they run.

Hernandez is probably as close as we'll get to drafting a fullback.

Hernandez is probably as close as we'll get to drafting a fullback.

Don't forget about the cuts that will occur as teams are fine tuning their rosters. There's always a chance of a FB pick-up there.

Anyone care to define H-Back for me?

THink a lighter version of a FB who will run the ball and also feature in the short passing game, and can also be a dump off receiver. But when he is not carrying or running, his primary responsibility is to help block (or chip).

It's actually been noted around here more than a few times that O'Brien wants to use the TE a lot more in the offense this coming year.

Yeah I've read those posts. But there was the same buzz when we picked up David Thomas and Garrett Mills a few years ago with still Watson on the team. Don't get me wrong, I hope they utilize these guys, but you can understand why I'm a bit skeptical especially since we have Moss, Wes, Edelman, and now Holt in our team.

THink a lighter version of a FB who will run the ball and also feature in the short passing game, and can also be a dump off receiver. But when he is not carrying or running, his primary responsibility is to help block (or chip).

Thanks Patspsycho!

Of course we do. Watson caught 2 TDs against Buffalo doing exactly that. We need to get back to doing more of that.

Why must these videos insist on making me turn my sound off? Looks like a baller!

I like rap/hip hop and I hated that song as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back