PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PP's DVR player evaluation - Preseason Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PP's DVR player evaluation- Pre-Season game 1

Note to DB:

Difficult to AMEND crayon.

Try pencil....and invest in a big eraser. :singing:

Note to Pushn... I already use pencil. I leave the crayons to people like you... I don't want to get accused of stealing from the mentally challenged.

Note to Pushn... I already use pencil. I leave the crayons to people like you... I don't want to get accused of stealing from the mentally challenged.

Well it's good to see that you follow the rules at the group home.

Keep it up tiger, you'll be out in the real world in no time.

They may even let you bag groceries.

Well it's good to see that you follow the rules at the group home.

Keep it up tiger, you'll be out in the real world in no time.

They may even let you bag groceries.

Group home? Hardly. But I expect garbage form ignorant people like yourself. Let me know when you are willing to admit you are wrong about Woods. Or when you've ever admitted to being wrong about anything. Then maybe you can be taken as something resembling a legitimate poster.

Light has been a strong run blocker in the past and in 2008, won 90.1% of his Point of Attack (POA) blocks.
I'm no member of the Matt Light Fan Club, but the #s don't lie, and we do seem to run more often - and successfully - to the left side.

This simply gives Maroney an excuse. There was one play in the 1stQ that he made a cut when he should have attacked the line. Regardless, Maroney has failed to play up to the level of a 1st round RB.
Agreed; it's not LaMa's "dancing" that's the problem, it's his inadequate vision.

That's nothing new. Last season, Koppen had 84.3% POA wins. On the whole, centers tend to be the weak link on most O-lines, since their ability to snap while getting hit outweighs standard blocking skills.
I was really hoping that a big Center like Al Johnson could at least provide a running-game change-of pace, if not actual competition for Koppen's job. Ah well, maybe next year - again.

Agreed! Wilhite was impressive last year! :D
Compared to lil' Terry Wheatley, Mikey Richardson and Deltha O'Neal, anyway, but that's not saying much.

Probably the likely reason the team traded Smith.
Bill must really believe that Ty Warren will be good to go by Opening Day. I would've kept him on the PUP for awhile longer, and waited until final cutdowns before trading assets. What was the damn rush?

Smith did make the most of his opportunities when he played in real games. At least the Pats got something for him, rather than just cutting him.
Though the Donkeys' 5th-rounder won't be worth much less than our 4th-rounder.

Brandon first opened my eyes in the 49ers game last season when he was tested on deep routes. He's become a terrific cover safety. I don't think he's the physical player RH was, however.
Not even close. We've been a little spoiled, I suppose, the past dozen years with Lawyer & Rodney. Still, I'm glad to see Stomper catch those INTs instead of dropping them, like he did in the SB.

I like Sanders, but he'll have a hard time keeping Chung from taking over his starting spot. IMO, Chung is more a RH-type. What impressed me about Chung is that he plays faster than his 40-times and he's always around the ball. Either he breaks up a pass or smacks the receiver as soon as he catches it. Chung will be a star. Sanders has been a solid but unspectacular player.
Lil' Jimmy is a #3 S, at best. I still can't believe that Bill paid both him & Mike Wright all that $$.

I hate to say this but I saw the same thing. His missed time with his wrist has hampered his development. I did see some flashes against Indy last year, which was the game where he re injured his wrist. Give him time.
I never, ever would have drafted lil' Terry Wheatley at the end of the 2nd round. His injury history should've been a gigantic red flag to the FO. Damn the Omissioner for stealing our 1st-rounder, for we could've used it on KC's Brandon Flowers.

The fact that the team traded 2 picks for Burgess, is entertaining the idea of signing Kevin Carter, and brought back TBC, show just how much confidence the team has in Woods.
Not to mention signing Rob Ninkovich and practically fitting Jason Taylor with a Pats uniform before the traitor re-signed with the team that unceremoniously dumped him just the year before.

TBC is pretty much a one dimensional player on D. I expect Thomas to have a big year. He'd better with the money the team is paying him!
No kidding. Adalius will never, ever see the end of his contract, unless he does some serious re-negotiating.

Burgess looked very good in the 4-3. Maybe AT will have the type of results he had back in 2006 with the Ravens 4-3?
He'd better, or our pass-rush will be even worse than it was last year, and that was pretty damn feeble.

Galloway will come around. He hasn't lost a step and he brings an experienced veteran's presence.
I think he will, too, starting - I hope - on Thursday vs. the Bungles.

I have the feeling (shared by many) that Smith won't make the cut.
I just can't believe that Bill would cut a player for whom he not 4 months ago traded his only 5th-rounder. That would be a terrible indictment against his evaluation acumen.

Alexander is like gum on your shoe. You don't want to see him on the roster, yet there he is on Teams during the regular season. I can't stand him. I really, really hope that he's not on the roster this time around.
Completely, wholeheartedly agree.

I still can't believe Butler lasted that long in the draft.
Agreed; he's Bill's best value pick since Wilfork in 2004.

I remember when the Giants drafted Osi in the 2nd round, everyone was dumping on Accorsi wondering why he would reach for an "unknown" that high.
I got the same feeling when the Pats took Vollmer in the 2nd. I saw him play at UH and he looked dominant. He could be better than most (maybe all) of the O-linemen taken in round 1. Many of whom were overrated, IMO.
I still would've taken Will Beatty instead. Who knows, SeaBass might still have been avail. where ShortBurger was (mistakenly) taken in the 4th.

I've never liked Britt and Yates. They both have been terrible. Turnstile Yates almost got Cassel killed last year. For 2 years, Britt couldn't challenge Kaczur, whom I've never been a big fan of. I'll be mad if these guys are still wearing Pats unis in Sept.
Agreed on all points; I was hoping that Britt, once fully recovered from his broken leg, could've unseated Kaczur at RT.

Richardson went bye-byes. He was lucky to get on an NFL roster for 3 seasons. Now that the team was finally able to stockpile talent at CB, the inevitable happened to him.
Agreed; the FO could've drafted a half-dozen players at different positions who could've helped more than this JAG ever did. Our CB depth has been almost eliminated, however. Why the hell did we sign another RB in his place? For that matter, why did we release him now? Why not wait until final cutdowns?

Tank was looking like a contributor until an ACL put him on IR in 2008. Too bad. There doesn't seem to be a spot for him now, which is a good thing with the younger players stepping up.
Poor Tank; I wanted to sign him as a FA after the 2005 season. Now I'm afraid that he just doesn't have any explosiveness left in the tank, pardon the pun.

Great post, PP!!!
Enjoyed it!!!

TYVM :cool:

As I did yours.

Group home? Hardly. But I expect garbage form ignorant people like yourself. Let me know when you are willing to admit you are wrong about Woods. Or when you've ever admitted to being wrong about anything. Then maybe you can be taken as something resembling a legitimate poster.

Since you're the defacto legitimacy judge, I'll stick to my guns and keen football insight. Woods stunk up the joint.

Luckily for him, Eric Alexander's 2nd half stench cleared the room.

Don't worry though....your binky will probably still barely make the cut.

I'll know we're having a good season if I never see him take a snap.

Last edited:

Since you're the defacto legitimacy judge, I'll stick to my guns and keen football insight. Woods stunk up the joint.

Luckily for him, Eric Alexander's 2nd half stench cleared the room.

Don't worry though....your binky will probably still barely make the cut.

I'll know we're having a good season if I never see him take a snap.

You stick to your guns... but if its keen football insight you're looking for, you defintely shouldn't quit your day job.... In fact, I think that the dull knife set I threw out a couple years ago was keener than anything you've brought to the table. And, no, I'm not the "defacto legitimacy judge." I just stated an opinion that you've backed up with the "vomit" you call posts.

Woods isn't my binkie. I just know that he's better than you are giving him credit for.

After agonizing through this thread I think we ALL know why eye witness testimony is SO unreliable. Here we have 2 guys who looked at the same tape and saw 2 different games. It doesn't matter who I think is right. The only fact we know for sure is that we WILL know who is right by who he is playing at those positions (RB OLB) come September.

We all thought Bill had lost his mind when he not only kept Cassel on the roster, but named him #2. Well time has proven once again that BB knows more than us fans. Shocking huh. :rolleyes: What it actually proves is how little we know,even when we SEEM to see it with our own eyes.

We can only guess at the responsibilities on any given play. We DON'T know the reads of the WRs and QBs. We don't know the blocking schemes, and the calls made on the LOS. We don't know what the defense is running and what THEIR reads and responsibilities are, and how that affects what the offense does. All we see is the QB drop back and miss the receiver or throw it to a defender, or RB run into the pile etc....and then assign blame...rightly OR wrongly

It has since come out that while Cassel REALLY looked bad that preseason, and I can't underestimate how badly he looked. To us, he was leading the offense that had broken nearly every offensive record in the league just a few months previously, and the Pats literally couldn't get a first down, with Cassel in charge. I can't remember a single sustained drive by him in those 4 games.

However, evidently when they broke down the film (thats the coaches tapes, not the DVR TV feed ;) ), they found that HE was the guy making more of the correct reads. HE was the guy throwing the ball to the right spot. HE called the line blocking correctly....more than the others....and a lot of the plays that failed just wasn't his fault. That's because THEY (the Coaches) knew the calls, reads, and responsibilities of all 22 players on the field. We don't. That's why he was kept.....despite our vocal input (;) ),...and the rest is history

BOTTOM LINE, most of the time we JUST DON'T HAVE the information to make the kinds of absolute assumptions that are so prevelent here. Even our eyes can lie to us, because of the things we don't really know. We are all just having fun making "educated" guesses, nothing more. We should recognize that more.

BB will tell us who won the debate between DB and PP, but we'll have to wait for 3 more weeks to find out. :D

Last edited:

It's weird though that he seems the RB most effected by this. For years now. Our other RBs run behind the same guys. Usually with better results.

I haven't read through all the responses, so if this question has been answered, just point me in the right direction, but do you think Maroney's troubles are because of his running style? He is the most "upright" runner I have ever seen. Even the other night it was straight up (Maroney himself, I mean) & into the pile, just like always. Maybe he stands a different way when he is getting the ball. I don't know, he just looks "wrong" every time he gets the ball, and as others have pointed out, the D is almost always waiting for him. He never gets low and shifty like other RBs, and if the hole isn't there immediately, he can't change direction & try to find one.

After agonizing through this thread I think we ALL know why eye witness testimony is SO unreliable. Here we have 2 guys who looked at the same tape and saw 2 different games. It doesn't matter who I think is right. The only fact we know for sure is that we WILL know who is right by who he is playing at those positions (RB OLB) come September.

We all thought Bill had lost his mind when he not only kept Cassel on the roster, but named him #2. Well time has proven once again that BB knows more than us fans. Shocking huh. :rolleyes: What it actually proves is how little we know,even when we SEEM to see it with our own eyes.

We can only guess at the responsibilities on any given play. We DON'T know the reads of the WRs and QBs. We don't know the blocking schemes, and the calls made on the LOS. We don't know what the defense is running and what THEIR reads and responsibilities are, and how that affects what the offense does. All we see is the QB drop back and miss the receiver or throw it to a defender, or RB run into the pile etc....and then assign blame...rightly OR wrongly

It has since come out that while Cassel REALLY looked bad that preseason, and I can't underestimate how badly he looked. To us, he was leading the offense that had broken nearly every offensive record in the league just a few months previously, and the Pats literally couldn't get a first down, with Cassel in charge. I can't remember a single sustained drive by him in those 4 games.

However, evidently when they broke down the film (thats the coaches tapes, not the DVR TV feed ;) ), they found that HE was the guy making more of the correct reads. HE was the guy throwing the ball to the right spot. HE called the line blocking correctly....more than the others....and a lot of the plays that failed just wasn't his fault. That's because THEY (the Coaches) knew the calls, reads, and responsibilities of all 22 players on the field. We don't. That's why he was kept.....despite our vocal input (;) ),...and the rest is history

BOTTOM LINE, most of the time we JUST DON'T HAVE the information to make the kinds of absolute assumptions that are so prevelent here. Even our eyes can lie to us, because of the things we don't really know. We are all just having fun making "educated" guesses, nothing more. We should recognize that more.

BB will tell us who won the debate between DB and PP, but we'll have to wait for 3 more weeks to find out. :D

Well said. If only more people around here understood this concept :rolleyes:

You stick to your guns... but if its keen football insight you're looking for, you defintely shouldn't quit your day job.... In fact, I think that the dull knife set I threw out a couple years ago was keener than anything you've brought to the table. And, no, I'm not the "defacto legitimacy judge." I just stated an opinion that you've backed up with the "vomit" you call posts.

Woods isn't my binkie. I just know that he's better than you are giving him credit for.

I'm not a fan of Pierre Woods, I think he can be caught out and I'm hoping that Burgess can do the job for us, I'm also hoping that Crable is not a bust. However I have to agree that the guy is not nearly as bad as some people are making out. I like him as a backup but not as a starter.

In other news having just read all this thread you really need to get a grip as regards respecting others. Firstly reading the sort of stuff you post such as 'mentally challenged' and the highlighted bit above will intimidate others and maybe stop lurkers from posting at all.
At the end of the day we are all Pats fans and all we want is the best Patriots team. I'm pretty sure that people want this site to keep growing and your comments will not help in that regard.

I have an idea, lets watch woods play a few more games before we throw him on the scrap pile. ;)

Last edited:

In other news having just read all this thread you really need to get a grip as regards respecting others. Firstly reading the sort of stuff you post such as 'mentally challenged' and the highlighted bit above will intimidate others and maybe stop lurkers from posting at all.
At the end of the day we are all Pats fans and all we want is the best Patriots team. I'm pretty sure that people want this site to keep growing and your comments will not help in that regard.

This is nothing new here, and yet the site is always been growing. Might i suggest the 'ignore' feature :D

oh, and IMHO, DB only attacks when he is attacked. ;)

Exactly!!!!! A good deal of the time hes dancing out of, or away from a tackle. I have a feeling that if he moved on to another team he could break out like Charles White did. White was chosen in the first rnd by the Browns sucked for 4 years, went to LA, and won the rushing title. Of course he would have to stay healthy.

Exactly what I was saying in another thread and go no reponse. Are they still running a zone blocking scheme for LM? Is BB too stubborn to scrap it? BB takes in players and they have career seasons. Might it happen to LM left the PAts?

I haven't read through all the responses, so if this question has been answered, just point me in the right direction, but do you think Maroney's troubles are because of his running style? He is the most "upright" runner I have ever seen. Even the other night it was straight up (Maroney himself, I mean) & into the pile, just like always. Maybe he stands a different way when he is getting the ball. I don't know, he just looks "wrong" every time he gets the ball, and as others have pointed out, the D is almost always waiting for him. He never gets low and shifty like other RBs, and if the hole isn't there immediately, he can't change direction & try to find one.

That's been the scouts' complaint of him as far back as the beginning of the draft process, when he declared after his Junior season.

I don't know, he just looks "wrong" every time he gets the ball, and as others have pointed out, the D is almost always waiting for him.

The D is almost always waiting for him because hes a terrible pass blocker (although he looked MUCH better this preseason), so its pretty safe to play the run when hes in.

That's been the scouts' complaint of him as far back as the beginning of the draft process, when he declared after his Junior season.

The scouts also complained about Adrian Peterson running too upright. They still do.

This is nothing new here, and yet the site is always been growing. Might i suggest the 'ignore' feature :D

oh, and IMHO, DB only attacks when he is attacked. ;)

God I pray this is sarcasm.:eek:

God I pray this is sarcasm.:eek:
Perhaps a bit of tongue in cheek, but not a whole lot, Db doesn't suffer attacks on his Pats lightly - unless your an old "friend" from ESPN, then he's just in search & destroy mode. ;)

Perhaps a bit of tongue in cheek, but not a whole lot, Db doesn't suffer attacks on his Pats lightly - unless your an old "friend" from ESPN, then he's just in search & destroy mode. ;)

His "style" worked better on ESPN. More interaction on there with supporters of other franchises.

Here.....he's just eating his own.

Last edited:

I'm not a fan of Pierre Woods, I think he can be caught out and I'm hoping that Burgess can do the job for us, I'm also hoping that Crable is not a bust. However I have to agree that the guy is not nearly as bad as some people are making out. I like him as a backup but not as a starter.

Eagle eye - Ignorant comments don't help this site grow either. And your comments fall into that category. I also have to question whether or not you actually read the thread, because, if you had, you'd know the quips were just being returned to the originator.

Now, if you don't like the fact that I am blunt, so be it. You don't have to read my posts. I don't bother kissing arse because its a waste of time with many people. As for helping the site to grow, my comment fall within the realm of the allowed rules. If you have an issue with that, take it up with Ian. Don't get all high and mighty with me because I'll just laugh and continue on my way because you'd be a hypocrite.

BTW, I suggest you go back and read the thread because the OP is the one who started with the attacks..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore