PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My camp quirky observations

i have McDermott penciled in as our RT starter...
I have a healthy Trent Brown and Calvin Anderson as our Starters. We'll be in trouble if McDermott is a Stater... trust me.

Any observations on Sidey Sow? SI reported he is playing tackle. Was a ton of buzz around him after the draft, but things have been quiet since camp started.

(It seemed like Demario Douglas was the star of camp on the offensive side of the ball. I found it interesting that Troy Brown spent a lot of time talking to Demario. hey seems to have exactly the same body size which might lead one to believe...we can only hope.)
Is he playing the in slot?

I just finished watching the movie Air, and I've said this before, but I truly believe DD was my guy's pick. Loosely similar to Sonny Vaccaro convincing everyone else in Nike that MJ was THE guy to all in on, I think TB80 had to convince BB and Groh this was the pick to make.
Remember TB80 got a whole week of coaching DD up close and personal well before the draft, so there's that extra layer too. Might have been Troy that really convinced him to get a headstart on adding some muscle.

Any observations on Sidey Sow? SI reported he is playing tackle. Was a ton of buzz around him after the draft, but things have been quiet since camp started.

Sow is switching positions from guard to tackle so expect him to emerge next year. Very big and athletic, but raw and needs time.

Zappe has a bigger arm than Mac
Not based on the film from last year when we compared it. But Zappe's had a full offseason so it will be interesting to see how he looks from that standpoint when they finally play their first preseason game.

The one knock on him, based on what little they've shown, is his release is still too low and he's already had a fair amount of batted balls in camp. At the same time, it wasn't until the Giants loss at the end of the 2007 season that Brady finally started working on that, so hopefully that's something he works on also.

agree 100%. For years I have been hoping for an athletic mobile houdini of a qb. I think Malik would be exciting. But clearly its not part of Bill's vision, having passed on Lamar Jackson and Jaylen Hurts.
No idea why they are giving reps to McSorley instead of Malik.

No idea why they are giving reps to McSorley instead of Malik.
My theory? Because Malik will be getting scout team reps during the season, while McSorley needs some good reps for when he latches on with another team after cuts. (And if he doesn't, will be on the shadow roster)

My theory? Because Malik will be getting scout team reps during the season, while McSorley needs some good reps for when he latches on with another team after cuts. (And if he doesn't, will be on the shadow roster)
Hope you are right, although Perry was saying yesterday they like McSorley as a scout team QB. They might also just need Malik to get as many reps at possible at WR so he can be a viable option at both positions.

Remember TB80 got a whole week of coaching DD up close and personal well before the draft, so there's that extra layer too. Might have been Troy that really convinced him to get a headstart on adding some muscle.

From now on I want Troy Brown to be the person in charge of drafting receivers. He needs veto power over BB or anyone else....Kraft needs to put his foot down...as I said before, when it is time for the Patriots to pick a WR, BB should be tied to the mast like Odysseus not be allowed to command the ship, in spite of the Siren call of the WRs who did great interviews.

Last edited:
From now on I want Troy Brown to be the person in charge of drafting receivers. He needs veto power of BB or anyone else....Kraft needs to put his foot down...
I remember Deion Branch said before the 2019 draft that the Pats should draft DK Metcalf or AJ Brown. Sigh.

Zappe threw for over 6000yds his senior year. His arm works fine.
There was some talking head on the radio, one of the afternoon douche bags, who said that Zappe did not have a strong arm. This D-Bag must have read it somewhere instead of actually using his own eyes. Zappe was lofting these 50-60 yard moon shots to Thornton after practice, maybe to shut up the D-Bags. Even on the short passes, Zappe was firing lasers....however Mac is still my Main Man.

In the old days, the reporting was really bad. I remember watching a Patriots practice at Bryant and the reporters were socializing and and milling about and not even watching what was going on on the field; then in their daily story they would talk about contracts and injuries and parrot back press releases--i.e. they did nothing with their own eyes. These days it is better and some of the reporters actually watch practice.

Maybe I should do some reporting. I have an old Press Pass...but I could get my head twisted off by, say, Trent Brown, after calling him a giant Tuna.

I do hope to get back to training camp if I can get a work-release from the wife. It was a great experience at a classy place.

Anyone want to meet up?

I remember Deion Branch said before the 2019 draft that the Pats should draft DK Metcalf or AJ Brown. Sigh.
Arrrggggg!!! That is sooo frustrating....if the Patriots had listened, Brady would still be here....

Hope you are right, although Perry was saying yesterday they like McSorley as a scout team QB. They might also just need Malik to get as many reps at possible at WR so he can be a viable option at both positions.
Ugh, Malik is going to have a tough time making the cut. Not impossible, but tough. The best we can hope for is that he can make it to the Practice Squad. I really hope that the Patriots can figure out a way to keep him; it sure would be fun to spring the option on the Jet or 'Fins

Last edited:
Count me as a person not looking forward to McDermott as our RT. Can't believe we might have to endure another year of him on the right side. Was not able to get out there against edge rushers.

Arrrggggg!!! That is sooo frustrating....if the Patriots had listened, Brady would still be here....
People are underestimating the fact that most of the league passed 2x on Metcalf because of the bad reports.

Not only that, but between Harry and Metcalf, another 5 WRs were taken. 2 of them turned out well, only 1 is with his current team, and 4 of them (counting Harry) are busts.

It's not just the Patriots who whiffed on Metcalf but at least 5 other teams took busts or middling WRs before him, and then the rest of the league who could have used but passed on him for lesser players.

In other words, it was never an either or, not when Isabella, Harry, Artega-Whiteside and a few others went before him

Count me as a person not looking forward to McDermott as our RT. Can't believe we might have to endure another year of him on the right side. Was not able to get out there against edge rushers.
Get in line...if he's Starting we're in trouble.

I'm still hopeful that Anderson will play RT, but I also like McDermott for what he is, a solid backup/replaceable starter, Reiff might find a good drug stash, Sow could surprise, and if one of the many young guard options shine Onwenu is an option. Although I'm not crazy about any one of the RT solutions I like that there are several semi reasonable options.

Last edited:
(It seemed like Demario Douglas was the star of camp on the offensive side of the ball. I found it interesting that Troy Brown spent a lot of time talking to Demario. hey seems to have exactly the same body size which might lead one to believe...we can only hope.)

Is he playing the in slot?
Douglas needs more work than the others who are likely to make the roster.

It seems like Troy would like to count on him as our backup punt returner. With Bolden possibly being our #5 CB, the Douglas project is very important. We would like to say goodbye to both Bryant and Wade.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back