PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tyquan Thornton Having a Tough Camp

Great player...but by the looks of things, he's hitting the gym and the team "nutritionist" than teaching these guys how to run routes.

Patriots legend. Bad coach.
I've felt that Troy was just hanging around the facility for the amenities and because he's got nothing better to do and he's not really engaged in the coaching, like a retired sea captain who hangs out all day in waterfront bars because he can't move on. It saddens me.

I give Tavai a lot of credit for that punch out yesterday. Washington was cruising and it looked like it was going to be 17-0 and it would be a repeat of the Saints game where they just check out on D because the offense can't move the ball but that play seemed to wake them up and they at least made it competitive.
Tavai absolutely is one of the bright spots on this team. He absolutely has a place on this team going forward. It's just so hard to watch them.. even at full strength before the Injury bug bit they couldn't score. It took me some time..But I realize Mac isn't it. I look at QBs all over the league especially rookies. CJ stroud is amazing. Huge arm and he has less to work with than Mac does. So this projects to be vastly different team next season.. unfortunately we have to deal with Mac for another season solely becuase he's "cheap".. I'll agree the defense has checked out.

I've felt that Troy was just hanging around the facility for the amenities and because he's got nothing better to do and he's not really engaged in the coaching, like a retired sea captain who hangs out all day in waterfront bars because he can't move on. It saddens me.
If I'm Troy I'd go back into sports commentary he was great on TV.. why would he want to leave and get underpaid on BBs staff, deal with these building 19 WR'S. It's mind boggling. In sure NBC Boston had to be paying him more than pennies on the dollar Bill does.

Tavai absolutely is one of the bright spots on this team. He absolutely has a place on this team going forward. It's just so hard to watch them.. even at full strength before the Injury bug bit they couldn't score. It took me some time..But I realize Mac isn't it. I look at QBs all over the league especially rookies. CJ stroud is amazing. Huge arm and he has less to work with than Mac does. So this projects to be vastly different team next season.. unfortunately we have to deal with Mac for another season solely becuase he's "cheap".. I'll agree the defense has checked out.
I know fans get sacred of blowing it all up and drafting a young guy early in the draft but that is really the way to do it 90% of the time. You might end up with Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, or Sam Darnold but you could also end up with Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen etc. That position you really need to swing for the fences and hope you hit big.

I know fans get sacred of blowing it all up and drafting a young guy early in the draft but that is really the way to do it 90% of the time. You might end up with Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, or Sam Darnold but you could also end up with Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen etc. That position you really need to swing for the fences and hope you hit big.
Agreed. As I've mentioned we'll have Mac at least one more season then he'll probably sign with San Fran as a back up. I still believe Trey Lance is talented and has a cannon. If we took a flyer on him I'd be all for it. I'll say ownership has been forced to have a look in the mirror and pretty much a football intervention this season. RK very much cares how his team is perceived locally and nationally. I keep hearing people say rock bottom.. we've already reached that this season... Godchaux his post game interview was very telling of how the defense feels. I believe as you said blow it up.. get rid of these bad contracts.. I think Parker and juju contracts aren't that bad ,easy to get out from under.

Agreed. As I've mentioned we'll have Mac at least one more season then he'll probably sign with San Fran as a back up. I still believe Trey Lance is talented and has a cannon. If we took a flyer on him I'd be all for it. I'll say ownership has been forced to have a look in the mirror and pretty much a football intervention this season. RK very much cares how his team is perceived locally and nationally. I keep hearing people say rock bottom.. we've already reached that this season... Godchaux his post game interview was very telling of how the defense feels. I believe as you said blow it up.. get rid of these bad contracts.. I think Parker and juju contracts aren't that bad ,easy to get out from under.
Juju and Parker would be about $14 million in dead cap post June 1st next year. We have almost that much dead cap money this year with Jonnu at $12.8 mill so it is definitely doable. My main issue with them is just having to watch them play every week. Thornton is frustrating to watch as he can't run routes and seems to loaf it but at least there is the slim chance he beats someone deep and Mac actually gets him the ball. Boutte we have no idea on because he can't get on the field. I'd rather lose and let young guys get reps than lose with guys who won't be here (hopefully) in a year.

Certainly had an impact in a negative way. At least Reagor could block.

Juju and Parker would be about $14 million in dead cap post June 1st next year. We have almost that much dead cap money this year with Jonnu at $12.8 mill so it is definitely doable. My main issue with them is just having to watch them play every week. Thornton is frustrating to watch as he can't run routes and seems to loaf it but at least there is the slim chance he beats someone deep and Mac actually gets him the ball. Boutte we have no idea on because he can't get on the field. I'd rather lose and let young guys get reps than lose with guys who won't be here (hopefully) in a year.
Yeah.. zo has said he's doesn't believe juju is right. That he's still not 100%.. if so then he should have been on PUP to start the season. I like juju, but I just don't think he fits this offense. So I can see them trading Parker or juju contract in the offseason. I have no faith at all they can draft and develop any WRs. Troy brown has some accountability in this too.. he publicly lobbied for the job when he was a sports analyst. I'd rather loose too and watch pop continue to play and gain experience. This season gave us all fans, ownership emphatic proof of where we are as a team in 2023 NFL.

I think I am. Coming to this view. I have been a Mac supporter till date but guess it time to move on. His skillset do not match well with our needs.

Yesterday, I saw Thorton do five stutter steps and then break on the stem of a 20-yard out route; he was questionable with a foot injury before the game. How many people should be fired for this? It is precisely the thing you don't do with a kid with his skill set and with a foot injury. One of the goals of an offensive game plan is to put receivers into routes where they can gain separation.

Yesterday, I saw Thorton do five stutter steps and then break on the stem of a 20-yard out route; he was questionable with a foot injury before the game. How many people should be fired for this? It is precisely the thing you don't do with a kid with his skill set and with a foot injury. One of the goals of an offensive game plan is to put receivers into routes where they can gain separation.
if he couldn’t make his cuts because his foot was injured how much was on him for saying he was good to go when he wasn’t?

or how much is his supposed injury a red herring when it’s just his bad technique with being better at stutter steps than making a crisp break?

either way he ended up where he belonged.

“…struggled to run a key route on his final series.”

Bill Belichick comments suggest Tyquan Thornton was benched after 12 snaps

if he couldn’t make his cuts because his foot was injured how much was on him for saying he was good to go when he wasn’t?

or how much is his supposed injury a red herring when it’s just his bad technique with being better at stutter steps than making a crisp break?

either way he ended up where he belonged.

“…struggled to run a key route on his final series.”

Bill Belichick comments suggest Tyquan Thornton was benched after 12 snaps
You don't have Douglas fight for jump balls on the sideline. You don't have Thorton run to a stop and then expect him to out juke a cornerback. You just don't.

Tyquan Thornton if he went to war

1699321513009.gif

Harry could block too.
Juju blocks like a Left Tackle.
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

I'd beg to say the 06 WR'S were better than what we have now. No 3rd down back, no slot WR..

Pop's our Slot guy now, so at least we have that going for us... But it's straight-out Negligence that another 3rd-Down RB wasn't signed Immediately after James White played his last NFL snap half-way through Mac's rookie season... Another move/non-move by this FO that makes no sense whatsoever.

Pop's our Slot guy now, so at least we have that going for us... But it's straight-out Negligence that another 3rd-Down RB wasn't signed Immediately after James White played his last NFL snap half-way through Mac's rookie season... Another move/non-move by this FO that makes no sense whatsoever.
Agreed. But just the overall construction of the roster.. you have to wonder why BB left this offense without It's main parts. 3rd down back, and slot WR.. how much better could Mac have been if James white never went down his rookie season. I know we are decimated by injury. But still had we properly stocked the offense we could have sustained injuries.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back