PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PP's DVR player evaluation - Preseason Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PP's DVR player evaluation- Pre-Season game 1

Box..there is no way I will ever look at that replay, and see that the OLB was doing his job.
Yes, I know, but if Woods makes the roster and gets playing time, you might wish to reconsider anyway.

Yes, I know, but if Woods makes the roster and gets playing time, you might wish to reconsider anyway.

I think Woods can still make the roster. But that is a reflection of the the lack of depth at OLB. None of our OLB's are strong run stoppers.

Fair enough, this could be true, I don't claim to be an expert on the matter as I've never tried to take on a 250+ LB fullback...but had it been AD taking on the blocker, do you think the result would've been the same?
Adalius came to NE with a reputation as a versatile player and a play maker, but he was not noted for be particularly strong at the point-of-attack against blockers. He likely would have had a better chance than Woods given he has an additional 20 lbs (reported) on the FB and at 6'1" he is also more likely to get lower against a 6' FB than the 6'5" Woods - who did make a good effort to get his pads down below the FBs. As it was, Woods was unable to make himself a foot shorter, but he did take the FB on with the left shoulder - correctly for that side of the formation, and at least got low enough to slow the runner following the block so he decided to cut it inside - see my diatribe above. ;)

Adalius came to NE with a reputation as a versatile player and a play maker, but he was not noted for be particularly strong at the point-of-attack against blockers. He likely would have had a better chance than Woods given he has an additional 20 lbs (reported) on the FB and at 6'1" he is also more likely to get lower against a 6' FB than the 6'5" Woods - who did make a good effort to get his pads down below the FBs. As it was, Woods was unable to make himself a foot shorter, but he did take the FB on with the left shoulder - correctly for that side of the formation, and at least got low enough to slow the runner following the block so he decided to cut it inside - see my diatribe above. ;)

Again, fair enough. I'm not looking at these things w trained eyes, so I'll defer in this instance. As I said, I've pretty much always been a fan of Woods, I just didn't think he looked too hot Thurs nite.

As for AD - I do think he's been stronger at the POA than advertised and think he is harder to move (the added weight). If we could clone AD, I'd do it twice and put him at ROLB, LOLB & SILB.

Which brings me to another point, not mentioned in any threads thus far - but for those looking for Adalius to rush the passer exclusively, don't get your hopes up. The coaching staff clearly likes his versatility in coverage too much to make him a one-dimensional or less multi-dimensional player. In the light 4-3 (w Burgess and TBC as ends), AD was almost strictly in coverage. In the bigger 4-3 (effectively a 6-1), he was rushing the passer more (percentage-wise, this package, obviously is in on more run-first situations).

Last edited:

Again, fair enough. I'm not looking at these things w trained eyes, so I'll defer in this instance. As I said, I've pretty much always been a fan of Woods, I just didn't think he looked too hot Thurs nite.

As for AD - I do think he's been stronger at the POA than advertised and think he is harder to move (the added weight). If we could clone AD, I'd do it twice and put him at ROLB, LOLB & SILB.

Which brings me to another point, not mentioned in any threads thus far - but for those looking for Adalius to rush the passer exclusively, don't get your hopes up. The coaching staff clearly likes his versatility in coverage too much to make him a one-dimensional or less multi-dimensional player. In the light 4-3 (w Burgess and TBC as ends), AD was almost strictly in coverage. In the bigger 4-3 (effectively a 6-1), he was rushing the passer more (percentage-wise, this package, obviously is in on more run-first situations).

Dude...your eyes are as good as anybody's on here. Don't sell yourself short on your analysis.

I could call myself an expert and berate you until you believe it. Still doesn't make me an expert. Just a bad person.;)

Dude...your eyes are as good as anybody's on here. Don't sell yourself short on your analysis.

I dunno about that tho...having never played/coached football though, I'm essentially relying on nothing more than having watched a lot of football, and really only started taking an interest in X's & O's in the last couple years since being on this board. Box raises a fair point, and I'm willing to listen.

I dunno about that tho...having never played/coached football though, I'm essentially relying on nothing more than having watched a lot of football, and really only started taking an interest in X's & O's in the last couple years since being on this board. Box raises a fair point, and I'm willing to listen.

Box....I hate to admit...is right more times than not. He screwed the pooch on this argument:D but that's another story. I have no issues with BOR.

Your analysis as an armchair QB like I and many on here are, is no less valid than...the experts. That was my point.

I could call myself an expert and berate you until you believe it. Still doesn't make me an expert. Just a bad person.;)
Well I ain't no expert, and in this heat I could wish to stay at a Holiday Inn Express and play in their pool. My football playing days never rose above the small high school level, so small they switched to soccer for my last two years to save money - sigh. I got into game analysis because in preseason one of our fellow posters was unloading on a player whom I thought had done well, I started breaking down the plays using my own terms to describe what I was seeing as a counter to the general "he sucks" posts.

Folks on here who coach/have coached or played more recently and at a higher level than I ever achieved chimed in to educate me as we discussed the anaylsis - not just what I saw, but why it was being done that way, or should have been done another way. If some want to call me an expert...:confused2:...maybe I should take up a collection and build that pool I dream about. :D

Well I ain't no expert, and in this heat I could wish to stay at a Holiday Inn Express and play in their pool. My football playing days never rose above the small high school level, so small they switched to soccer for my last two years to save money - sigh. I got into game analysis because in preseason one of our fellow posters was unloading on a player whom I thought had done well, I started breaking down the plays using my own terms to describe what I was seeing as a counter to the general "he sucks" posts.

Folks on here who coach/have coached or played more recently and at a higher level than I ever achieved chimed in to educate me as we discussed the anaylsis - not just what I saw, but why it was being done that way, or should have been done another way. If some want to call me an expert...:confused2:...maybe I should take up a collection and build that pool I dream about. :D

Just don't let Pierre Woods help you build it. It'll leak on the left side.:rolleyes:

BJGE is a nice player. If he gets beat out because of roster numbers...it'll be a shame....but understandable.

He can't block. He hasn't shown he can catch, and hes a terrible runner(3.7ypc). I'm failing to see how hes a nice player.

Just don't let Pierre Woods help you build it. It'll leak on the left side.:rolleyes:
Harrumph, I'm not the one leaking tears over the OLBs. :snob:

Here's the BB quote on techniques from yesterday:
Q: How much, if any, does Jerod Mayo’s role change whether you’re playing in a 4-3 or 3-4?

BB: Well, all of our players in the front seven play with the same techniques regardless of what the front is. We still fundamentally do the same thing. Depending on what the call is, their reads change and their responsibilities change as far as coverage, dealing with blockers, recognizing their blocking schemes and things like that. There are some adjustments when players play different alignments. But the fundamentals of those positions, basically, we try to keep those the same so we’re not changing the techniques.
It Is What It Is Bill Belichick Q&A, 8/16

Last edited:

He can't block. He hasn't shown he can catch, and hes a terrible runner(3.7ypc). I'm failing to see how hes a nice player.

For depth at a position that can get affected by injury very quickly, he has value.

If he could catch, block and get 4.4 ypc.....he'd be a starter.

But he's a tough little runner with decent instincts. No more....no less.

A nice player.

For depth at a position that can get affected by injury very quickly, he has value.

If he could catch, block and get 4.4 ypc.....he'd be a starter.

But he's a tough little runner with decent instincts. No more....no less.

A nice player.

Replacement level players, which he is, don't have value. Hes no better than any other UDFA. There are ALWAYS guys available who can get you 3.7 ypc.

Replacement level players, which he is, don't have value. Hes no better than any other UDFA. There are ALWAYS guys available who can get you 3.7 ypc.

Not ones that are as acclimated to the system as he is.

I didn't think calling a guy a "nice" player meant I was saying he's battling for a starting job.

I just think he's got decent skills, adds depth and it'd be a shame to lose him.

Great post, great thread. Thanks for taking the time to do this it is helpful especially for those of us stuck in North Carolina that can't see the preseason games!

Watch the video again. Then tell me how many runs went to his side.

Be honest now.

You have a history of warping, skewing and destroying reality rather than having to admit you're wrrrrr rrrong Fonzie.

Thats how you think you'll win all your arguments.....berate and name call someone until the original argument is destroyed...People are on to you DB.

Hey SFBs. As usual, you got me mixed up with someone else. I have admitted to being wrong PLENTY of times.. I'm not the one going around spewing dumbness like you do. Nor do I have a history of warping, skewing and destroying reality.

If you are going to blatantly lie, go waste someone else's time.

If Woods gets tossed to the ground by the blocker, what difference does it make if the run went outside or not? His job is to win the battle vs. the man blocking him, and I wasn't impressed on Thursday nite.

It makes plenty of different as to whether the run goes inside to be gobbled up that the MLB or if it goes outside to have to be taken care of by the deep safety.

Also, Woods wasn't tossed to the ground. He wasn't bulldozed. Did he land on the ground eventually? Yep... just about the end of the paly..

It was in the Eagles 2nd drive in quarter 2, he was lifted and pushed back by the OL.

Which do you consider to be the 2nd drive of the 2nd quarter? The one that started 1st and 10 from the Eagles 7 or the one that started 1st and 10 from the Eagles 29?

On the two full series in the 2nd quarter, Woods lined up at DE for 2 plays. That's it. The ROLB was Guyton, not Woods.

Not only did I check my notes, I just re-watched the two full series that the Eagles had. Woods did not line up at LB in either series.

And yes, that means I have to AMEND what I said about Woods in coverage. It was him that had the coverage, it was Guyton...

Which do you consider to be the 2nd drive of the 2nd quarter? The one that started 1st and 10 from the Eagles 7 or the one that started 1st and 10 from the Eagles 29?

On the two full series in the 2nd quarter, Woods lined up at DE for 2 plays. That's it. The ROLB was Guyton, not Woods.

Not only did I check my notes, I just re-watched the two full series that the Eagles had. Woods did not line up at LB in either series.

And yes, that means I have to AMEND what I said about Woods in coverage. It was him that had the coverage, it was Guyton...

Note to DB:

Difficult to AMEND crayon.

Try pencil....and invest in a big eraser. :singing:

Yes, don't sell yourself short, BradyManny. Even though you made the same mistake I did and thought that it was Woods on the field when it was Guyton at OLB in the 2nd quarter. Guyton actually played the entire 2nd quarter at OLB. Woods only saw time at DE in the 2nd. And, from what I saw, it was 2 plays.

BTW, Push, I don't call myself an expert. Never have. I've also admitted to being wrong plenty of times and have done so in this thread. But I'm not wrong about Woods and how his play was solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back