PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PP's DVR player evaluation - Preseason Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PP's DVR player evaluation- Pre-Season game 1

Yep, he's wearing #39, it's a dead giveaway that a "tight" player is in the backfield and will be lugging the rock shortly - for whatever reason, last season, the play calling rarely involved Maroney in the passing game. This game was similar, when LoMo is in the game the defense keys on the run and aggressive defenses like Philly start run blitzing. I've speculated that it may be a long term playcalling strategy to set defenses up for the run then start hitting Maroney out of the backfield in the passing game, either that or Josh was

There was no long term play-calling strategy, you're grasping at straws (again). Maroney was hardly used as a pass catching back, after supposedly setting up this Maroney=run tendency. As was evident the way we stubbornly used shot gun the majority of our offense going all the way back to the start of 2006, McKid identifies a way he wants to operate with his players, and expectant defense be damned, he's going to do it over and over and rely on better execution to pull it off.

I've been a big Woods backer, but when I watched this game back, PushinPencils was spot on - Woods was physically overmatched. In fact, AllWorldTE on PatriotsPlanet himself said he thought Woods did a poor job setting the edge.

PushinPencils was so wrong it was pathetic. There wasn't a single run that went to the OUTSIDE of Woods.

AWTE or PushinPencils? I think I jotted down 3 plays in specific where Woods looked more interested in checking out the Eagles cheerleaders (not that I'm complaining, but they were abnormally prevalent in the DVR) than trying to engage a blocker.

Which plays are you referring to?

BTW, PushnPencils skipped a few plays as well. Plays that Woods was in on that Woods played perfectly.

Woods was solid and did his job. He's not a pro-bowler and no one is acting like he's the next coming of Steve Nelson. However, Pushn and others who either don't understand the game or are disingenuous with their exaggerations, make it sound like Woods doesn't even belong on the field. Yet, he was the most consistent player not named Mayo in the LBing corp against the Eagles.

BTW, PushnPencils skipped a few plays as well. Plays that Woods was in on that Woods played perfectly.

Woods was solid and did his job. He's not a pro-bowler and no one is acting like he's the next coming of Steve Nelson. However, Pushn and others who either don't understand the game or are disingenuous with their exaggerations, make it sound like Woods doesn't even belong on the field. Yet, he was the most consistent player not named Mayo in the LBing corp against the Eagles.[/QUOTE]

That line confirms it. You're being tended to by a whole team of physicians...aren't you?

I will comment on the controversial analyses.

MARONEY
Belichick will judge Maroney with regard to what he did with what he was given. He did NOT dance. Morris does NOT average more yards or fewer negative yard situations. Maroney does pick up blitzes and protect the quarterback. While I understand that he could be being showcased, I think he is a reasonable running back as part of a four running back mix. I understand that there are those who would rather keep a Practice Squad running back on the squad who does reasonably well againts third and fourth stringers. A wildcard is that when the season starts, Maroney may very well be our kick returner.

WOODS
Someone ignorantly posted that Woods is our #4 ROLB, with Crable as competition for that spot. Woods is our #1 ROLB against the run. Banta-Cain is our #1 ROLB against the pass. The role of Burgess is to be determined. There are no other ROLB's unless you count Alexander who is camp fodder at anything but special teams. Crable has shown very little.

Woods was not special. He was not great. He was our weakest defensive starter. That being said, he played well enough for us to win. He kept the running backs inside.

Woods was solid and did his job. He's not a pro-bowler and no one is acting like he's the next coming of Steve Nelson. However, Pushn and others who either don't understand the game or are disingenuous with their exaggerations, make it sound like Woods doesn't even belong on the field. Yet, he was the most consistent player not named Mayo in the LBing corp against the Eagles.

I'll have to check the notes when I get off from work. But OTOH, I know there was one in the 1st quarter where he was completely overmatched and brought down, and one in the 2nd where he was thrown off the line (ironically, he ended up in on the tackle on this play).

Don't get me wrong, I like Woods. I thought he has looked good dating back to pre-season last year. But the exhibition game the other nite, he looked pretty lethargic & lacking in effort/strength. You gotta show up better than that, especially when there's such competition at the spot.

Last edited:

PushinPencils was so wrong it was pathetic. There wasn't a single run that went to the OUTSIDE of Woods.

I'm not disagreeing with this as I can't think of a run that went outside of him, but in terms of 1 on 1 matchups, if you single out Woods on some of those plays, he didn't show well. Did it hurt the team? No, not really. As I said, even one of the plays he was pushed back on, he ended up in the tackle. But ultimately, you want a better showing out of your starting OLB, pre-season or not.

As for the Maroney issue...it really is painfully obvious he's running against a lot more defenders in the box. He truly did the best he could with the holes he was given. He had a couple savvy cuts and I like what I saw.

If anyone has something negative to say, I encourage them to check the DVR, its really obvious. Now, how can that be fixed? I dunno. I'm not a professional football coach, but Maroney is treated by defenses like the best running back on this team, and its for a reason.

I'll have to check the notes when I get off from work. But OTOH, I know there was one in the 1st quarter where he was completely overmatched and brought down, and one in the 2nd where he was thrown off the line (ironically, he ended up in on the tackle on this play).

The only play that he was "thrown down" was a play in which he stood up Leonard Weaver and forced the RB inside towards Mayo. What play in the 2nd was he "throwd off the line."

Don't get me wrong, I like Woods. I thought he has looked good dating back to pre-season last year. But the exhibition game the other nite, he looked pretty lethargic & lacking in effort/strength. You gotta show up better than that, especially when there's such competition at the spot.

Again, I don't know where you get that he was " lethargic and lacking in strength" because that just wasn't the case..

I'm not disagreeing with this as I can't think of a run that went outside of him, but in terms of 1 on 1 matchups, if you single out Woods on some of those plays, he didn't show well. Did it hurt the team? No, not really. As I said, even one of the plays he was pushed back on, he ended up in the tackle. But ultimately, you want a better showing out of your starting OLB, pre-season or not.

Wow.....no runs towards Woods.

I'm sure Philly gameplanners and rb's made sure they totally avoided having to engage "THE GREAT PIERRE"!

They'd rather take their chances with Seymour, Wilfork and Mayo.

There were 2 runs that went to Wood's side. One that Seymour stopped and the other where Woods got disemboweled by an FB and the rb ran for 7 yards.

HUH? What more can you ask for than him setting the edge on the plays he was supposed to? He did so very well, standing up guys who were 100lbs heavier than he was and forcing the RB inside towards Mayo. Which is Woods job.

I DID single Woods out on the plays. And what I saw was a guy who was solidly doing his job. He was setting the edge, preventing runs outside. The few times he was in coverage, he played them perfectly. I'm not proclaiming him to be Steve Nelson. But to say that you expect MORE, to mean means that you need to be the one to re-evaluate your expectations.

Wow.....no runs towards Woods.

I'm sure Philly gameplanners and rb's made sure they totally avoided having to engage "THE GREAT PIERRE"!

They'd rather take their chances with Seymour, Wilfork and Mayo.

There were 2 runs that went to Wood's side. One that Seymour stopped and the other where Woods got disemboweled by an FB and the rb ran for 7 yards.

This is such garbage. There were more than two runs to the left side of the Eagles line while Pierre was on the field. The least you could do is not friggin LIE about it.

Hell, you even got shot down by Box regarding the run where you continue to BS and exaggerate what the FB did.... Yet you still spew your lies. Keep it up. You are quickly falling into the troll level. :banned:

This is such garbage. There were more than two runs to the left side of the Eagles line while Pierre was on the field. The least you could do is not friggin LIE about it.

Hell, you even got shot down by Box regarding the run where you continue to BS and exaggerate what the FB did.... Yet you still spew your lies. Keep it up. You are quickly falling into the troll level. :banned:

Watch the video again. Then tell me how many runs went to his side.

Be honest now.

You have a history of warping, skewing and destroying reality rather than having to admit you're wrrrrr rrrong Fonzie.

Thats how you think you'll win all your arguments.....berate and name call someone until the original argument is destroyed...People are on to you DB.

HUH? What more can you ask for than him setting the edge on the plays he was supposed to? He did so very well, standing up guys who were 100lbs heavier than he was and forcing the RB inside towards Mayo. Which is Woods job.

If Woods gets tossed to the ground by the blocker, what difference does it make if the run went outside or not? His job is to win the battle vs. the man blocking him, and I wasn't impressed on Thursday nite.

The only play that he was "thrown down" was a play in which he stood up Leonard Weaver and forced the RB inside towards Mayo. What play in the 2nd was he "throwd off the line."

It was in the Eagles 2nd drive in quarter 2, he was lifted and pushed back by the OL.

Last edited:

If Woods gets tossed to the ground by the blocker, what difference does it make if the run went outside or not? His job is to win the battle vs. the man blocking him, and I wasn't impressed on Thursday nite.

You are right. The FB's job was to block out the OLB to give the RB room to run. He blocked (actually bodyslammed) Woods to the outside. The run went for 7 yards inside.

I'm sure BB is looking at the tape saying "Boy.....ol' Pierre held the **** out of that edge...didn't he..."

Here's a crazy thought. Maybe Woods should have shed the blocker and made the tackle?

This is where I take issue with some of the "analysis," what are the job requirements? You are maintaining he needs to make the tackle, regardless of whether he is blocked, unblocked, double-teamed, or whatever. If that were the standard BB used Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork would be playing elsewhere because they have runners getting by them all the time while they are blocked.

When BB talked in a press conference over the weekend, about teaching fundamental techniques applicable to 3-4 or 4-3, we have to reassess 'our' priorities and try to see the play through BB's eyes. To that end, the leading tacklers for NE are almost always ILBs and Safeties - the guys in the middle of the field. BB's defense is designed to funnel the runners into the congestion in the middle of the field where the greatest chance exists for them to run into an unblocked defender.

If Woods had been completely unblocked by the FB on Pencil's hand wringing 7 yd play, Woods would have still done his job if he forced the runner to cutback and run inside. On the play in question, Woods (blocked) and Sanders (unblocked) and Mayo (who was blocked) turned McCoy back inside where he was unable to avoid an unblocked Adalius. The execution on the play still needs to evaluate the role of the DL - which I can't do with Pees experimenting in preseason test pilot mode, but the three LBs and the Safety executed their assignments.

It's easy to get on 250 lb Woods because he was knocked down when a 250 lb FB running at full speed ran into him, but Woods applied those fundamentals BB teaches and despite getting knocked down, and not making the tackle, he turned the runner back inside - that was a win for Woods.

Matt Light had a bad night in the run game. Never been a fan of his run blocking. He's not aggressive in his run blocks and gives up too early.

Light has been a strong run blocker in the past and in 2008, won 90.1% of his Point of Attack (POA) blocks.

Maroney a lack of running space to the left side on two plays in particular. If Light had been a little less lackadaisical LoMo may have done a little more on those plays.

Contrary to popular belief...Lomo did very little UNNECESSARY dancing behind the line. I replayed his run plays a few times each....and Maroney was truly a victim of having no place to run.

This simply gives Maroney an excuse. There was one play in the 1stQ that he made a cut when he should have attacked the line. Regardless, Maroney has failed to play up to the level of a 1st round RB.

Dan Koppen gets manhandled on running plays.

That's nothing new. Last season, Koppen had 84.3% POA wins. On the whole, centers tend to be the weak link on most O-lines, since their ability to snap while getting hit outweighs standard blocking skills.

Wilhite to me is a stronger, more agrressive version of Asante. Bright kid...always in the right position.

Agreed! Wilhite was impressive last year! :D

I can only judge Myron Pryor on one game so far. But WOW! Great motor. Pursues and makes plays into the secondary. Tremendous quickness and first step. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Probably the likely reason the team traded Smith.

Other than one pass pressure that forced a holding call.....LeKevin Smith was a weak link on the D-Line in the first half.

Smith did make the most of his opportunities when he played in real games. At least the Pats got something for him, rather than just cutting him.

Meriweather is Rodney Harrison reincarnated. Team leader, awesome physical presence and a much smarter player than I first thought.

Brandon first opened my eyes in the 49ers game last season when he was tested on deep routes. He's become a terrific cover safety. I don't think he's the physical player RH was, however.

Lay off James Sanders. He did very little wrong and was a solid player the entire time he played.

Pat Chung with more time and experience is gonna be an awesome player.

I like Sanders, but he'll have a hard time keeping Chung from taking over his starting spot. IMO, Chung is more a RH-type. What impressed me about Chung is that he plays faster than his 40-times and he's always around the ball. Either he breaks up a pass or smacks the receiver as soon as he catches it. Chung will be a star. Sanders has been a solid but unspectacular player.

Terrence Wheatley looked pretty bad and got beat WAY too often.

I hate to say this but I saw the same thing. His missed time with his wrist has hampered his development. I did see some flashes against Indy last year, which was the game where he re injured his wrist. Give him time.

Pierre Woods was horrible. Other than one play which he had QB pressure. He did NOTHING. He could not hold the edge AT ALL on runs and got absolutely destroyed by a full back on one play.

The fact that the team traded 2 picks for Burgess, is entertaining the idea of signing Kevin Carter, and brought back TBC, show just how much confidence the team has in Woods.

TBC looked good rushing the passer, but on run plays was a non-entity.
Adalius Thomas looked lethargic.

TBC is pretty much a one dimensional player on D. I expect Thomas to have a big year. He'd better with the money the team is paying him!

Burgess had some nice pass pressure...in limited playing time.

Other than one dropped pass and one pass Brady threw into tight coverage, not much else to judge Galloway on.

Alex Smith had a bad night of blocking.

Burgess looked very good in the 4-3. Maybe AT will have the type of results he had back in 2006 with the Ravens 4-3?

Galloway will come around. He hasn't lost a step and he brings an experienced veteran's presence.

I have the feeling (shared by many) that Smith won't make the cut.

Eric Alexander had the worst night of any player on the team. COMPLETELY INEFFECTIVE in every aspect of the game.

Alexander is like gum on your shoe. You don't want to see him on the roster, yet there he is on Teams during the regular season. I can't stand him. I really, really hope that he's not on the roster this time around.

Butler, I thought overall, had a great evening. WR's had a little bit of seperation on him twice....but luckily pass pressure forced bad throws to them. Great night overall though. Quick and looks super confident.

I still can't believe Butler lasted that long in the draft.

SeaBass....other than getting lost on a broken play....looked pretty dominant.

Connolly, Britt, Yates and Wendell looked pretty lost and crappy.

I remember when the Giants drafted Osi in the 2nd round, everyone was dumping on Accorsi wondering why he would reach for an "unknown" that high.

I got the same feeling when the Pats took Vollmer in the 2nd. I saw him play at UH and he looked dominant. He could be better than most (maybe all) of the O-linemen taken in round 1. Many of whom were overrated, IMO.

I've never liked Britt and Yates. They both have been terrible. Turnstile Yates almost got Cassel killed last year. For 2 years, Britt couldn't challenge Kaczur, whom I've never been a big fan of. I'll be mad if these guys are still wearing Pats unis in Sept.

Tank Williams and Mike Richardson had pretty poor showings.

Richardson went bye-byes. He was lucky to get on an NFL roster for 3 seasons. Now that the team was finally able to stockpile talent at CB, the inevitable happened to him.

Tank was looking like a contributor until an ACL put him on IR in 2008. Too bad. There doesn't seem to be a spot for him now, which is a good thing with the younger players stepping up.

Great post, PP!!!

Enjoyed it!!!

TYVM :cool:

Last edited:

It's easy to get on 250 lb Woods because he was knocked down when a 250 lb FB running at full speed ran into him, but Woods applied those fundamentals BB teaches and despite getting knocked down, and not making the tackle, he turned the runner back inside - that was a win for Woods.

Fair enough, this could be true, I don't claim to be an expert on the matter as I've never tried to take on a 250+ LB fullback...but had it been AD taking on the blocker, do you think the result would've been the same?

This is where I take issue with some of the "analysis," what are the job requirements? You are maintaining he needs to make the tackle, regardless of whether he is blocked, unblocked, double-teamed, or whatever.

Quite the contrary, I was saying I wasn't looking at the result of the play, but how his strength looked in taking on blockers. In a sense, the outcome of the play mattered little either way to me, I saw Woods get physically overmatched and - perhaps wrongly, given your explanation - assumed this was not good.

Last edited:

This is where I take issue with some of the "analysis," what are the job requirements? You are maintaining he needs to make the tackle, regardless of whether he is blocked, unblocked, double-teamed, or whatever. If that were the standard BB used Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork would be playing elsewhere because they have runners getting by them all the time while they are blocked.

When BB talked in a press conference over the weekend, about teaching fundamental techniques applicable to 3-4 or 4-3, we have to reassess 'our' priorities and try to see the play through BB's eyes. To that end, the leading tacklers for NE are almost always ILBs and Safeties - the guys in the middle of the field. BB's defense is designed to funnel the runners into the congestion in the middle of the field where the greatest chance exists for them to run into an unblocked defender.

If Woods had been completely unblocked by the FB on Pencil's hand wringing 7 yd play, Woods would have still done his job if he forced the runner to cutback and run inside. On the play in question, Woods (blocked) and Sanders (unblocked) and Mayo (who was blocked) turned McCoy back inside where he was unable to avoid an unblocked Adalius. The execution on the play still needs to evaluate the role of the DL - which I can't do with Pees experimenting in preseason test pilot mode, but the three LBs and the Safety executed their assignments.

Box..there is no way I will ever look at that replay, and see that the OLB was doing his job. There was no technique or savvy displayed by Woods on that play or any play he was on the field for.

He got beat there handily was mediocre at best the rest of the game. If Alexander wasn't such a train wreck, I would have told you Woods was one of the most if not the most ineffective players on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back