PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PP's DVR player evaluation - Preseason Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PP's DVR player evaluation- Pre-Season game 1

His "style" worked better on ESPN. More interaction on there with supporters of other franchises.

Here.....he's just eating his own.

My "style" has worked here just fine. Never been banned. I know the rules. I stay within then or toe the line...

BTW, noticed that you haven't admitted to being wrong about Woods yet... Crediting him for bad plays that were actually Guyton..

My "style" has worked here just fine. Never been banned. I know the rules. I stay within then or toe the line... .

There are rules here? I've seen some of the most offensive forum behavior anywhere, here, and I've never even seen anyone suspended.

There are rules here? I've seen some of the most offensive forum behavior anywhere, here, and I've never even seen anyone suspended.

Sorry Synovia, but the behavior here is pretty tame. And I have seen people banned here. Plenty

My "style" has worked here just fine. Never been banned. I know the rules. I stay within then or toe the line...

BTW, noticed that you haven't admitted to being wrong about Woods yet... Crediting him for bad plays that were actually Guyton..

When you make a more convincing argument other than telling me how ignorant I am.....

In this case....I'll accept "my interpretation" of multiple game replays.

I tend to evaluate all players with some cynicism....especially those who are heirs apparent to a role that had been held down solidly by the likes of Mike Vrabel.

Those are big shoes to fill, and based on what I've seen from Woods....he's not up to the task.

I don't expect him to be Vrabel.....I expect him to be adequate.

Last Thursday.....he was miles from adequate.

When you make a more convincing argument other than telling me how ignorant I am.....

I tend to evaluate all players with some cynicism....especially those who are heirs apparent to a role that had been held down solidly by the likes of Mike Vrabel.

Those are big shoes to fill, and based on what I've seen from Woods....he's not up to the task.

DaBruinz' argument was fine. More than one person who's broken down the game has stated that Woods was 'adequate' (your term). You just disagree.

I did.. You just read what you wanted to read. You didn't actually read what was said..

First and foremost, Vrabel played DE in 2001 in the Pats 4-3 and played OLB from 2002 - 2008 except for the short stint at ILB. Woods was playing OLB in the 3-4 for 2 games and in this last one was playing an entirely different position in the 4-3 by playing ROLB. How can you compare the two when their responsibilities differ so extremely..

What you've believed you saw and what really happened are two different things. You've exaggerated every play that he was in on, almost to the point of lying about it.

You clearly DO expect him to be Vrabel since you are using Vrabel as a comparison. As for Last Thursday, You've yet to prove you understand what it means to set the edge on a running play. And you don't seem to understand that just because an offensive player makes a good play that doesn't mean the defensive player he beat made bad one.

DaBruinz' argument was fine. More than one person who's broken down the game has stated that Woods was 'adequate' (your term). You just disagree.

You're right. I have no issue with anyone disagreeing with me. Many have.

A forum like this is filled with diverging opinions. But, unless provoked....I may disagree but I won't start questioning a posters mental capacity or insinuating that they are "evidently" a football novice.

Last edited:

Sorry Synovia, but the behavior here is pretty tame. And I have seen people banned here. Plenty

In this thread, maybe. This forum as a whole? Its pretty bad compared to most forums. Most forums Harry would have been banned on his third post.

I did.. You just read what you wanted to read. You didn't actually read what was said..

First and foremost, Vrabel played DE in 2001 in the Pats 4-3 and played OLB from 2002 - 2008 except for the short stint at ILB. Woods was playing OLB in the 3-4 for 2 games and in this last one was playing an entirely different position in the 4-3 by playing ROLB. How can you compare the two when their responsibilities differ so extremely..

What you've believed you saw and what really happened are two different things. You've exaggerated every play that he was in on, almost to the point of lying about it.

You clearly DO expect him to be Vrabel since you are using Vrabel as a comparison. As for Last Thursday, You've yet to prove you understand what it means to set the edge on a running play. And you don't seem to understand that just because an offensive player makes a good play that doesn't mean the defensive player he beat made bad one.

Question.

Would you have been completely comfortable with Woods as our starting OLB this season?

Last edited:

First and foremost, Vrabel played DE in 2001

Vrabel has played LB his entire time in New England while probably playing DE on passing downs.

Last edited:

Vrabel has played LB his entire time in New England while probably playing DE on passing downs.

Vrabel was playing both DE and LLB in 2001, so I do have to correct myself.. He was at both in 2001, but primarily at LLB...

Question.

Would you have been completely comfortable with Woods as our starting OLB this season?

You can put me into the yes column. I sense you have a touch of jet fans delusion sydrome. Your expectations require that EVERY player play at a pro bowl level. You have no tolerance for players who do their jobs in an unspectacular manner. To date, I am confident that in a 3-4 OLB position that Pierre Woods can give us a solid edge setter and someone who will garner 4-6 sacks, along with the appropriate number of pressures. In other words, what Mike Vrabel gave us last season.

The Pats defensive system, to date, hasn't relied on INDIVIDUALS creating great sack totals, despite the fact that until last season, as a TEAM, they had been amongst the leaders in sacks for several seasons. Vrabel's 12 in 2007 was one of the few (if any) examples of an INDIVIDUAL player getting double digit sacks.

Yet somehow some fans get pissed because he don't have a Shawn Merriman type sack artist. Don't need one. We just need to be good enough to create the defensive pressure needed to be a consistent defense. We don't need Boddin to be an elite CB in the league. Just better than Delta ONeal or Ellis Hobbs....and if he does become an elite CB, so much the better.

People sometimes forget BB's most consistent urging to his team, "Just DO YOUR JOB!" Personally I think he's happy with Woods' progress to date. I'm sorry that you are not. But you'll have to pardon me, if....right now....I go with Bill's view.

Last edited:

You can put me into the yes column
Yup, he'd have had to prove to me he regressed from his starts last season, something I wouldn't expect unless he lost a lot of muscle mass while living on liquids.

Heh Db, you've put a fine enough point on that pencil, go check out Ken's impressions thread so we can get our Alexander argument back on track.

Yup, he'd have had to prove to me he regressed from his starts last season, something I wouldn't expect unless he lost a lot of muscle mass while living on liquids.

Surprisingly....No for me.

My belief is that going into the season the coaching staff wasn't satisfied either.

Hence the acquisitions of TBC, Burgess as well as the prominent display of the 4-3 in camp so far.

Heh Db, you've put a fine enough point on that pencil, go check out Ken's impressions thread so we can get our Alexander argument back on track.

Oh....yeah. Alexander stinks too.:D

Oh....yeah. Alexander stinks too.:D
tbrn258l.jpg

I still say that Alexander played a horrible game and was out of position more often than not.. Not to mention that he got burned on a couple of pass plays..

With Guyton, Bruschi and Mayo there, I don't see Alexander as being long for the team.. But its still long pre-season.

I still say that Alexander played a horrible game and was out of position more often than not.. Not to mention that he got burned on a couple of pass plays..

With Guyton, Bruschi and Mayo there, I don't see Alexander as being long for the team.. But its still long pre-season.
:rofl: Don't be moving the goal posts on me bubba! You wanted to discuss that one drive, but we can go round the maypole with the second half too. ;)

I disagree some what. First Alexander got a lot of time as a MLB in both runnng AND passing situations, when he hasn't played the position in practice, at least from what I saw. So while I saw some things I'd like to be done better, I'd temper my criticism with that fact. I also think you minimize Alexander's value to the STs. BB has put a sizable commitment in improving the production he got last season, bringing in FAs, coaches, and drafting player who would benefit STs. If you want to make an analogy, Alexander could be this team's Larry Izzo, only someone who has more value as a LB

BTW, Alexander's value as a LB is in coverage (inside and out), and Guyton Bruschi, and Mayo should be enough for the regular ILB Defense. So we do agree on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore