PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Is Chris Long an upgrade from Chandler Jones?

• If he can stay healthy, then yes

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • Need to see more, but so far, I like what I see!

Votes: 99 50.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean how many points allowed is a reasonable metric to determine how effective a defense is? :p

There are several trends below. Lets see if other posters can pick them up.

Points Allowed Rank- Yards Allowed Rank
2000- 17th - 20th
2001- 6th- 24th
2002- 17th- 23rd
2003- 1st- 7th
2004- 2nd- 9th
2005- 17th- 26th
2006- 2nd- 6th
2007- 4th- 4th
2008- 8th- 10th
2009- 5th- 11th
2010- 8th- 25th
2011- 15th- 31st
2012- 9th- 25th
2013- 10th- 26th
2014- 8th- 13th
2015- 10th- 9th
2016- 4th-14th

To think, in 2007 we had a record-breaking offense AND the League's #4 ranked defense in scoring defense and yards allowed!!! That's insane!

Last edited:
We tricked the Steelers into letting their backup QB throw the ball 47 times against a defense that was dropping 8 into coverage. Meanwhile, the best RB in the NFL is staying in as a pass protector against a 3 man rush. Matty P rocks.

TO is crucial.
Red zone rank not so much, because not all TDs are scored in the red zone.
I think fans get mixed up on this. Red zone defense is critical, when you are in the red zone and can be game changing, but in the bigger picture, if you win and are not allowing a lot of points, its a conversation piece.

Exactly.

Takeaways per game.

03- 3rd
04- 1st
05-31st
06-4th
07-10th
08-22rd
09-12th
10-2nd
11-4th
12-7th
13-2nd
14-10th
15-23rd
16-19th

With as many yards as the 10-12 teams allowed, if they didn't force TO they would have finished in PA much,much worse.

What is also interesting is with the exception of 03, 04, 06 the Red Zone D was not in the Top 10

Same goes for 3rd down D. Except for 03 and 07, they were not in the top 10.

To think, in 2007, we had a record-breaking offense, AND the League's #4 ranked defense in scoring defense and yards allowed!!! That's insane!
Only real negative in 07 was that they finished 21st in Red Zone D.

Long has fallen off a cliff and Jones is playing at a superstar level

It's like a Brady to Andy Dalton level downgrade.

Sorry Jones haters, not only is Jones a beast compared to Long but Jones made Sheard better, Sheard is mediocre without Jones on the other side taking up most of the attention.

Still don't get why people love Long here. He's okay. Flowers is the real upgrade.

Holy ****!

I've said it before, Long has a great motor which allows him to consistently pressure the QB. The problem though is that at this stage Long doesn't have the explosiveness anymore to consistently hit the QB. Long has 3 sacks and 8 hits. I don't know what Jones' statistics through the last two weeks of the season were last year, but his totals were 12.5 sacks and 18 hits.

Oh, by the way, this season Jones is at 8 sacks and 16 hits. He needs 6.5 sacks or hits in the last two games to match last season's total.

When did he change positions?

You're welcome to label him as you please, but

“Trey’s outstanding. He’s one of our best players,” fellow defensive lineman Chris Long said. “He’s done it pretty much all rushing inside, which is even more impressive. There’s very few inside rushers in our game that have put up numbers like him. As far as that’s concerned, that’s something very few people think about. That would make him a pretty elite rusher from in there.”

Long isn’t the only Patriots defender with that viewpoint.

“He’s a great pass rusher,” Ryan said. “He’s so underrated, and he’s so young. He doesn’t even know how good he’s gonna be, but that kid’s special. We see it. This guy’s getting snaps at nose tackle. That’s just insane. He’s a great player. He’s definitely on an up and up in this league.”

Trey Flowers, Patriots’ Defense Peaking At Perfect Time After Week 15 Win

Thinking of Flowers as the replacement/"upgrade" to Easley is probably the way to go.

Long - Jones
Flowers - Easley

No, he's a DE who OCCASIONALLY lines up inside in some pass rush situational defenses, but in no way is he a DT

You're welcome to label him as you choose. Chris Long and I view him differently than do you.

No, he's a DE who OCCASIONALLY lines up inside in some pass rush situational defenses, but in no way is he a DT
I do notice that Reiss lists him with the DEs in his snapcounts.

And a month later, Long is still making plays, and Jones (as per usual) has packed it in for the year.
I agree with you 100%. He may not have the numbers Jones did here. But he is certainly disruptive and he is disruptive past game 10. Jones always seemed to fade off after week 10. Last year week 10 is when Sheard seemed to hit his stride, when it mattered the most. I liked Jones a lot, but I do agree he faded week 10 or so.

You're welcome to label him as you please, but

Trey Flowers, Patriots’ Defense Peaking At Perfect Time After Week 15 Win

Thinking of Flowers as the replacement/"upgrade" to Easley is probably the way to go.

Long - Jones
Flowers - Easley
A Defensive Lineman is what they called him. Who cares if he lines up on the edge or on the inside. He has played both roles and he has done it well. The Patriots website has him listed as a DE, to me, he is making plays, I don't care if they drop him back a LB..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News