PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pick #27- you'll be very disappointed if Pats pass on whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I don't want Brockers. We need a DL who can rush the passer more than another fatty..

As for the question I'll give mine by position

CB: Kirkpatrick or Jenkins
DE/OLB Ingram
OLine DeCastro/Martin

I love Kirkpatrick but would prefer Stephen Gilmore over Jenkins. I do not like Jenkins at only 5-10.

I love Kirkpatrick but would prefer Stephen Gilmore over Jenkins. I do not like Jenkins at only 5-10.

I don't necessarily mind him being 5'10". That isn't what worries me.

Remember that he shut down BOTH A.J. Green and Julio Jones last year (the #4 and #6 selections in last yr's draft), holding them both to only 4 catches apiece (Jones 19 total yds on 4 grabs).

I believe that he has tremendous talent. But then again, I also believe that Dez Bryant has tremendous talent too. (and he does)

It's the 'me first' attitude, the tendency to make poor decisions, the 2 drug charges, getting kicked out of a major program, and the flashy lifestyle that make me believe that Bill Belichick already may have him off of his draft board altogether.

And for all of those who think that we drafted A.Hernandez, Spikes etc, took Dillon and Moss---they are totally different situations. Anything can happen, sure, but I'd be surprised if Belichick even wanted him at all.

It won't matter anyway. He'll be long gone by the end of the 1st round.

Last edited:
Fletcher Cox, although I'll be a little surprised if he makes it to #27.

BB recognizes value when he sees it (and the 2nd round is close to as good as the late 1st IMO). I think they guys he wants will be gone (Cordy Glenn would surprise most to be here, and more if BB takes him. If he's here, BB takes him). Why? Vollmer, Waters, Mankins - 3 reasons.

So if BB deals #27. He deals #27 down about 7-10 slots for a high 2nd and a high 3rd (and a mid round pick next year). If so, these are next 6 picks (1st, 3 2nds, 2 3rds):

Josh Robinson
Vinny Curry
Devon Still
Trumaine Johnson FS
Shea McClellin
C Philip Blake or OG Osemele

Last edited:
That's sort of what I meant by I don't believe he can play well in space and if they didn't pull the trigger on Woodley who was a better match for us IMO then I don't see it for Upshaw.
Looks like Courtney Upshaw may be eating his way out of the first round.

Really, I think that you need to watch last year a little more closely. Mayo played outside quite a bit.

Yea, and he was below average most of the season.

Yea, and he was below average most of the season.

And BB always rewards below average players with contract extensions.:eek:

not sure if it is at 27 or 31, but if the patriots stay put I have this sinking feeling that one of those 2 picks is going to be Harrison Smith out of Notre Dame.
Harrison Smith = severely overrated.

Agree with you on Hightower although Barron's my man.
There are now four potential suitors for Mark Barron's services in the first round:

Cowboys
Bengals
Chargers
Jets

Last edited:
There are now four portential suitors for Mark Barron's services in the first round:

Cowboys
Bengals
Chargers
Jets

Agreed. We're not getting him without a trade up and whilst I'll be dancing a jig on draft night should we do so - I still maintain he's the prospect that will make the biggest impact for the Pats - I'm not getting my hopes up. I think it's unlikely we'll trade up to #13 for Mark Barron. I would personally but BB likely won't.

And BB always rewards below average players with contract extensions.:eek:

Uh, you are aware that the contract extension was prior to the season right? So, prior to his play at OLB in a 43? Mayo is a pretty good MLB in a 34, nothing spectacular, but better than average. As an OLB in a 43 he isn't, and that's not what his extension was based on.

I'm not getting my hopes up. I think it's unlikely we'll trade up to #13 for Mark Barron. I would personally but BB likely won't.
I would personally wait until the bottom of the third round and either select safety Markelle Martin or safety Brandon Taylor. Roll the dice with Barrett, Chung, Gregory, and a 2012 third round draft selection at the safety position for the 2012 NFL Season. The New England Patriots can seriously invest in the safety position in 2013, with a far stronger safety class coming out.

Well, disappointed isn't the word, because as I've stated in other threads I understand that he's a very risky pick (and I think he'll be gone before the #27), but if we had the chance, I'd really like to pick Janoris Jenkins. But well, what do I know, when he reaches his 5th suspension in 2 years in the league, you'll be thankful I'm not BB :D.

I would personally wait until the bottom of the third round and either select safety Markelle Martin or safety Brandon Taylor. Roll the dice with Barrett, Chung, Gregory, and a 2012 third round draft selection at the safety position for the 2012 NFL Season. The New England Patriots can seriously invest in the safety position in 2013, with a far stronger safety class coming out.

With Barron being my man this year but looking less likely to be the pick, expect me to be in full binky-drive on Eric Reid out of LSU next year. Enjoyed his game almost as much as I did Barron.

Uh, you are aware that the contract extension was prior to the season right? So, prior to his play at OLB in a 43? Mayo is a pretty good MLB in a 34, nothing spectacular, but better than average. As an OLB in a 43 he isn't, and that's not what his extension was based on.
images

Please see Sciz post. Thanks for playing, now let's move on.

Last edited:
I see exactly the same thing. If the Pats don't draft a pure corner and move McCourty to more time at safety then I can see us picking up a corner like Dennard or Johnson who could transition to FS. I would probably address it in the second round myself but if Belichick thinks he can move past the character issues then you'#re getting a top 20...potentially top 10....talent in Jenkins.

I wouldn't want PacMan II, and neither will Bill Belichick. as Bill has said "Life is too short, to put up with..."

Just how great did Pacman turn out to be? Sure he was talented... when he wasn't in jail, suspended, *****in bout his contract etc.

Is the criminal even still in the league?

Everyone overlooks Julian Edelman as a QB turned FS, one of the most common position conversions there is.

I wouldn't want PacMan II, and neither will Bill Belichick. as Bill has said "Life is too short, to put up with..."

Just how great did Pacman turn out to be? Sure he was talented... when he wasn't in jail, suspended, *****in bout his contract etc.

Is the criminal even still in the league?

Everyone overlooks Julian Edelman as a QB turned FS, one of the most common position conversions there is.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Jenkins is off the board here altogether, but he does have some great talent. As we know though, talent certainly isn't the only aspect when trying to project a player's worth.

Stranger things have happened in regards to the Edelman situation, so anything's possible. I'm not expecting it myself, but I am not the expert that Belichick is either.

I certainly wouldn't be shocked to find out that Belichick's idea of the main starter opposite Chung is already on the roster with one of the players that we have now.

I'm not yet attached to anybody who is realistically going to be there at 27, so...

I'll be very disappointed if Richardson or Blackmon are there and we pass.

:p

Increasingly this draft is shaping up that players that we thought would be available won't at #27.

I mean if Denver takes Mark Barron S at #25 instead of DT Jerel Worthy I'll be very disappointed. But I think they will.

So, as Ochmed Jones has said, we may be faced with OT Jonathan Martin as the best player available. I wouldn't mind, but it's sure fans would be disappointed.

Here's a recent, reputable mock draft from a few days ago: 2010 NFL DRAFT

Legitimately we might have the top players consisting of the following at the end of the draft: Martin, Gilmore, Konz, Fleener, Reyes, Adams. The only guy I can get excited about is Reyes coming from New England.

I think we either trade down, but for good value, or we reach for a player at a position of need that's early second round caliber. Or do we do what is common wisdom and take the best player available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News