PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pick #27- you'll be very disappointed if Pats pass on whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd much rather grab Silatolu in the 2nd, who has all the characteristics you'd want in an elite Center prospect, if he'd played Center in college he'd probably be a top 15 pick. Since he needs some time on the grill he'll actually be attainable, give him some time under Dante and he'll anchor the interior O-line for the next decade.

Wow, I'd be hard pressed to say that a guy who had so much trouble making academic eligibility and is considered shaky at reading plays has "all the characteristics you'd want in an elite center prospect." Physically, sure. But at center of all positions, that's only the beginning.

Wow, I'd be hard pressed to say that a guy who had so much trouble making academic eligibility and is considered shaky at reading plays has "all the characteristics you'd want in an elite center prospect." Physically, sure. But at center of all positions, that's only the beginning.

Exactly the reasoning that I still have for resigning Koppen to a low (1-2) year deal. There are many attributes and traits that go into being a center here, and part of me still believes that he can do some things better than Connelly.

Apparently, Belichick (or too many others ;) ) haven't seemed to agree with my assessment up to this point. I do wonder if the situation isn't being paused a bit depending upon the draft, possibly in the same sense that we may speculate Yerimiah Bell going hand in hand with a potential lack of safety pick.

Back to the point of Silatolu, I think there are other better centers who may offer better value taken after him.

You & Nut aren't alone in the Donta Hightower fan club.
PFW's Nolan Nawrocki likes him too, a lot.

ProFootballWeekly.com - Q&A with draft analyst Nawrocki

Note the last paragrph in the last question from yesterday's Q & A.

Thanks for the link and I'll have to pay more attention to this guy. He obviously has a keen football mind. :rofl:

Also of equal interest is his opinion that they'll be many first round busts from this year's class. Now watch BB use both first round picks for the first time in years.

Back to the point of Silatolu, I think there are other better centers who may offer better value taken after him.
The New England Patriots currently have FOUR centers under contract for the 2012 NFL Season:

Dan Koppen
Dan Connolly
Ryan Wendell
Nick McDonald

Why would the New England Patriots even consider wasting a valuable draft selection on a center in the 2012 NFL Draft?

The New England Patriots currently have FOUR centers under contract for the 2012 NFL Season:

Dan Koppen
Dan Connolly
Ryan Wendell
Nick McDonald

Why would the New England Patriots even consider wasting a valuable draft selection on a center in the 2012 NFL Draft?

I never even came close to saying that, so I can't comment. Also, in case you haden't noticed, Bill Belichick doesn't necessarily just care about the "2012 season" when it comes to drafting players in April. The pick would've been for the future, like many of his picks here have been over the years. If you're telling me that you would've been excited and happy about Dan Connelly as our "center of the future" you'd have to be lying. The pick was about the future.

The only thing I said about a center (besides Belichick looking at a 'safe' pick that may include OL--and that wasn't even in this thread) was that I thought there were better centers out there than Silotalu in the 2nd round who could be taken later and provide better value.

Also, Koppen wasn't signed until lunchtime today, so there were many people talking about a center/interior lineman possibility---it certainly wasn't "my idea." Talk of center + an additional interior lineman was a very popular subject.Unfortunately, I can't take the credit for that one.

I was commenting solely on Silotalu, and the prospects of there being better value with passing on him and taking a center later in the draft.

Notice how you didn't even point out the most important comment from my post that you quoted, which was : "Exactly the reasoning that I still have for resigning Koppen to a low (1-2) year deal. There are many attributes and traits that go into being a center here, and part of me still believes that he can do some things better than Connelly."

My wish for for Koppen to resign, NOT to draft a center, so it seems as though you missed the point.

Last edited:
Exactly the reasoning that I still have for resigning Koppen to a low (1-2) year deal. There are many attributes and traits that go into being a center here, and part of me still believes that he can do some things better than Connelly.

Apparently, Belichick (or too many others ;) ) haven't seemed to agree with my assessment up to this point.

HEEEYYYY-OOOOO

Wish, and it shall come true.

Maybe I'll try this again tonight with a different player.

My wish for for Koppen to resign, NOT to draft a center, so it seems as though you missed the point.
At worst, the New England Patriots could sign an undrafted collegiate free agent from the 2012 NFL Draft class and develop the player on the practice squad.

Furthermore, Nick McDonald may still have practice squad eligibility, that is if he clears waivers.

Furthermore, Nick McDonald may still have practice squad eligibility, that is if he clears waivers.

He won't clear waivers. He was good enough in his two starts to make sure of that.

HEEEYYYY-OOOOO

Wish, and it shall come true.

Maybe I'll try this again tonight with a different player.

The only guys worth re-signing now are Andre Carter, Nate Jones & Ihedigbo;
and the latter 2 could still be upgraded w/ other available UFAs.
I'm still waiting for Bill to sign another FS...

No way on Jones and Ihedigbo.

The only guys worth re-signing now are Andre Carter, Nate Jones & Ihedigbo;
and the latter 2 could still be upgraded w/ other available UFAs.
I'm still waiting for Bill to sign another FS...

W W W....

He's next ;)

Edit: wasn't supposed to open in a link. I suppose the triple W's confused the system.

Last edited:
Bobby Massie, Mississippi, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

04/06/2012 - There's an early common thread to what the Steelers may be thinking their greatest needs are this spring - offensive tackle. They've had just one unrestricted free agent visit them, offensive tackle Demetress Bell. He signed with Philadelphia this week to a reported five-year contract that could be a deal in which the Steelers would not have been competitive. Two of the half-dozen or so college prospects to visit them have been offensive linemen - Bobby Massie of Mississippi State and Mike Adams of Ohio State. It's no secret the Steelers desperately need tackles. Their two starters are Marcus Gilbert, who started as a rookie at right tackle last season but will move to the left side in 2012, and Willie Colon, who has played less than one game in the past two seasons because of separate injuries to his Achilles and triceps. Behind them? Veteran Jonathan Scott, who failed miserably when given a chance to start last season, and Chris Scott, a fifth-round draft choice in 2010 who has played two games in two years. That's it, unless you include first-year pro Trevis Turner, who signed a futures contract. - The Sports Xchange

If the Steelers take an offensive lineman in the first round, I'd be upset if the New England Patriots passed up Dont'a Hightower with the #27 overall draft pick.

No way on Jones and Ihedigbo.

They cert. wouldn't be my first choices at all, but the UFA choices are becoming smaller by the day.

I'd rather first bring the following to Foxborough for a workout/physical:
OJ Otogwe
Sean Jones
Melvin Bullitt
Corey Lynch
Matt Giordano
Paul Oliver

But as far as I know, that's the extent of the list of unsigned UFA Safeties whom I'd prefer
- if healthy - ahead of Jones & Diggy.

As long as Sergio Brown is still a member of the NEP, then Bill hasn't done nearly enough
to upgrade the Safety position.

They cert. wouldn't be my first choices at all, but the UFA choices are becoming smaller by the day.

I'd rather first bring the following to Foxborough for a workout/physical:
OJ Otogwe
Sean Jones
Melvin Bullitt
Corey Lynch
Matt Giordano
Paul Oliver

But as far as I know, that's the extent of the list of unsigned UFA Safeties whom I'd prefer
- if healthy - ahead of Jones & Diggy.

As long as Sergio Brown is still a member of the NEP, then Bill hasn't done nearly enough
to upgrade the Safety position.

I've always thought that S.Jones would possibly be worth a short term chance deal here. He obviously has had some good moments and has good potential still, but he's been sometimes labled with the 'lazy' term.

If Belichick would be able to get something out of him on a lower term, somewhat cheap deal, then he may be worth a look.

He is more of a SS though, so he'd probably be more of a backup to Chung--even though we don't use those terms here.

It's tough when there are many available decent prospect left, but anyone has to be an improvement over Brown. The problem is that BB will likely keep Brown just for his ST play alone.

Bill should've been all over Sean Jones during the '09 off-season, when he was a UFA
who had played under the just-fired Romeo in Cleveland from '05-'08.
He could've started immed. at SS while the rookie Chung learned the ropes. Instead,
his potential place on the 53 was occupied by the excreble Bret Lockett.

3 years later, he prob. doesn't offer the same starting value, but I'm sure he isn't seeking
starters' wages now, either. For the vet minimum+, he would provide better insurance
and competition at SS than Diggy is capable of providing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST