PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pick #27- you'll be very disappointed if Pats pass on whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Increasingly this draft is shaping up that players that we thought would be available won't at #27.

I mean if Denver takes Mark Barron S at #25 instead of DT Jerel Worthy I'll be very disappointed. But I think they will.

So, as Ochmed Jones has said, we may be faced with OT Jonathan Martin as the best player available. I wouldn't mind, but it's sure fans would be disappointed.

Here's a recent, reputable mock draft from a few days ago: 2010 NFL DRAFT

Legitimately we might have the top players consisting of the following at the end of the draft: Martin, Gilmore, Konz, Fleener, Reyes, Adams. The only guy I can get excited about is Reyes coming from New England.

I think we either trade down, but for good value, or we reach for a player at a position of need that's early second round caliber. Or do we do what is common wisdom and take the best player available?

After reading "War Room" it seems that the consensus is to take the 'safe' pick in the first round.

I'm not seeing too many 'safe' picks that will be left. The more I think about it, and the more it shapes up, I think the odds are that we trade down--possibly even both 27 and 31.

I don't think that BB would trade out of both, so I think he'll be forced to take a chance with someone like in 2006 and 2007 with Maroney and Meriweather.

I would agree that the only one I'd probably even really get 'excited' about is Reyes, and even that's a stretch. I'm wondering if Gilmore or Fleener wouldn't make more sense, as weird as it sounds.

Konz may actually be the 'safest' pick left at that point.

Last edited:
I would agree that the only one I'd probably even really get 'excited' about is Reyes, and even that's a stretch. I'm wondering if Gilmore or Fleener wouldn't make more sense, as weird as it sounds.

With all the problems in the New England Patriots defensive secondary, yet pass up on cornerback Stephon Gilmore?

I think Konz may fall well into the 40's. I like two centers better then Konz, I don't see him being picked here.

I think Konz may fall well into the 40's. I like two centers better then Konz, I don't see him being picked here.
If the New England Patriots were that desperate for a center, Bill Belichick would re-sign Dan Koppen to a one year contract.

If the New England Patriots were that desperate for a center, Bill Belichick would re-sign Dan Koppen to a one year contract.

We're talking about 'safe picks.'

Nothing else.

I agree that there are other players who potentially have more upside, one is certainly Gilmore.

You'd have to be partially lying if you think that re-signing Connelly defines the future of our center. No one is saying anything about desperation, as this year is likely fine.

Last edited:

One is likely the kid from Georgia, I would imagine.

I think that is definitely a better value pick too, I'm just talking about the Bill Belichick definition (with my own speculative spin) of a 'safe pick.'

I would certainly hope that Konz is NOT picked here, but with a good OL coach like Dante and the need for a future interior lineman, particularly at center, it is certainly a possibility.

Connelly would still likely start this year no matter what.

Last edited:
With all the problems in the New England Patriots defensive secondary, yet pass up on cornerback Stephon Gilmore?

The problems were mainly at safety, not at CB--where our #33rd pick overall didn't even get a chance to play. The debate can certainly be made that our CB's are set, unless you expect a pick to be taken to allow one of them like Moore or Allen to move to safety.

The team has taken the 27th and 33rd pick overall in two of the last three drafts at CB. One of them has not even really had the chance to play, but they must've been somewhat high on him to have him start on day one last year.

Couple those 2 CB's with Moore, who looked okay down the stretch when he played, Arrington--who led the NFL in picks at best excels in the slot (where he'll be moving full time this year), and Allen who is a vet, and you have some good competition at CB.

That's not even taking into account Cole and M.Williams either.

If a CB is taken, then one of our current cornerbacks will definitely be moving to safety. It's certainly a possibility. It's also a possibility that we're both right, since they have TWO picks in round one. They may go the 'safe' route, and also take somewhat of a gamble on a player like Reyes or Gilmore.

Last edited:
The problems were mainly at safety, not at CB--where our #33rd pick overall didn't even get a chance to play. The debate can certainly be made that our CB's are set, unless you expect a pick to be taken to allow one of them like Moore or Allen to move to safety.

The team has taken the 27th and 33rd pick overall in two of the last three drafts at CB. One of them has not even really had the chance to play, but they must've been somewhat high on him to have him start on day one last year.

Couple those 2 CB's with Moore, who looked okay down the stretch when he played, Arrington--who led the NFL in picks at best excels in the slot (where he'll be moving full time this year), and Allen who is a vet, and you have some good competition at CB.

That's not even taking into account Cole and M.Williams either.

If a CB is taken, then one of our current cornerbacks will definitely be moving to safety. It's certainly a possibility. It's also a possibility that we're both right, since they have TWO picks in the round one. They may go the 'safe' route, and also take somewhat of a gamble on a player like Reyes or Gilmore.
Devin McCourty was horrendous at cornerback during the 2011 NFL Season and to blame his performance on the safeties is completely disingenuous.

After reading "War Room" it seems that the consensus is to take the 'safe' pick in the first round.

I'm not seeing too many 'safe' picks that will be left. The more I think about it, and the more it shapes up, I think the odds are that we trade down--possibly even both 27 and 31.

I don't think that BB would trade out of both, so I think he'll be forced to take a chance with someone like in 2006 and 2007 with Maroney and Meriweather.

Konz is an injury waiting to happen. I'd much rather grab Silatolu in the 2nd, who has all the characteristics you'd want in an elite Center prospect, if he'd played Center in college he'd probably be a top 15 pick. Since he needs some time on the grill he'll actually be attainable, give him some time under Dante and he'll anchor the interior O-line for the next decade.

I could easily see the Patriots taking Konz there at 27 or 31. Not what I would do personally but it does make sense with Light, Mankins and Waters uncertainty lingering. How many really good centers have come out of college in the last 10 years? Mangold,Pouncey and Mack? This is a pretty good opportunity to get a really good center prospect and you don't really know when another will come up. Anyone comparing Konz to Jones has been watching too much combine footage. Dante could make Jones a good center. He could make Konz all world. I could see Ridley and Vereen gashing up the middle behind this guy for years.

I'll defer to BB on this one. I'd rather see defensive help with the first two picks but if he values this kid to pick him in the first then I'm on board.

I'll defer to BB on this one. I'd rather see defensive help with the first two picks but if he values this kid to pick him in the first then I'm on board.
If Bill Belichick selects Konz in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft in lieu of a defensive player, then the New England Patriots organization is not serious about upgrading the defense.

Last edited:
I could easily see the Patriots taking Konz there at 27 or 31. Not what I would do personally but it does make sense with Light, Mankins and Waters uncertainty lingering. How many really good centers have come out of college in the last 10 years? Mangold,Pouncey and Mack? This is a pretty good opportunity to get a really good center prospect and you don't really know when another will come up. Anyone comparing Konz to Jones has been watching too much combine footage. Dante could make Jones a good center. He could make Konz all world. I could see Ridley and Vereen gashing up the middle behind this guy for years.

I'd rather take Phillip Blake a couple rounds later. I think that's the safest route.

My one player would be Hightower. To me he seems that he would be the perfect fit for the Patriots. Can play ILB/OLB and even DE in the 4-3.

I don't care how we scheme to fit him into the rotation. Just draft the guy. I don't watch too much college football but whenever I do, I hear his name being called often. Having too many playmakers on either side of the ball is never a problem. It's a luxury.

After Hightower, we can then begin shoring up the other safety spot, the Dline and DB depth.

If Bill Belichick selects Konz in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft in lieu of a defensive player, then the New England Patriots organization is not serious about upgrading the defense.

Or the player whom they wanted wasn't there anymore, and they thought they could get better value in the nx round or tier of players.

Devin McCourty was horrendous at cornerback during the 2011 NFL Season and to blame his performance on the safeties is completely disingenuous.

While I can certainly agree that McCourty played poorly in the first 1/2 of the season, many would disagree that the lack of safety help wasn't a huge factor. It's been discussed at length many times over.

First the scheme changed to mainly man coverage, then McCourty got hurt, then the safeties were James Ihedigbo and whomever...

To say that the safeties didn't have a huge hand in McCourty's struggles is what is truly disingenuous.

Last time I checked, the 2 positons kind of went hand in hand.

The odds of him playing as a potential DROY one yr, and then as poorly as he did at times last yr is pretty low without other variables.

Last edited:
Or the player whom they wanted wasn't there anymore, and they thought they could get better value in the nx round or tier of players.
I would find it hard to believe that Bill Belichick does not have a list of five to ten players to choose from in the first round.

While I can certainly agree that McCourty played poorly in the first 1/2 of the season, many would disagree that the lack of safety help wasn't a huge factor. It's been discussed at length many times over.
We will see which Devin McCourty shows up during the 2012 NFL Season, since I seriously don't have a clue.

Increasingly this draft is shaping up that players that we thought would be available won't at #27.

I mean if Denver takes Mark Barron S at #25 instead of DT Jerel Worthy I'll be very disappointed. But I think they will.

So, as Ochmed Jones has said, we may be faced with OT Jonathan Martin as the best player available. I wouldn't mind, but it's sure fans would be disappointed.

Here's a recent, reputable mock draft from a few days ago: 2010 NFL DRAFT

Legitimately we might have the top players consisting of the following at the end of the draft: Martin, Gilmore, Konz, Fleener, Reyes, Adams. The only guy I can get excited about is Reyes coming from New England.

I think we either trade down, but for good value, or we reach for a player at a position of need that's early second round caliber. Or do we do what is common wisdom and take the best player available?

I think rather than reach for a guy if things happen as you say, BB will look at the state of the board, wgo's picking and whom they're likely to pick and trade up for someone who represents the right value. Hightower or Kirkpatrick spring to mind.

I would find it hard to believe that Bill Belichick does not have a list of five to ten players to choose from in the first round.

I'd recommend reading "War Room," it's all about Belichick and the drafting strategies. It's a good read, and the latest Michael Holley book. It tells a lot of good stuff about the process.

We've seen him trade down 2-3 times before, we've seen him trade out of the first round altogether.

If a certain player or positional strength isn't there with a guy that he and his drafting team deems a good pick (not what the 'experts' say), then he simply moves on and goes for value.

There's a possibility that he trades down from either 27 or 31, and there's the possibility that he likes one of the guys left. I think the lack of a trading partner was the key to the Dowling pick last yr, and he has basically admitted that.

It was talked about at length though, that he normally sees the 1st rounders as the 'safest' players who are left on the board. Who those players may be is the question.

The past couple/few yrs we have NOT taken a player at a position of need, so the argument/debate can certainly be made that he may continue to take the BPA overall.

Personally, I think he has no choice but to take a bit of a chance with some kind of defensive pick, so actually I am in agreement with you.

Whether or not he sees value in a guy like Gilmore with a plethora of guys already at CB who are young and cheap, I don't know.

As far as the front 7 picks--I think again...he has no choice, but his past history says that he is extremely picky with those. We saw him pass up multiple guys plenty of times before in deeper drafts. Like I said, I think one of the 1st rounders is surely going to be defensive. We will see.

Last edited:
The past couple/few yrs we have NOT taken a player at a position of need, so the argument/debate can certainly be made that he may continue to take the BPA overall.

Personally, I think he has no choice but to take a bit of a chance with some kind of defensive pick, so actually I am in agreement with you.

Whether or not he sees value in a guy like Gilmore with a plethora of guys already at CB who are young and cheap, I don't know.

As far as the front 7 picks--I think again...he has no choice, but his past history says that he is extremely picky with those. We saw him pass up multiple guys plenty of times before in deeper drafts. Like I said, I think one of the 1st rounders is surely going to be defensive. We will see.
The basis of my argument stems from the New England Patriots offense during the past two seasons:

2011 NFL Season: 3rd points scored
2010 NFL Season: 1st points scored

The New England Patriots are the only AFC team that scored over 500 points in the last two consecutive seasons.

During the 2012 unrestricted free agent period, the New England Patriots have added the following offensive players:

Brandon Lloyd
Donte Stallworth
Anthony Gonzalez
Daniel Fells
Robert Gallery
Tony Fiammetta

In addition, six of the first seven draft selections in the 2011 NFL draft were offensive players. Selecting any additional offensive players in the 2012 NFL Draft, especially in the first two rounds, will not incrementally improve the New England Patriots offense during the 2012 NFL Season. Any rookie wide receiver will most likely rot on the bench for the entire 2012 NFL Season, as evident by wide receiver Taylor Price during his short stint with the New England Patriots.

With regard to the defense, the following defensive players have either flashed potential during the 2012 NFL Season or are bona fide starters:

Vince Wilfork
Kyle Love
Brandon Deaderick
Jonathan Fanene
Rob Ninkovich
Jerod Mayo
Brandon Spikes
Dane Fletcher
Patrick Chung
Devin McCourty
Ras-I Dowling
Kyle Arrington
Sterling Moore

The rest of the defensive players have serious question marks either returning from injury, unfamiliarity with the defensive system, declining performance due to age (Will Allen), and overall talent level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News