PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jayden Daniels - "intent" on playing for Patriots?

Sure, we need a good QB. Well, we have a much better one than in 2023, and we will draft a better one for late 2023 and 2024. In addition to Brissette, we already have at least 10 improvements from the end of the year roster. We'll get more in the draft, at least a second QB and a LT.

Last year, we played the end of the season with
QB Zappe
LT Love
RB: Smith, Harris
OG Mafi
WR Parker
TE Gisicki, Pharoh Brown

We have already improved at almost all positions at Offense, compared to the last part of 2023.
QB: Brissette (add)
LT: Okorafor (add)
LG: Strange (back from IR)
OG: Leverett (add)
WR: Osborne (add
WR: Bourne (back from IR)
TE: Henry (back from IR)
TE: Hooper (add)
RB: Stevenson (back from IR)
RB: Gibson (add)
LT:'s back from IR (probably no help): Anderson, McDermott, Wheatley
Hey, Hey, Hey! Enough with the positive energy! No room for that here! :)

Sure, we need a good QB. Well, we have a much better one than in 2023, and we will draft a better one for late 2023 and 2024. In addition to Brissette, we already have at least 10 improvements from the end of the year roster. We'll get more in the draft, at least a second QB and a LT.

Last year, we played the end of the season with
QB Zappe
LT Love
RB: Smith, Harris
OG Mafi
WR Parker
TE Gisicki, Pharoh Brown

We have already improved at almost all positions at Offense, compared to the last part of 2023.
QB: Brissette (add)
LT: Okorafor (add)
LG: Strange (back from IR)
OG: Leverett (add)
WR: Osborne (add
WR: Bourne (back from IR)
TE: Henry (back from IR)
TE: Hooper (add)
RB: Stevenson (back from IR)
RB: Gibson (add)
LT:'s back from IR (probably no help): Anderson, McDermott, Wheatley
People drastically underestimate how bad the injury situation was on offense in the back half of last year.

Yes things sucked early - with Mac Jones. A couple guys got hurt under his starting tenure. Once they switched to Zappe, things actually did start to appear almost borderline competent, and then everyone began dropping like flies. Bringing so many guys back from IR, adding a couple pieces, and having a better overall QB in Brissett at the helm should do quite a bit. And that is before considering whoever is drafted at QB/WR/T etc.

Argument can be made that we're better than Houston was 2 years ago.

What changed for them? Stroud, Tank Dell, Christian Harris came on, Will Anderson, Nico Collins had a real QB, improvement from Kenyon Green.
While such a cheery turn of events is possible, it is ertainly not likely enough that its occurring should be a baseline assumption as we co template what sort of roster mix we ought to aim for.. I also think Houston was better off than we are, certainly on offense, when they began their upward arc. All in all, planning on a rebuild time frame shorter than two years seems to me entirely unwarranted.

While such a cheery turn of events is possible, it is ertainly not likely enough that its occurring should be a baseline assumption as we co template what sort of roster mix we ought to aim for.. I also think Houston was better off than we are, certainly on offense, when they began their upward arc. All in all, planning on a rebuild time frame shorter than two years seems to me entirely unwarranted.
But... they weren't. Their OL was worse than ours. They didn't have a tight end like Henry. They had only Nico Collins at WR.

They really weren't better off.

And their defense certainly wasn't better.

They got a QB, a nice rookie WR in Tank Dell (who may be no better than Demario Douglas, actually), and they brought along their young rookie OLs. They also signed a FA TE in Schultz, but Schultz hit the FA window again this year.

Jayden Daniels’ agent being openly critical of Commanders on Twitter… something is amiss here, starting to believe this rumor:

He also liked this tweet:

Daniels is also now meeting with the Vikings after originally declining to meet with them.

Hmm…

Daniels is also now meeting with the Vikings after originally declining to meet with them.

Hmm…
Why is it surprising that he's meeting with the Vikings?

The Vikings will be trading up, and the open question is where Daniels is drafted. 2 and 3 could easily be McCarthy and Maye, in which case AZ will be on the phone (and LAC).

Jayden Daniels’ agent being openly critical of Commanders on Twitter… something is amiss here, starting to believe this rumor:

He also liked this tweet:

The Washington Generals are NOT a well run football organization. Regardless of this they hold the #2 pick.

I seriously doubt Daniels is willing to sit out a year and turn down the chance to play in the NFL and the millions of guaranteed dollars that go with that regardless of his personal opinion of them.

The Washington Generals are NOT a well run football organization. Regardless of this they hold the #2 pick.

I seriously doubt Daniels is willing to sit out a year and turn down the chance to play in the NFL and the millions of guaranteed dollars that go with that regardless of his personal opinion of them.
I agree. However, if Daniels whines enough, perhaps WAS will pick someone else. After all, WAS has good choices available and may choose not to pick someone who doesn't want to be there.

The Commodes are taking Maye ... then all hell breaks loose.

App Deploy GIF

It is GREAT news if Daniels agent is really against Washington. This means he could fall to the Patriots. He is the only guy I would consider at 2. If Daniels is not there, then trade back.....then again if Washing was smart, (and they are not I suspect) that would trade out of 2 if Daniels is really not going to play for them.

Washington Generals? Ha, very funny and appropriate, at least in the Synder era. Not sure if the new owners are idiots. Right now the reigning idiot owner is David Alan Tepper (Panthers), followed by, maybe Davis/Raiders, then who knows. Bob Kraft is currently not looking so great, but I am willing to give him a pass for now if he keeps his paws off the draft.

But... they weren't. Their OL was worse than ours. They didn't have a tight end like Henry. They had only Nico Collins at WR.

They really weren't better off.

And their defense certainly wasn't better.

They got a QB, a nice rookie WR in Tank Dell (who may be no better than Demario Douglas, actually), and they brought along their young rookie OLs. They also signed a FA TE in Schultz, but Schultz hit the FA window again this year.
Well, I'll hope you are right, but I think you are wrong. Because Tom made just about any sort of roster work (just about: toward the end Belichick gave him only irredeemable trash to work with), we have gotten in the habit, I think, of assuming our rosters are better than they actually are. I think we need to recalibrate our evaluations in the post-Brady era. He made everybody better, in other words, which skewed our evaluative calculus. Any grade higher than "Dismal" for this offense is grade inflation of the "feel good about yourselves" sort all too common in our degraded "educational" system.

Well, I'll hope you are right, but I think you are wrong. Because Tom made just about any sort of roster work (just about: toward the end Belichick gave him only irredeemable trash to work with), we have gotten in the habit, I think, of assuming our rosters are better than they actually are. I think we need to recalibrate our evaluations in the post-Brady era. He made everybody better, in other words, which skewed our evaluative calculus. Any grade higher than "Dismal" for this offense is grade inflation of the "feel good about yourselves" sort all too common in our degraded "educational" system.
I didn't say our roster was great.

I was comparing it to Houston's

I think we are at the point in the draft where it’s pure insanity. Rumors and craziness abound.

Early in the process, though I always wanted Maye, and thought he would be such a great pickup for the Pats. But I had readied myself for the Commanders to take Maye, and for us to wind up with Daniels. Then up until recently everybody seemed to feel the Commanders are all in on Daniels. Now there are question marks again.

I’ve seen so many people hating on all 3 Patriot’s QB possibilities, “Maye has bust written all over him”, “Daniels sucks, he’s gonna bust”, “JJ isn’t a good QB, he’s gonna be Zach Wilson all over again”.

I’ve seen these exact quotes, and variations of them the last few days. My hope is the Pats stay put and take Maye (my preference) or Daniels, I’d be thrilled with either. But the way people are talking about these QBs, apparently none of them are good, and we might as well trade down (which I think is a stupid move).

I think we are at the point in the draft where it’s pure insanity. Rumors and craziness abound.

Early in the process, though I always wanted Maye, and thought he would be such a great pickup for the Pats. But I had readied myself for the Commanders to take Maye, and for us to wind up with Daniels. Then up until recently everybody seemed to feel the Commanders are all in on Daniels. Now there are question marks again.

I’ve seen so many people hating on all 3 Patriot’s QB possibilities, “Maye has bust written all over him”, “Daniels sucks, he’s gonna bust”, “JJ isn’t a good QB, he’s gonna be Zach Wilson all over again”.

I’ve seen these exact quotes, and variations of them the last few days. My hope is the Pats stay put and take Maye (my preference) or Daniels, I’d be thrilled with either. But the way people are talking about these QBs, apparently none of them are good, and we might as well trade down (which I think is a stupid move).
The moral of the story is that all 3 QBs are bad, and trading down is also bad, so no matter what the Pats do, it was the wrong move. Makes sense now right?

The moral of the story is that all 3 QBs are bad, and trading down is also bad, so no matter what the Pats do, it was the wrong move. Makes sense now right?
The Kevin O'Connell quote today about finding a "complicit" partner should be a red flag for everyone.

He flat out said that what he sees in Maye is maybe what all other teams are seeing, but you only need one team to make the deal (be complicit).

In other words, you only have to fleece one team.

The Kevin O'Connell quote today about finding a "complicit" partner should be a red flag for everyone.

He flat out said that what he sees in Maye is maybe what all other teams are seeing, but you only need one team to make the deal (be complicit).

In other words, you only have to fleece one team.

So, what happens when you find that quarterback that checks those boxes?

“Then you gotta hope that 31 other teams are complicit in making sure that they can become a Minnesota Viking,” O’Connell said. “But we only need one team to be complicit, and hopefully we can find that team.”

That prompted the church-goer to blurt out the New England Patriots, who recently said “they’re open for business” when it comes to trading the No. 3 overall selection in this year’s draft. The Vikings appear to be their most likely trading partner.

“I may or may not have sent a nice bouquet of flowers to Robert Kraft the other day,” O’Connell said.

Ah. The Michael Felger Approach(tm)!!

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back