PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, I am guessing when the safeties return to health, McCourty and Talib will start outside (with McCourty playing some inside on some circumstances). Dennard will be the nickle. Arrington will be benched.

The most telling thing I picked up from this move is that Talib is (strictly) a press corner. Hightower is healthy. Self scouting coming off of the bye, safeties need deep ball relief...looks like they're lining up the pieces to bring it defensively.

Not a lot to learn about playing this defense if you're used strictly as a press corner

So the starting secondary going forward should look something like this...

CB: Talib, Dennard, Cole
S: McCourty, Gregory

I like it a lot better than what we've been seeing.

You made one typo :D

Fit this secondary. Awful player and bust.

Hope he pans out.

Good player. Horrible person. Hopefully, he doesn't turn into another Haynesworth. Never thrilled when the Pats add turds, but I will be cautiously optimistic. He is a big CB who has skills that can make him elite.

Six pages of giving the guy a pass. Thanks for pointing out the guy's been a real problem. I hope he works out, but wouldn't be surprised if he's really good and gets cut for off the field issues.

I would go as high as a second because even if he walks at the end of the year, you will get a comp pick back for him. You alos have to take into account what players like Vince and Mayo will do for his attitude. They (Vince and Mayo) are the clear leaders of that defense and I'm sure the Aquib will find himslef very quickly sitting down with one or more likely both of them.

Obviously something had to be done about the secondary, plus you now have a guy playing for a contract, I expect no trouble out of him, and maybe someone who can actually defend a pass!!!

Me likey

besides the aderal, what did he do?

2008 - Got in a fist fight with fellow Buc Cory Boyd
2009 - Charged with battering a Taxi Cab driver
2011 - Charged with assault with a deadly weapon on his sister's boyfriend

All charges were dropped in these incidents, but he is still a turd off the field.

Six pages of giving the guy a pass. Thanks for pointing out the guy's been a real problem. I hope he works out, but wouldn't be surprised if he's really good and gets cut for off the field issues.

People have been pointing out his well known issues from the beginning, so I don't know where you're coming from with the "giving the guy a pass" assertion.

besides the aderal, what did he do?
Fought with a teammate at the rookie symposium. Arrested for battery on a cab driver. Shot at his sister's boyfriend though charges were dropped due to insufficient evidence.

2nd round? You kidding? Guy barely made the 53 men roster.

Not a lot to learn about playing this defense if you're used strictly as a press corner

Yep, and before Schiano arrived he lived in cover-2. The Pats are in a two high safety look more than most. Tough cat. I like his game.

Last edited:
I like option 1, whatta bout you Deus?

I'd have to take a look at the tape from last week. If Dennard was consistently competitive, I'd want to keep him on a corner.

Ok, found something:

NFL Trade Deadline Passes as Buccaneers Trade Aqib Talib to New England Patriots - Stripe Hype

and

Tampa Bay Buccaneers trade Aqib Talib to New England Patriots - Bucs Nation

sounds like the pats likely had to give up a #1 for this deal. but IMO would have to be a conditional #1.

At 6-1, 205 and only 26 - at least maybe we finally would have some height at cb. Anybody know did he usually play LCB or RCB or is he flexible? Could this be the indication that McC is now permanently a S?

There's no way that the Pats gave up a #1 pick for Talib. He's in the last year of his contract, has major character concerns, is serving a suspension, and the Bucs were going to let him walk after this season anyway. A 3rd rounder would be too much.

Last edited:
You made one typo :D

Cole is supposedly injured. I'm assuming a starting line-up right out of the gates. But I do agree. Cole is better than Arrington.

The trade details: CB Aqib Talib and a 2013 7th-round pick for a 2013 4th-round pick.

Assuming (dangerously) Talib can make a successful transition, this should really strengthen the secondary. This is the kind of corner (6'1, physical) that should be able to put an end to those rainbow passes on the outside, or at least limit them to one side of the field.

Anyone else see this as predominantly a move to replace Dowling now that he's on IR? Physically, Dowling is the only CB we have who Talib bears even a passing resemblance to. His style of play isn't anything like that of anyone else on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft