PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trading Richard Seymour to the Raiders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An outsiders perspective:

Former scout Daniel Jeramiah just tweeted: So, the Raiders pay a steep price (1st RD pick) for a player past his prime (Seymour).... not so shocking.

Looking down the road...the chances that the Patriots retain both Wilfork and Mankins next year just skyrocketed.

That's the weird thing -- this trade seems backwards. Usually it's the championship-caliber team trading away a bit of its future to pick up a short-term impact player from a team going nowhere. This is precisely the reverse. :confused:
Maybe Belcichick agrees with me that it's not the defense that's the key to the season but the OL as no-one can outscore us if we protect Brady. So get younger and faster on D and have a long talk with the OL.

Anyone know what happened with Peppers in Carolina? Is it possible BB is clearing out Big Sey to make room for Peppers? Just askin'.

Peppers is locked into playing for his one year franchise tag offer which means the Pats would have to free up a hell of a lot more money to trade for him. I am almost positive he can't get a new deal if traded. I know for a fact, the Panthers cannot give him a new deal and I think that restriction is passed to any team they would trade him to.

I'm absolutely speechless.

Gutted, excited and worried all at the same time.

Hopefully, the Pats will make Vince Wilfork's contract a high priority!

Anyone know what happened with Peppers in Carolina? Is it possible BB is clearing out Big Sey to make room for Peppers? Just askin'.

Peppers signed his tender in Carolina and is playing on the tag price this year

Wow!! Am shocked and chagrined!!! In a way it really makes sense as Seymour had only this year left before he departed...BUT waiting 2 years for a pick? No other players involved? That is a bit odd...and to think many saw this roster as NOT changing..many more moves to go..I think.

There has to be more coming then this...

Maybe Peppers is coming after all :rolleyes:

How can the current CBA, which ends prior to the 2011 draft, mandate the 2011 draft????

That being said, I am sitting here saying to myself WTF...

Next we're gonna hear that Brady was traded....

Quoting the CBA:

There shall be an Annual Selection Meeting (the "College Draft" or "Draft") each League Year during the term of this Agreement and in the League Year immediately following the expiration or termination of this Agreement, with respect to which the following rules shall apply.

The CBA expires after the first uncapped year (2010), so that mandates a draft in 2011.

there has to be another shoe to drop in all this like the Varble to KC trade when it happened (another shoe dropped even of we didn't like it). there is something else coming trust me we have an open roster spot now

Seymour had one year left on his deal, I'm happy with the first rounder.

Yeah, but it'll probably not be used given BB's newfound aversion to drafting in the first round. I wish we would've gotten a front-line player who could help us NOW.

I absolutely love this trade. I would of preferred having their 2010 pick which will almost certainly be a top-10, but to get a first round pick for a player in the last year of his contract who you are going to lose anyway is a no-brainer. Losing him this year will hurt, but the long term value is much higher (assuming the NFL will stay healthy). It's one of those trades that the Raiders probably called the Pats and told them they had to have Seymour, so give me an offer.

Seymours cap hit was 9.7 million, so this does free up alot of money. Granted some of it will be used to sign Vince and Logan, but I would have to think that this move is the precursor to another move, that they needed cap space for. Also, I think it speaks to the level of play and confidence they have in Pryor, and Brace, and their roll going forward.

I know I will probably get blasted for this, but I am just wondering. Is there any chance they have something more in mind and might try to take that pick and another and swap it for someone--maybe Peppers haha. Not saying it would be him, but an example

Well it will be interesting to see what Seymour can do in a defense where he isn't asked to tie up two blockers. My guess is with his quicks he will have a great end to his career stat wise 12+sacks a year and lots more tackles.

He just wasn't worth his $$. If he was, couldn't we have tagged and traded him? All these moves just show that we all know less than we think we do. I actually think the Raiders pick in 2011 wouldn't be a top 10 pick

no matter what it is there is another shoe hanging

This has a few permutations.....

A change in defensive strategy to the 4-3? Warren-Wilfork-Brace-Burgess - that's a fair old line. Would make sense with the way we're dispensing LB's as well.

Could we be bringing in someone else?

It means we get the cap space to re-sign Vince and Logan - fantastic news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back