Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When does Penix get drafted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Listening to a selection of the opinions on this one is getting weird. You now almost have some Falcons homers suggesting Cousins is injury prone and will barely play so smart move to reach for a legit backup/starter. However, as others have said, if Kirk is really such an injury risk why pay him a fortune to be your franchise leader? So now you have Cousin's pissed, Penix stuck where he might not play for 4 years and a Front Office who still can't get out of their own way.

I can't wrap my head around this. The goal is to win or at least make it to the Super Bowl. There are a lot of really good and improving teams in the way of that. We all know that the window to do this is extremely narrow most of the time. This isn't some perennial 14-2 team that stumbled into an early pick. They need help on defense if they want to contend.

If you're so worried about Cousins that you have to spend your #8 to protect the position, why would you sign him to a ridiculous deal?

Imagine if the Pats were in the thick of it and they spent their top 10 pick on a backup QB for Brady. We would all be losing our minds.

I can't wrap my head around this. The goal is to win or at least make it to the Super Bowl. There are a lot of really good and improving teams in the way of that. We all know that the window to do this is extremely narrow most of the time. This isn't some perennial 14-2 team that stumbled into an early pick. They need help on defense if they want to contend.

If you're so worried about Cousins that you have to spend your #8 to protect the position, why would you sign him to a ridiculous deal?

Imagine if the Pats were in the thick of it and they spent their top 10 pick on a backup QB for Brady. We would all be losing our minds.
I mean, they took Garoppolo in the 2nd, and we all golf-clapped and said 'Makes sense'. Agreed, it's not the same as taking him at 8, but if he was going to be long gone by their next pick, it's a huge drop off to Travis and Rattler.

I would have done something else, but I can't say I hate it, especially since they addressed defense the rest of the way. They did pass on some really good line talent though.

I mean, they took Garoppolo in the 2nd, and we all golf-clapped and said 'Makes sense'. Agreed, it's not the same as taking him at 8, but if he was going to be long gone by their next pick, it's a huge drop off to Travis and Rattler.

I would have done something else, but I can't say I hate it, especially since they addressed defense the rest of the way. They did pass on some really good line talent though.
A lot of people thought Brady didn't have much left in the tank at the time. Had we just signed him to a 4 year deal for crazy money, I don't think anyone would have wanted to spend a 2nd rounder on Jimmy Gangster.

Agreed. And that's why they brought Brisset to come in and take the lumps this season. Next season, when the line and weapons are better, insert the new QB in and start building.
I still want them to sign DJ Humpries long term- IR him for the year so he does not take a roster spot and you got an above avg tackle at ages 31 to 33 when Maye needs him.

The pick will look great if Cousins gets hurt, Penix comes in and they have a top tier QB for the foreseeable future. Maybe win a SB or two.

Worst case scenario, and what I think will happen, is that Cousins will start every game. Will be his usual "Good enough" self to maybe get to the postseason for a few one and done. Or a first round win before losing. Then, you've wasted Penix's rookie contract.
no it won't, Pennix wont win them anything as a rookie and unless Cousins suffers a career ending injury and not just a season ending injury.

The pick will look great if Cousins gets hurt, Penix comes in and they have a top tier QB for the foreseeable future. Maybe win a SB or two.

Worst case scenario, and what I think will happen, is that Cousins will start every game. Will be his usual "Good enough" self to maybe get to the postseason for a few one and done. Or a first round win before losing. Then, you've wasted Penix's rookie contract.
It won't look great if they wasted 180M on Kirk Cousins.

All the scenarios are worst case scenarios. If Cousins starts every game you've wasted a top pick on a QB instead of a potentially immediate impact player who could be the difference maker in a SB run. If Cousins gets hurt you've wasted 180M on a guy who has never won anything and can't stay on the field.

It's all just opinions here, but I for the life of me cannot see a silver lining to these two decisions being made in tandem.

It's all just opinions here, but I for the life of me cannot see a silver lining to these two decisions being made in tandem.
I think that's the part that some people don't get. If they didn't sign Cousins, then the Penix pick is a damn decent one. Even people who think it was a reach to take Penix at 8 would still recognize that Atlanta drafted a great prospect at a position of need.

But with the Cousins signing, drafting a backup at #8 was idiotic. Yeah yeah, Cousins could get injured, but that is unknown and unknowable. You have to wonder what the plan is. Their management - not to mention ownership - looks completely inept.

Starting to get the impression this Fontenot dude doesn't know what he's doing. He had several head scratching picks, paid Darnell Mooney a ton of money. Not to mention they've been making strange picks like this the last few seasons.

I think that's the part that some people don't get. If they didn't sign Cousins, then the Penix pick is a damn decent one. Even people who think it was a reach to take Penix at 8 would still recognize that Atlanta drafted a great prospect at a position of need.

But with the Cousins signing, drafting a backup at #8 was idiotic. Yeah yeah, Cousins could get injured, but that is unknown and unknowable. You have to wonder what the plan is. Their management - not to mention ownership - looks completely inept.
Penix Jr plays very well with good talent around him that Washington Teams was Stacked and they show it. Atlanta is pretty Stacked! :cool:

I know, and I'm not that upset. I just find it ironic. Other than that, I also did like the idea of removing a spot in the top 10 for teams to jump ahead had New England opted to make a deal tonight with Minnesota. Atlanta is a team that didn't need a QB, so they're among teams that could be a potential target for one of the QB needy teams, depending on how it plays out.
I wouldn’t mind if the NFL didn’t play favorites and was consistent with their penalties against teams for violations.

After Spygate, one of the parties involved, Josh McDaniels went on to coach the Broncos.

When the Broncos were caught taping the 49ers pregame walkthrough, you would have expected a severe penalty to the Broncos since McDaniels a repeat offender.

The penalty was only a $300,000 fine.

No one cares about crippling a 5-11 team, but when it is a team that is curb stomping the rest of the league and no one can beat them, them make up offenses like Deflategate, and try to bring them back to the pack.

Reactions: Ian
Same team that wouldn’t hire BB. Move along.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back