Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

When does Penix get drafted?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why would you want Penix? My thought he would go to the raiders. Penix to me is a pick that would get the team better next year, but where is the upside in him. He has played 6 years and had a premium set of receivers in college. Maye and McCarthry offer upside, and Maye has the upside of a top 10 qb. People ragging on Maye is something I cant understand. His Oline sucks, His WR sucks, especially when Walker was out 4 games. when a team needs a qb and one with potential is there you take him.
And a premium OL that averaged ~8 sacks a year. The 8th/9th best NFL OLs routinely give up 30+ sacks a year. So we can't even say for sure that he's left the injury bug behind him.

Lol, of course they won’t. Shocking. :rolleyes:
Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that the NFL has decided to dock the Falcons a first-round pick.

Imagine if they announced, this morning, that the Falcons would lose their 2024 first. It would be sheer chaos, and not just for the Falcons.

Reactions: Ian
Best. Jersey. Ever.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that the NFL has decided to dock the Falcons a first-round pick.

Imagine if they announced, this morning, that the Falcons would lose their 2024 first. It would be sheer chaos, and not just for the Falcons.
They weren't scheduled to necessarily lose it. The speculation was that they would have been moved from 8 to 32. Definitely would have had an interesting effect in the top 10 selections since it would essentially remove a trade partner for anyone looking to move up, especially if a QB slid. I just think it's ridiculous that the league dragged their feet just because it's a guy/team they favor. Again, had it been New England, I can only imagine the outrage. ;)

Not that Harborough would do it.. but would you entertain if Herbert was offered for the 3rd?
In a vacuum I would rather have Herbert than the unknown. In the real world he is due 30 million dollars this season, and the contract continues to get more expensive. Herbert has always had great weapons around him, but last season when those weapons started to dwindle due to injury or ineffectiveness, things predictably fell apart. After the Detroit shootout things got pretty rough.

We all know this offense as constructed is pretty bad. The loss of the #3 pick with no other first rounders AND the huge chunk of cap taken up by Herbert will make it extremely difficult to build around him.

Like most, I want a generational quarterback, but I don't believe this team is ready to support that, and virtually anyone that comes in here right now to be under center is being set up to fail. Looking at the first round QBs who have become good or elite the last 5 years or so (Mahommes, Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Allen), every one of them was inserted into an offense that was already built to succeed, or added elite players in a very short time.

Last edited:
In a vacuum I would rather have Herbert than the unknown. In the real world he is due 30 million dollars this season, and the contract continues to get more expensive. Herbert has always had great weapons around him, but last season when those weapons started to dwindle due to injury or ineffectiveness, things predictably fell apart. After the Detroit shootout things got pretty rough.

We all know this offense as constructed is pretty bad. The loss of the #3 pick with no other first rounders AND the huge chunk of cap taken up by Herbert will make it extremely difficult to build around him.

Like most, I want a generational quarterback, but I don't believe this team is ready to support that, and virtually anyone that comes in here right now to be under center is being set up to fail.
Agreed. And that's why they brought Brisset to come in and take the lumps this season. Next season, when the line and weapons are better, insert the new QB in and start building.

They weren't scheduled to necessarily lose it. The speculation was that they would have been moved from 8 to 32. Definitely would have had an interesting effect in the top 10 selections since it would essentially remove a trade partner for anyone looking to move up, especially if a QB slid. I just think it's ridiculous that the league dragged their feet just because it's a guy/team they favor. Again, had it been New England, I can only imagine the outrage. ;)
I know you're right, but I kind of think tampering is a stupid offense, no matter who does it. Every team is talking to agents about "hypothetical" clients under contract to other clubs. It's how the NFL does business. And it's not like the Vikings didn't have forever to come to a deal with Cousins. It was the same when the Jets made a deal with Revis while he was here.

• Agree
Agreed. And that's why they brought Brisset to come in and take the lumps this season. Next season, when the line and weapons are better, insert the new QB in and start building.
Which begs the question of if they actually should draft a guy to sit right now or continue to wait. I personally only want them to draft a QB at #3 if he is unquestionably their first choice. Otherwise take the best offensive player available.

Like most, I want a generational quarterback, but I don't believe this team is ready to support that, and virtually anyone that comes in here right now to be under center is being set up to fail. Looking at the first round QBs who have become good or elite the last 5 years or so (Mahommes, Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Allen), every one of them was inserted into an offense that was already built to succeed, or added elite players in a very short time.
Good post! I've mentioned in a past post sometime late last season about Herbert.

I'd absolutely love to have him.. I believe he's been in a situation where coaching in likely has been the issue.

Your absolutely correct on all your assessments of the the qbs. I'll say this...once we can get a bona-fide #1 in this offense everyone else can be slotted in thier position as 3s and 4s..

Due to the presence of say a AJ brown or Tee Higgins now those guys have advantages in thier match ups with other teams 3rd and 3th DBs.

I know you're right, but I kind of think tampering is a stupid offense, no matter who does it. Every team is talking to agents about "hypothetical" clients under contract to other clubs. It's how the NFL does business. And it's not like the Vikings didn't have forever to come to a deal with Cousins. It was the same when the Jets made a deal with Revis while he was here.
I know, and I'm not that upset. I just find it ironic. Other than that, I also did like the idea of removing a spot in the top 10 for teams to jump ahead had New England opted to make a deal tonight with Minnesota. Atlanta is a team that didn't need a QB, so they're among teams that could be a potential target for one of the QB needy teams, depending on how it plays out.

I know, and I'm not that upset. I just find it ironic. Other than that, I also did like the idea of removing a spot in the top 10 for teams to jump ahead had New England opted to make a deal tonight with Minnesota. Atlanta is a team that didn't need a QB, so they're among teams that could be a potential target for one of the QB needy teams, depending on how it plays out.
Yeah, but it would also potentially lower the cost to the Vikings for them to move up (according to the charts)?

Yeah, if the top four QBs go in the top 5 picks, I think the Pats would be sweating waiting until 10 or 11.
we could trade back one of our new picks and trade up. I suspect that moving down would mean that we were fine with Penix or Nix, We would only panic if one were picked before 10.

we could trade back one of our new picks and trade up. I suspect that moving down would mean that we were fine with Penix or Nix, We would only panic if one were picked before 10.
Yeah, it becomes a lot cheaper to move up from 11 to 10 or so than from 11 to 3.

Good post! I've mentioned in a past post sometime late last season about Herbert.

I'd absolutely love to have him.. I believe he's been in a situation where coaching in likely has been the issue.

Your absolutely correct on all your assessments of the the qbs. I'll say this...once we can get a bona-fide #1 in this offense everyone else can be slotted in thier position as 3s and 4s..

Due to the presence of say a AJ brown or Tee Higgins now those guys have advantages in thier match ups with other teams 3rd and 3th DBs.
While I agree with the premise, I find it hard to imagine any true #1 will sign here as a FA right now. They're going to have to hope they hit on that in the draft.

Agr
While I agree with the premise, I find it hard to imagine any true #1 will sign here as a FA right now. They're going to have to hope they hit on that in the draft.
Agreed, but what is starting to resonate through the league with the players is about mayo, and how he treats his players, and how he values them as men. The buy-in is real and I believe that once we get the QB that buy in will attract more potential FAs down the line.

I hadn't heard that rumor, but ultimately it would still be sheer chaos.

I watched 1 Penix game last year and my only takeaway from that game was if the Pats draft him this year I wonder who will draft 2 or 3 years from now when he’s a bust

Agr

Agreed, but what is starting to resonate through the league with the players is about mayo, and how he treats his players, and how he values them as men. The buy-in is real and I believe that once we get the QB that buy in will attract more potential FAs down the line.
I hope you are right. There are alot of things going against the Pats right now for potential FAs. Crappy weather, an outdoor stadium with dated facilities, high taxes, bad owner reputation, and a team that is not close to contention.

I hope you are right. There are alot of things going against the Pats right now for potential FAs. Crappy weather, an outdoor stadium with dated facilities, high taxes, bad owner reputation, and a team that is not close to contention.
I hear ya, and on the facilities I know the team sunk $$$ into upgrades in 2018. So when Gillette was built in '02 it was state of the art for that time early 2ks. 22 years later things will need to be upgraded again.

Yeah weather, traffic, taxes, comhes everywhere. This is why I mentioned we need to get the QB tonight, and with this defense we can become a contender again.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back