PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trading Richard Seymour to the Raiders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the move. BB has never been afraid to show imagination in his efforts to build this team. We were going to lose Seymour next year anyway. Now there might be enough to extend Wilfork; and we've got enough useful bodies on the DL to remain strong there.

So many of us fans get way too attached to individual players. It's all about the team, folks, the team! It's not about individual players. I think we will be a better club in the long run. Good move!

Sentiments aside, i think we got the better of this deal considering Seymour's age, and I dont think he's the same impact player he was years ago. But the biggest thing for me that tilts it in the Pats' favor is how potentially high this first round pick will be.

Not to be lost in all of this: Oakland.

Poor, poor Richard. :(

Hopefully, the Pats will make Vince Wilfork's contract a high priority!

Thats what i was thinking!! I was thinking maybe they traded Seymour to extend Wilfork! I know that we will only keep one and at least we got something for seymour for the future. I think we will be using strictly the 4-3 defense!!

I hate to see Seymour go. However, this will clear some cap space to sign Big Vince to a long term contract. We probably would not been able to have both next year. Big Vince is still young and a vital part of the DL.

Now for those who have dumping on this deal, I would hold my fire until we see what the D looks like during actual games. We have never had a period of stability and very good teams as we have had under BB. So, I'm willing to give him the benefit of any doubt on this and anything else until he has been proven wrong.

BB wants to win as bad as any of us. They only thing is that HE has to make the tough choices while we post our grand thoughts on a message board. If he feels this is the direction to go and is confident that this team is a contender again, that's good enough for me. He added Brace and Pryor to the team and Green is considered a very good top DE (ranked high by PFW) even as a backup.

Just one homers point of view.

Last edited:
The big question is will Al get Seymour to sign a long term deal or will Seymour become a rent a player for a first round pick.

The sad thing for the Pats is that Tom Cable will most likely not be leading the Raiders next year to get that pick down as low as possible. Granted with Davis' problems with getting quality coaches, he might have to institute a local are radio show contest "Win the Head Coaching job of the the Oakland Raiders".

Holy moly.

Not read the thread yet, but this must surely be a signal that more 4-3 then 3-4 is on the way.

He's still a top top player, and it sucks to see him go, but that's the NFL.

Best of luck, IN OAKLAND?

I agree..it's a good move..a gutsy move they would have had to do something to replace him...and most likely get nada in return..NOW they have a 1st round pick..and they also have money that they hopefully can extend Wilfork. Itw as going to come down to one or the other..and now MAYBE they can get that deal done. It's sad to see him go...BUT??? It was going to happen...better now than later. 4-3??? Maybe more so..I doubt they will go exclusibe with that..certainly more so than in past years..The D seems to be REALLY in transition in ore ways than one.
The first of many moves..

I am freaking shocked! And I feel alot less optimistic about this season now. I hope there is another move on the heels of this one.

What a crazy offseason.

I've generally considered Seymour the best player on the field. Thanks for everything, Big Sey.

Damn.......

The only thing I can say is that Seymour was having a less than stellar preseason and maybe Belichick and Pees saw felt he wasn't going to give them a Seymour quality season and felt it was better to get value for him now than let him walk all together next season. It will on the positive side give the Pats money to lock up Wilfork or make a big trade of their own to get a player.

I guess that they clearly saw something we didn't. I can't agree with you that Seymour had a bad pre-season because I saw him giving 100% effort out there when he was on the field.. Personally, I though Green did less.

OK, so...

- The Pats had a glut of DL talent.
- They're playing a lot more 4-3, which means the big 3 of Seymour-Wilfork-Warren would have seen the field together a lot less often.
- Seymour was in the last year of his contract, and it's reasonable to target the younger, healthier Wilfork and Mankins as the two franchise tags/big $$ signings in the uncapped year. (With Brady to consider, too.)
- The last 2 times BB had a top-10 draft pick to play with, he ended up with Seymour and Mayo. Those opportunities just don't come along often.

So I can see how it makes sense. If only it were Oakland's 2010 #1, I'd actually think it was a great deal. The iffy status of the whole 2011 season tempers my enthusiasm considerably.

BTW, I don't see how this move makes sense for Oakland at all.

How much cap space is there now? 5.5?

Bring in Peppers for that pass rushing? :p

Brilliant and Gutsy move by BB in my opinion. It is these types of trades that allow the Pats to compete year in and year out for the Superbowl. I'm guessing as many are that BB thinks we aren't going to be able to keep both Seymour and Vince next year. Although there is no doubt that Seymour is one of the best guys in his position, the fact that we seem pretty loaded in that position will probably help cushion the impact of #93's loss this year.

More importantly the move sets us up to draft another great player a couple years from now who can be a cornerstone of this team for years to come or at the very least the pick can be used as a bargaining chip to get an impact player this year or next year.

This is why BB is the best to me!

With the board so jammed, it's tough to read what other people have posted. Absent that, my thoughts include:

1. Losing Branch and Asante hurt. I hope the same isn't as true of Sey.

2. I never thought Sey would re-sign. His attitude to money was obvious and frequently reinforced. He also was more pointed in his criticism of BB than almost any other player we've had, specifically after the time Ratgini outcoached the Pats, and also about the experiment w/ him at FB. Still little things -- but he obviously didn't buy into the Patriot persona the way a lot of other players have.

3. This probably also relates to a move away from a "pure" 3-4 (2-gap), in which Seymour is almost the ideal player when healthy.

(I hope this isn't a duplicate post!)

I won't say I told you so, but I was the poster that said Richard Seymour was the most overrated player in the NFL. Some pretty smart people share my assessment.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Big Sey.

QB12

WOW! :eek:
I am so shocked by this move that I don't know what to think right now. Never saw this coming. I hope that BB knows what he's doing. This defense had me nervous before this move, now I'm worried.

I guess we can safely rename Raiders to "Official Feeder Franchise For Patriots". Gutsy move and I love it :singing:

Just amazing. I log on to the board on a lazy Sunday, and WHAM! Major Trade!

Reminds me of the shock of losing Lawyer Milloy just before the Bills game. They cleaned our clock that game. Not suggesting that will happen on opening night now, just thinking out loud.

WOW! I certainly didn't see this coming, although I new 93 was in the last year of his contract. I figured he'd be around for the year, then everyone would go their way, because it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to stick around here for what New England would offer him for salary.

I think that getting a 1st-Round pick is great because even though it's down the pike, it's still an extra chip to play with. More options. More leverage.

This move actually makes me more interested now about this season, even though I thought I couldn't be more hyped. :cool:

Good Luck 93, you left behind some great memories! Thanks!

As far as cap saving move, I guess its a good move, considering Richard has battled injury pretty much every season recently. However, with uncertainty with our pass rush, I wonder getting rid of last season's sack leader is wise course....

I guess Big Vince and TFB will get their extension now which is a good thing. I just can't shake this bad feeling this will come back to bite us in the *****....like Seymour becoming free agent after the seaon and signing with the Jests.....Definitely one of the biggest WTF moment...:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back