PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trading Richard Seymour to the Raiders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a brilliant move and here's why:
By 2010 or 2011, all top rookie picks will have fixed salaries like in the NBA.

With Oakland's pick, Belichick is going to likely select a top 10 rookie at a long, cheap contract.

We also now have enough money to resign Wilfork, Brady, Mankins.

Belichick must have hated what he saw on tape during the off-season. He has gotten rid of Vrabel, Hobbs, Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour.

OK, so...

- The Pats had a glut of DL talent.
- They're playing a lot more 4-3, which means the big 3 of Seymour-Wilfork-Warren would have seen the field together a lot less often.
- Seymour was in the last year of his contract, and it's reasonable to target the younger, healthier Wilfork and Mankins as the two franchise tags/big $$ signings in the uncapped year. (With Brady to consider, too.)
- The last 2 times BB had a top-10 draft pick to play with, he ended up with Seymour and Mayo. Those opportunities just don't come along often.

So I can see how it makes sense. If only it were Oakland's 2010 #1, I'd actually think it was a great deal. The iffy status of the whole 2011 season tempers my enthusiasm considerably.

BTW, I don't see how this move makes sense for Oakland at all.

I agree with most of this.

I can't believe that in 5 months our defense has lost Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison and Seymour, the core of our SB defenses. I think all are good moves for the long term, but it does leave one with a kind of empty feeling.

Some thoughts:

(1) I see us mixing a 4-3 starting Warren-Wilfork-Brace-Burgess at DL and Thomas-Mayo-Guyton at LB with a 3-4 using Warren-Wilfork/Brace-Green/Wright/Brace at DL and Thomas-Mayo-Guyton-Woods/Burgess at LB. Good as Seymour was, I don't see much of a dropoff in the defense using those formations. I think Brace showed a lot during the preseason, and is capable of starting. The combination of Brace and Wilfork together in a 4-3 should be remiscent of Traylor and Wilfork in 2004.

(2) As good as Seymour was, he would be 30 next year and would likely have wanted top dollar. This clears the path to resigning Mankins and Wilfork, who are younger and less replaceable.

(3) This could create some flexibility to go after a top FA in 2010, such as DeMarcus Ware. With 3 2nd round picks in 2010 and an extra 2011 1st, we could give up our own 2010 and 2011 picks to sign someone like Ware (assuming he gets the franchise tag instead of a long term deal) without losing a beat. I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that it gives our FO a lot of flexibility, and they are very good working with flexibility.

(4) There are a lot of good 3-4 DE prospects coming up in the next 2 years. If we had gotten Oakland's 2010 1st then I could have seen Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy as possibilities. Keep your eye on Lawrence Marsh out of Florida, a 6'5" 305# junior with Seymour-like athleticism.

Shades of Lawyer Milloy...

All I can say is that BB must have a ton of confidence in Pryor and Brace to go ahead and pull the trigger on this. We don't necessarily have to move to a 4-3. We'd still be able to maintain a 3-4 keeping Brace in as a run stuffer and Pryor in as a pass rusher (looked great against the Eagles). However, considering the relative thinness at LB, we're probably looking at more 4-3 than 3-4. I'm hella nervous right now. Seymour was great and he's going to be replaced by a committee. However, I'm willing to give BB the benefit of the doubt on this one. This means Wilfork should be resigned and we'll have the best NT in the league for years to come.

Plus, while this forum was down, I was looking at a couple of our rivals' message boards (specifically Steelers, Colts, and Chargers) and the response is overwhelmingly in favor that the Pats made a great move here. I hope they are right.

OK, so...

- They're playing a lot more 4-3, which means the big 3 of Seymour-Wilfork-Warren would have seen the field together a lot less often.
- Seymour was in the last year of his contract, and it's reasonable to target the younger, healthier Wilfork and Mankins as the two franchise tags/big $$ signings in the uncapped year. (With Brady to consider, too.)
- The last 2 times BB had a top-10 draft pick to play with, he ended up with Seymour and Mayo. Those opportunities just don't come along often.

So I can see how it makes sense. If only it were Oakland's 2010 #1, I'd actually think it was a great deal. The iffy status of the whole 2011 season tempers my enthusiasm considerably.

The Jumbo 4-3 that the Pats ran out there was very good, imho.

I agree with what you said otherwise.

This was a brilliant trade.

In 2011 top draft picks are going to have set fixed salaries, like in the NBA.

Belichick is going to select a top 10 player courtesy of Oakland, at low money, for a long contract.

This offseason has been one SHOCK after another. I get the feeling that there might be another one coming. :eek:

Could this draft pick be for Randy Moss's replacement? Maybe Bill has come to loved what having a true athletic WR can do.

Like Julio Jones?

I won't say I told you so, but I was the poster that said Richard Seymour was the most overrated player in the NFL. Some pretty smart people share my assessment.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Big Sey.

QB12

You won't say I told you so, huh?

"Richard Seymour is the most overrated player in the NFL" is a RIDICULOUS thing to post, even for a hater. The fact we just got a #1 pick for him is one of myriad pieces of evidence that puts the crazy to that idea.

I won't say I told you so, but I was the poster that said Richard Seymour was the most overrated player in the NFL. Some pretty smart people share my assessment.

QB12

Normally 'I told you so' is applicable when you predict something not when you have some level of negative sentiment for a player who was traded. Unless you did predict Seymour would be traded to Oakland for a pick in 2011...

Apparently Belichick thought he was selling high on Seymour after a career year. My initial reaction was 'G-D IT!' but now I'm going to sit and wait for our pass rush to materialize out of thin air. Work your Sith Lord magic, BB!

OK, so...

The Jumbo 4-3 that the Pats ran out there was very good, imho.

I agree with what you said otherwise.

it pains me how smart the pats are

trading an old guy who has seen his best days, for a future 1st rounder....

simply thievery, congrats

One thought is how good the second and third string DL line played against the first string Giant running game. impressive IMO.. trade makes sense based on that plus cap plus, last year contract etc...

OK, so...

I can't believe that in 5 months our defense has lost Vrabel, Bruschi, Harrison and Seymour, the core of our SB defenses. I think all are good moves for the long term, but it does leave one with a kind of empty feeling.

Some thoughts:

(1) I see us mixing a 4-3 starting Warren-Wilfork-Brace-Burgess at DL and Thomas-Mayo-Guyton at LB with a 3-4 using Warren-Wilfork/Brace-Green/Wright/Brace at DL and Thomas-Mayo-Guyton-Woods/Burgess at LB. Good as Seymour was, I don't see much of a dropoff in the defense using those formations. I think Brace showed a lot during the preseason, and is capable of starting. The combination of Brace and Wilfork together in a 4-3 should be remiscent of Traylor and Wilfork in 2004.

(2) As good as Seymour was, he would be 30 next year and would likely have wanted top dollar. This clears the path to resigning Mankins and Wilfork, who are younger and less replaceable.

(3) This could create some flexibility to go after a top FA in 2010, such as DeMarcus Ware. With 3 2nd round picks in 2010 and an extra 2011 1st, we could give up our own 2010 and 2011 picks to sign someone like Ware (assuming he gets the franchise tag instead of a long term deal) without losing a beat. I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that it gives our FO a lot of flexibility, and they are very good working with flexibility.

(4) There are a lot of good 3-4 DE prospects coming up in the next 2 years. If we had gotten Oakland's 2010 1st then I could have seen Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy as possibilities. Keep your eye on Lawrence Marsh out of Florida, a 6'5" 305# junior with Seymour-like athleticism.

Wow!! Am shocked and chagrined!!! In a way it really makes sense as Seymour had only this year left before he departed...BUT waiting 2 years for a pick? No other players involved? That is a bit odd...and to think many saw this roster as NOT changing..many more moves to go..I think.

One year from now, when there's (possibly) a new CBA that locks in lower, slotted salary slots for a Top 5 pick like this (if not #1) in the 2011 draft, all will become clear.

Wow.

It's not as if we haven't had detractors of Sey all along... and of course the operative phrase with him has always been "when healthy" or "when playing well". And there's all that D-Line talent...But still, W O W. That's a biggie.

Looking forward to this being one of those "Bill sure is a genius!" moments in retrospect. Having my deer in the headlights moment for right now.

PFnV

QB12

You won't say I told you so, huh?

"Richard Seymour is the most overrated player in the NFL" is a RIDICULOUS thing to post, even for a hater. The fact we just got a #1 pick for him is one of myriad pieces of evidence that puts the crazy to that idea.

pats are too damn smart

trading an over the hill old guy who gets hurt, for a future 1st rounder

way to go

OK, so...

Some thoughts:

I wonder if the writing was on the wall when we hosted Kevin Carter last month?

I thought this was going to happen earlier this season. By Seymour. He was never worth the money IMO. Besides when he was younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes