PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Tully Banta-Cain [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andre Tippett and Don Blackmon have come out of retirement to play. Seau and Blackmon fight over the #55

Is it possible that they actually want to sign him to an extension but had to release him first to avoid the rule that prevents a team from redoing a players contract more than 1 time in a 12 month period? Not sure, but Reiss and Rappaport seem to be indicating that he will be back soon.

Good choice. Johnny Walker Black, Gold, Green and Blue are also fine choices...Although Blue is little much for watching Chargers and Broncos...

The Glenfiddich 12 was on sale at the NH Liquor Stores for $37. That was too good to pass up. That's a go on the JW too.

Is it possible that they actually want to sign him to an extension but had to release him first to avoid the rule that prevents a team from redoing a players contract more than 1 time in a 12 month period? Not sure, but Reiss and Rappaport seem to be indicating that he will be back soon.

That rule applies regardless of what you do with a player. Also cutting a vested veteran does not void his contract.

Note that the rule prevents a team from renegotiating twice in a 12-month period.

In any case, releasing him today means he's a UFA. If they waited until after 4(?) PM tomorrow, he'd have to clear waivers before they could re-sign him.

That rule applies regardless of what you do with a player. Also cutting a vested veteran does not void his contract.

I'm not 100% sure about that. IIRC, the rule is that a vested veteran is allowed to receive "unemployment" (i.e., the remainder of his annual salary) once in his career. I don't think that negates the Pats' financial obligations in this case, but I'm fairly sure that once a player is cut, the team is allowed to resign the player to any cap-compliant contract they want.

I like TBC.
Maybe he'll be back.

Initially I was lost because he's been ok, then it sort of settled down into a thought of he may be back.

very odd.....maybe something will be announced at the game tonight...

This felt like a "54 man roster" move, though in that respect TBC's involvement is a bit surprising.

Good choice. Johnny Walker Black, Gold, Green and Blue are also fine choices...Although Blue is little much for watching Chargers and Broncos...

Nice - I've got a bottle of The Macallan 12 ... I'm a single malt novice though.

I'm with most of you guys... wow.

I'm sure something's coming, but hell if I know what :p Maybe Morris' injury is serious enough that they want a RB? I don't know. But I'm really surprised that it's TBC. He's played well, he doesn't make much, and it doesn't save us money. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what BB has up his sleeve.

Rapoport seems convinced TBC will be back soon and that this is a contract thing.

yeah...nothing odd like this ever happens with the Patriots...this is so strange and out of character for the way BB does things.

except maybe for the Milloy cut

or maybe the Law release

or perhaps the Willie McG incident

oh..and maybe the Seymour trade

or letting Asante walk

or trading Vrabel

or Bledsoe to Buffalo

or letting Branch walk

or Hobbs going to Philly

or letting Daniel Graham walk away to Denver

just so strange and out of character....

Nice - I've got a bottle of The Macallan 12 ... I'm a single malt novice though.

Talisker, Oban, whatever. You guys are making me think of a quick single malt run to the NH liquor store.

Crap! Wife is here. Damn!

drunken Pats fans disgust me...*hic*..stagger...trip...
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Last edited:
TBC's season thus far has been a bit overrated. He got two sacks against the Bills, but he was a non-factor for most of the game and when the Pats brought the house he got his sacks. He has lost his starting job in recent weeks. He had three tackles yesterday, but two of them were after the Pats went up 52-0. Against Atlanta and Baltimore, he had one tackle and no sacks for both games combined.

I am surprised he got cut, but he was clearly being phased out of the defense a bit even before he got cut. I figured they would keep him for depth, but I didn't think he would get much playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News