PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Tully Banta-Cain [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have too many pash rushers on the roster so they thought they could cut some dead weight.

What about Galloway and a pick, for a PLAYER? A GOOD player?

Terrel "The Thug" Suggs... ;)
Ok, so this theory is rampant in the first 11 pages of this thread. IF THIS WERE THE CASE, SUGGS WOULD TAKE GALLOWAY'S SPOT ON THE ROSTER.

This felt like a "54 man roster" move, though in that respect TBC's involvement is a bit surprising.
This is my best guess as well. And we had to do it before tomorrow because someone would have claimed him.

is seau that good lol

realy why whoud you cut your sack leader ?

i guess BB is puting he's foot down do what i tell you to do or get cut

i like it lol

Last edited:
Re: TBC Cut??

This really makes little sense at all. Perhaps making room for a trade about to happen?
I too thought he was doing well, I'm surprised. I hope that you're right and this is about a trade.

Re: TBC Cut??

How about:
Patriots trade Joey Galloway to Baltimore for a 2010 7th round pick.
Patriots trade 2010 4th and 7th round pick (from above deal) to the Panthers for Julius Peppers and Steve Smith.

Peppers for pash rush, Disgruntled Smith for speed who can stretch the field? ;)

Lack of draft picks that start and poor player mgt has cost this team at least 2 titles. It continues! WTF? Only player to get near the QB this season and he gets cut! Terrible job!

Lack of draft picks that start and poor player mgt has cost this team at least 2 titles. It continues! WTF? Only player to get near the QB this season and he gets cut! Terrible job!

LMAO! Maybe it's time to become a broncos fan, eh, chicken little?

As Reiss says, there has to be more to the story.

Here is a thought had late last night, maybe he does not have a passport....

Here is a thought had late last night, maybe he does not have a passport....

:confused: are you saying he did something in the past that would not allow him to leave the country? Otherwise, getting a passport is easy, and can be obtained quickly.

Last edited:

Terrible draft this year, they just suck. I think they should fire BB. I think Mangeni might be available for next year.

:confused: are you saying he did something in the past that would not allow him to leave the country? Otherwise, getting a passport is easy, and can be obtained quickly.

Not sure of anything, just a thought... maybe he put it off and it is too late to take care of it..

This would be a member of the Patriots that is 3rd in points allowed in the AFC... people love a "sexy" pass rush.. just a reminder this is the 6th best D in the NFL right now... and they cannot get close to the QB????? Wah, wah, break out the crying machine..

Interesting speculation here. We need some sort of virtual currency for sitations like this. Everybody throws in a buck and the first to guess right wins the pot with the caveat that they must spend it on beer for the next game. With 20+pages of guesswork, the lucky guesser could host quite a party. Af for me, I'm guessing that I'm utterly clueless.

As for the pass rush, if we go to a 3-4, we could do worse in passing situations than have AD come off the blindside.

Possibly clearing space for one of LeVoir/Tate? Not sure if that's possible or plausible, just throwing it out there.

LeVoir may make sense, since our backup tackle is not Connolly or Simmons. However, Belichick did indicate, and I believed him, that he needed to see the PUP players actually practice, to test out their recovery from injury, and for them to get into football shape before hitting the playing field. Even at their young age, neither Tate or LeVoir is Junior Seau.

That's exactly why it doesn't make sense. Banta-Cain was by far exceeding expectations and was getting to the QB better than anyone else. If I was going to cut a LB it would have been Ninkovich or Alexander. probably Ninkovich since Alexander has been good for us on special teams. A day after Adalius is benched, you cut one of the better pass rushing OLB on your team? Doesnt make sense. Something has to be going on.

I don't know the intracacies of the pre-/post-waiver signings, but in the case of Ninkovich, any team that acquired him this year would be able to resign him as a RFA next year, which would make him more appealing than Banta Cain, who is an UFA.

This means what....that Tom Jackson was onto something after all??? :confused: :eek: Hobbs, traded....Vrabel, GONE....Seymour: "later dude".....Brace inexplicably drafted....Adalius, benched......the Players' Union somehow involved....umm tin foil hat failing........

Seriously, I've had an uneasy feeling along these same lines beginning around the time that Seymour was traded and looking back over some of the off-season moves. Hope I'm just crazy.

I think that Al Davis has a contageous dementia and that in the process of all the trades with the Raiders over the years, BB has contracted it. This is just the early stages. We can only imagine who's next.

I hope there is a mistake or misunderstanding someone where, we don't treat humans like this. This will truly be classless.

To think that BB or anyone else on the roster-decision-making team knows the interview schedules of his players is silly. Bill has enough of his brain occupied with the details of the salary cap and the Buccaneers.

Last edited:
Resigning him to a longer contract is the only thing that makes any sense to me.

1) I don't believe he was cut for lack of production.
2) We didn't save any money by cutting him
3) There were worse players on the roster to cut if we just needed a spot (even at LB... and TBC is a good ST player, so there is no angle there either)

Things that favor this being a procedural move:

1) We can't renegotiate his contract without cutting him first
2) We cut him before the trade deadline to avoid anyone claiming him off waivers
3) His response in the sirius interview makes me believe he already knew about it and was not trying to talk bad about the team or act like he was in on the whole thing and just helping the Pats circumvent the rules.
4) He already tried his hand at making bigger bucks with another team and it didn't work out for him. He is happy in NE and so we can trust him to NOT sign with another team and resign with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back