PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Tully Banta-Cain [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of their contracts already count against the cap.

So what you are saying is that is DEFINITELY not the reason.

What about potential trade with Ravens that is being rumored about?

That doesn't help this make sense, though...

Re: TBC's contract terminated (merged)

The weirdest part of all --- AD doesn't play, TBC gets cut ---

AND BURGESS KEEPS GETTING SNAPS !!!

I have to say, it's more than intriguing. I love it.

Burgess was there on a couple of plays. It's possible that a move to the 3-4 might be exactly what he needs. Me? I'm as perplexed by this move as anyone else. He was doing really good for us so far this season... especially in the pass rush.

Does this mean the 4-3 is back full time?

No, if anything it means the 3-4 is probably seen more. TBC was more of a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB this season. And Seau is more of a 3-4 ILB than anything else at this point.

I believe the rumored trade is Galloway for a draft pick. That would put the roster down by 2.

Either we make a blockbuster trade by tomorrow or meet your new every down pass rusher named Nincovich :eek:

This is probably sad on my part, being so negative and all, but I think the outcome you've just posted is how I feel as well.

I highly doubt we bring in some big name to the team. Don't get me wrong, I would be overjoyed if we did, but I just don't see that happening. Again though, this does make you wonder. The only two consistent threats we have had getting to the QB or providing any rush has been TBC and Wright.

So, why cut the guy when you have people on your team that haven't been doing jack **** to help this club. The two coming to mind are Galloway and Burgess who IMO, has been a completely bust p/u for us.

I could definately see us just using the roster spot for someone we all already know about. Tate perhaps?

did they already have the roster space to activate Tate/Levoir?

No, but losing a 3- sack player for either seems a bizzaro trade-off.

I believe the rumored trade is Galloway for a draft pick. That would put the roster down by 2.

What about Galloway and a pick, for a PLAYER? A GOOD player?

Terrel "The Thug" Suggs... ;)

Re: TBC Cut??

So, he's a free agent, basically, assuming the cut happened before the trading deadline?

The trade deadline isn't until tomorrow. So, yes, I think it's safe to assume it happened before the deadline. ;)

Burgess was there on a couple of plays. It's possible that a move to the 3-4 might be exactly what he needs. Me? I'm as perplexed by this move as anyone else. He was doing really good for us so far this season... especially in the pass rush.

Let's face it, he was the pass rush

I dunno... you might be stretching just a tad... "was there on a couple of plays" doesn't ooze of performance. But... hey... kinda hard to complain about a group that rammed an 08 bye-in-the-playoff team 59-0 (yeah, obv they not nearly the same, but...).

Just trying to get my head around this like everyone else. Is it possible that TBC is being released to open up a roster spot to bring in a Rb, being that Sammy Morris got injured yesterday and is not going to be out for the season they don't want to IR him. You don't just release someone without having someone in mind to take their roster spot.

Just trying to get my head around this like everyone else. Is it possible that TBC is being released to open up a roster spot to bring in a Rb, being that Sammy Morris got injured yesterday and is not going to be out for the season they don't want to IR him. You don't just release someone without having someone in mind to take their roster spot.

Still got Faulk, Maroney and the Law Firm

Why release a 3 sack guy in an area we're totally under performing in to cover RB?

No, but losing a 3- sack player for either seems a bizzaro trade-off.

the only thing i can think of is that they must see Burgess and TBC as redundant parts in an increasingly 3-4 defense - they're both sub-package rush players, and maybe they think Burgess has more potential in that role? They already pretty much knew what they were getting with TBC, and maybe Burgess is finally comfortable with the defense?

the only thing i can think of is that they must see Burgess and TBC as redundant parts in an increasingly 3-4 defense - they're both sub-package rush players, and maybe they think Burgess has more potential in that role? They already pretty much knew what they were getting with TBC, and maybe Burgess is finally comfortable with the defense?

I would say that and BB must also like what he sees from Ninkovich.

Still got Faulk, Maroney and the Law Firm

Why release a 3 sack guy in an area we're totally under performing in to cover RB?

I agree with you I was just throwing out possibilities who knows who is going to take TBC's roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes