PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release Tully Banta-Cain [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: TBC's contract terminated (merged)

To my entirely untrained eye, TBC looked like he was playing way above expectations, was creating more pass rush than anyone, and looked to be back on the upswing.

I know we say this every time a player is released, but there has to be more to this.

PLUS he had signed for the Veteran Minimum!!!!!

On it's own, this makes ZERO sense to me.

There has to be a back story going on. Maybe we'll know by the 4pm deadline tomorrow.

Bizarre. I personally thought Banta-Cain was one of the best looking players on the defense so far this year, certainly far better than he had been in his previous Patriots stint, and he was playing at the veteran minimum.

so who takes his roster spot? sorry didn't want to read 19 pages to find out, but like most people, i'm pretty surprised by this move. thought tbc played well when he was out there

PLUS he had signed for the Veteran Minimum!!!!!

On it's own, this makes ZERO sense to me.

There has to be a back story going on. Maybe we'll know by the 4pm deadline tomorrow.

My guess is he will be back and they made a deal to cut him for a roster spot opening for something else. If no trades, they will cut Joey Thursday and TBC will be on the plane to London.

I thought TBC looked better than Burgess, Woods, and Ninkovich. This is a WTF move.

Re: TBC Cut??

all i can say is :rofl::rofl:
anyone who thinks they know what the pats are thinking they are mistaken ..:)

:yeahthat: ... Perhaps this puts and end to guessing the 53 in the summer?

I thought TBC looked better than Burgess, Woods, and Ninkovich. This is a WTF move.

I agree with what someone wrote a few posts ago. This has contract restructure written all over it and they simply are not allowed to do it with someone who is less than one year under current contract.

That would make the most sense.

Either that, or they really REALLY like Eric Alexander a whole lot!

Tully was notified that he was cut during an interview on Sirius satellite radio NFL 124. Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan baited him into trying to say something negative but he wouldn't bite. Ryan took the opportunity to bash BB and mentioned the 30 second goodbye phone call Richard Seymour received before his trade to Oakland. Kirwan somewhat stuck up for BB by mentioning that the players always play hard for BB and that when Parcells cut or traded players he gave them "maybe 32 seconds". Anyway Tully was a classy gentlemen after being notified of his termination in front of millions of listeners. Hope he comes back.

The Sirius NFL channel is turning into the ESPN of radio. After the week 1 game against the Bills Bob Papa went on for 10 minutes about how Brady should have stopped and talked to Suzy Kohler after the game, and the entire NFL should feel disrespected by such actions. Randy Cross didn't really agree, but went along with it because he has to work with the guy everyday.

MikeReiss-ESPNBoston (10/19/2009 at 10:11 PM) I'd just say be patient on this one. More context should be coming in the ensuing days.

New England Patriots Blog - Could Banta-Cain be back soon? - ESPN Boston

That was Reiss' comment in the comments section for the above article. He seems pretty confident that TBC is gonna be back in the next couple of days - should be interesting to see what this was all about.

I agree.

I hope they are cutting him so that they can re-sign him to a new three year deal.

Why cut the only guy that deserves to be rushing the passer in this defense?

he will be in uniform sunday in England with a new, multi year contract

Yup... very akward situation... He didn't had a clue of what they where talking about...

TBC was probably thinking he was getting Punk'd

Salary Cap maintenance.

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet

Ian Rapoport says that during the Sirius interview TBC acknowledged it was a roster move, and that he expects to be back.

I disagree with this report. I listened to the interview live and TBC said something like "I got nothing for you man on that" ( thats paraphrasing but I'm close ). I did not hear him say "Yes" when asked if he would be brought back.

Having said that.......I really hope he comes back.

Last edited:
I'm holding on to hope that we resign him. I really like him as a Patriot. Maybe we'll work that, and ALSO make a trade! :rolleyes:

I'm holding on to hope that we resign him. I really like him as a Patriot. Maybe we'll work that, and ALSO make a trade! :rolleyes:

Signs point to this because he does not count against the cap if cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes