PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots + Gronkowski = Divided

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gronk is uncomfortable with coming back right now, the team should listen to him. Mayo, Chung, and Gronk were all rushed back in the past and it came back to bite the team. Gronk should go when Gronk feels that he's ready to go and no sooner. He's too valuable to rush back.
Unfortunately, Gronk may never feel ready.

If he says he isnt ready this week I let him sit. Next week against a conference opponent I push him to play. If it is a mental thing at this point he isn't going to fully get over it until he tests it in a game and next weeks game is more important, in my opinion.

Can you guys please stop with the "coming back too soon" stuff? If he's medically cleared to play, by definition, it isn't "too soon". This isn't a playoff situation in which risking Gronk's health may be worth it if you can get a win out of it.

So he's just going to retire? Of course he feels like he'll know when he's ready. It could just be a matter of wanting to build more strength before he hits the football field. Whatever the case is, the team shouldn't be pressuring him to come back. Outside of Brady, he is by far the best player on the offensive side of the ball and is way too important to be rushed back before he is ready.

Can you guys please stop with the "coming back too soon" stuff? If he's medically cleared to play, by definition, it isn't "too soon". This isn't a playoff situation in which risking Gronk's health may be worth it if you can get a win out of it.

The bolded simply isn't true, as any number of historical examples have proven.

The bolded simply isn't true, as any number of historical examples have proven.

How about right now as well. RGIII certainly doesnt look "ready" or the same athlete from last year.

I wonder if Drew Rosenhaus is a "source"?

Felger actually offered an interesting tidbit yesterday regarding Gronk's availability. He said...Pay attention to PFT's reports on Gronk's status. Basically, Rosenhaus was an early financial backer of PFT ...so Florio and Rosenhaus are thick as thieves with Rosenhaus the likely source of any Gronk news PFT offers out. PFT was earliest to report Gronk was unlikely last week......we'll see how that goes this week.

That would be the only caveat I'd accept in "pushing" him to return.

But I find it difficult to fault a player for making their health, welfare and future earning power - they ultimately have to watch out for themselves.

If Gronk does not feel he is ready, the team has to respect that and not play him. But if he is just being overly cautious because of what happened last year, Gronk needs to get over it and suck it up and play. We have killed other players for refusing to play when they were less than 100% (Tyrone Poole comes to mind). Gronk won't get a free pass with me if he can play and he is just afraid to come back too quickly.

No one knows other than Gronk if he is really ready, but I sure hope he is isn't gun shy because rushed back last year or even worse Rosenhaus is whispering in his ear and convincing him to hold out until week 6 just to be overly cautious.

Weird, if anything, I'd think it would be the opposite: gronk dying to return, and the team playing it safe.

Just doesn't make sense.

"Ron Borges contributed to this report."

Oh, if Ron Borges contributed to this report it must be true!!

That was the only thing that I took from that post as well.

Can we not post links by Ron Borges? Every time someone clicks on the link, he becomes relevant.

Agreed. This is how I felt reading through and seeing the italics at the bottom.

:bricks:

We're addressing a couple of different issues.

QUESTION ONE
Will Gronkowski be 100% or near 100% the week he is activated to play?

QUESTION TWO
Is Gronkowski healthy enough to play and not be anymore an injury risk than anyone else?

To be clear 20% of Gronk is a better starting TE than the alternatives. For me, the first question is irrelevant unless we compare with the alternatives.

And yes, the closer to 100% a player is/feels, arguably the less prone to injury. Of course, with this approach, a player may never come back. ANd certainly, players wouldn't play with injuries. Clearly, playing with injuries is part of the game.

MY CONCLUSIONS

A) This seems a mental issue to me. However, I would certainly have a different view if Gronk's non-team doctor was advising him to try to stay out.

B) Many players want to play whenever they can convince the doctor that they are OK. I'm glad that we don't have that situation (the RGIII situation I think).

C) So, considering that Gronk is our 2nd best offensive player (by far), he gets special treatment. Others might be told to suck it up and play; players play injured all the time. The team should be clear with Gronk that he is getting special treatment because of his value to the team.

D) I think that Gronk would be playing if this game was the SB, and probably if it were a playoff game.

E) Most of us thought that Game 6 was reasonable from the start, but that limited practice was preferable to PUP; and that besides, there could be a possibility that he could return earlier.

BOTTOM LINE
Players are "day-to-day" as long as they can walk into practice. Gronk has been no exception.

How about right now as well. RGIII certainly doesnt look "ready" or the same athlete from last year.

Do we know yet if he actually got on the plane to Atlanta?

The Patriots team doctor is Thomas Gill.

NFLPA files grievance against Patriots' team doctor | National Football Post

He also came under fire after his time with the Red Sox.

Exactly.

I am as big of a Pats homer as anyone out there, but their medical staff has been legendarily incompetent the past decade plus.

They screwed up Katzenmoyer, they screwed up Ty Law, they screwed up Ted Johnson, they screwed up Patrick Pass, they screwed up Leigh Bodden and they have already rushed Gronk back to soon before with DISASTROUS results last year......they were near the top of the league for several years running regarding games missed by starters due to injuries.

Somebody in the FO hired relatives for that medical staff.

Gronk is a knuckle dragger, but I trust Gronk knowing his body better than those quacks.

Last edited:
I'd add Price and Lloyd to your list.

I trust that Gronk has his own doctor.

That being said, this is about more than "feelings" and being 100%. If that were the test Vollmer would never play; he always is playing hurt.

Exactly.

I am as big of a Pats homer as anyone out there, but their medical staff has been legendarily incompetent the past decade plus.

They screwed upKatzenmoyer, they screwed up Ty Law, they screwed up Ted Johnson, they screwed up Patrick Pass, they screwed up Leigh Bodden......they were near the top of the league for several years running regarding games missed by starters due to injuries.

Somebody in the FO hired relatives for that medical staff.

Gronk is a cave dweller, but I trust Gronk knowing his body better than those quacks.

So he's just going to retire? Of course he feels like he'll know when he's ready. It could just be a matter of wanting to build more strength before he hits the football field. Whatever the case is, the team shouldn't be pressuring him to come back. Outside of Brady, he is by far the best player on the offensive side of the ball and is way too important to be rushed back before he is ready.
I think you misunderstood my point or, more likely, I didn't state it well enough. I fully understand Gronk's anxiety, but I am guessing (emphasis added, because I don't know for sure) that the only way to allay that anxiety is to go out and play. I agree with the other posters who doubt that he's being rushed back. Your point about him being the second best offensive player is correct. From the team's point of view, he's their second most valuable offensive commodity. I think they're too smart to rush him back. I believe if he's medically cleared to play, he's ready. I also believe that he was not rushed back last time and that the second arm fracture was an unbelievably long-shot, unfortunate occurrence.

I'd add Price and Lloyd to your list.

I trust that Gronk has his own doctor.

That being said, this is about more than "feelings" and being 100%. If that were the test Vollmer would never play; he always is playing hurt.

Price and Lloyd?

I don't think there's ever a clear line demarcating "ready" vs. "unready" after a major injury. Recovery requires a status bar, not a checkbox. At what point is a player ready enough?

With all due apologies:

If he had no significant risk of exacerbating the injury but had to play with pain, dayenu.

If he were able to play without pain but conditioning limited his snaps, dayenu.

If he were in condition to play a full game but lacked his customary strength and burst, dayenu.

If he regained his strength and burst but his timing and instincts were off due to rustiness, dayenu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back