PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Rats Blame Mangini for Gholston bust pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
In two years Vernon Gholston will be on the Pats and making big plays for us. I never wanted us to draft him but I think he'd fit our system better than the two systems the Jets have had him in.

Gholston doesn't love football. That is one of his biggest problems. He doesn't want to work to get better. He doesn't try hard a lot of the time. He is the anti-Patriot. No way does he come here.

All we ever hear about players like Bruschi, Harrison, Mayo, Brady, etc. is how much they lov/loved playing football and how much playing football is/was a priority in their lives. Bruschi defied the odds and came back from a stroke eventhough he could have easily retired. Brady talks about playing until they drag him away kicking and screaming from the sport.

All you ever hear about Gholston is how football isn't a priority for him. Why would Belichick ever touch a player like that. He would rather have a guy with limited skills who are willing to be coached up and overachieve (Troy Brown, Bruschi, etc.) than a talented player who doesn't want to put in the work to be his maximum.

The Jets picked the wrong (ex) Patriot coach and then HE picked the wrong linebacker. Jerod Mayo dodged a bullet and now will compete for superbowls every season

Not that it matters and this is way off topic, but I'll respond since you keep trying to insist you made a funny. It was an awkward attempt at linking Mangini's eye for talent with Grier, but it was just done... laughably bad. Sorry you keep trying to have to explain it for everyone about why it was supposedly funny, we all got it.

So you assume everyone here has your opinions and sense of humor, well okay then ... spillage I guess.:stars2:

BTW, Gholston might miss the game this week because he was injured in a WALKTHROUGH practice. Yeah, he will come to the Patriots after he is released from the Jets. The only lamer injury than that is when Brian Griese was injured and miss a month tripping over his dog.

Last edited:
All you ever hear about Gholston is how football isn't a priority for him. Why would Belichick ever touch a player like that. He would rather have a guy with limited skills who are willing to be coached up and overachieve (Troy Brown, Bruschi, etc.) than a talented player who doesn't want to put in the work to be his maximum.

I like to pick on the guy like anyone ... but your theory doesn't hold water with Chad Jackson et al.

Gholston probably doesn't give a ****, he's set for life with all that money he's getting.

My college just recruited his brother, William, so hopefully he doesn't continue with Vernon's worth ethic. It'll be interesting to see how he develops, the rumor is he'll be redshirted because he's really raw. Great speed, 6'7, 230-250 pounds at the moment. Probably could add 30-40.

What did the Jets, or Mangini, see in Gholston? They were seduced by extraordinary measurables - size, speed and strength.

Sounds familiar. Anyone remember Bob Kraft and Tebucky Jones?

In tomorrow's article, Cimini is going to reveal that Mangini was adamently opposed to drafting Darrell Revis and Tannenbaum had to threaten to quit to get his way to draft him.

What a load of BS. The Jets are struggling. Tannenbaum is on the hotseat. Mangini is a pariah in Cleveland and got Kokinas fired. All of the sudden nearly two years later it comes out that Gholston was Mangini's choice and everyone else in the organization was against the pick.

:ditto:

The Jets drafted some very good players during Mangini's tenure, and made a few costly whiffs. After he leaves, it conveniently comes out that he was high on Gholston with no mention of Revis, Harris, Washington, Keller, etc. Prediction: the next rumor out of Jersey is how Mangini prostrated himself begging Tannenbaum to draft Kellen Clemens. :rolleyes:

Breaking news: It has been disclosed that Gholston injured himself on Monday during a walk-through.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
:ditto:

The Jets drafted some very good players during Mangini's tenure, and made a few costly whiffs. After he leaves, it conveniently comes out that he was high on Gholston with no mention of Revis, Harris, Washington, Keller, etc. Prediction: the next rumor out of Jersey is how Mangini prostrated himself begging Tannenbaum to draft Kellen Clemens. :rolleyes:

And of course it was Magini who must have twisted Tanenbaum's arm to give Gholston that enormous rookie contract (5 years/$32M with $21M guaranteed and incentives up to $50M that he'll obviously never see; compare that with Jerod Mayo's 5 yearts/$18.9M with $13.8M guaranteed).

I hate Eric the Rat as much as anyone, but he isn't the only Rat who worked or works for the Jets.

I like to pick on the guy like anyone ... but your theory doesn't hold water with Chad Jackson et al.

Belichick may not have known about Jackson when he drafted him. Jackson could have worked hard in college and then coasted in the NFL. He could have duped Belichick in his interviews when Belichick made his trip going to Florida every year.

Jackson is one example of about several hundred players who walked through the Pats' locker room. And even being a 2nd round pick that Belichick traded up for, he cut bait with the guy after two seasons when he realized that football wasn't his passion. Belichick admitted it was a mistake and moved on.

Do you really think after all the predraft questions about Gholston's dedication that have been proven true in his career with the Jets that Belichick would take a chance on the guy.

I remember when Jets fans were boasting how they "stole" him from us

I don't like Mangini but I love how in NY (where I live), he gets blamed for the Gholston pick and Tannenbaum gets a free pass. However for all the good draft picks they've had over the years he has been there (Revis, Keller, Mangold, Harris, Washington, etc.) he doesn't get any credit and Tannenbaum gets all of the credit. If Mangini had such an important say in the Gholston decision, how come he didn't have a strong say in the other good ones? I find it hard to believe that Mangini was the only one who wanted Gholston. Either way, I'm elated we ended up with Mayo instead of that bum. I thought we were going to take Rivers or Clady but Mayo has been amazing for us.

BTW, Gholston might miss the game this week because he was injured in a WALKTHROUGH practice. Yeah, he will come to the Patriots after he is released from the Jets. The only lamer injury than that is when Brian Griese was injured and miss a month tripping over his dog.

Didn't Brandon Marshall claim that he hurt his hand by putting it in a TV after he slipped on a McDonald's bag or something? I mean, everyone knew it was bull, but I think that's what he tried to pass it off as, and that always struck me as Griese-level bad too.

Someone needs to dig up those old threads of who will be better Mayo or VG. There were Pats fans wishing we would have traded up to get him

You're probably right, but I wasn't one lobbying for Gholston. He violates my #1 drafting rule: Don't fall for the steroid freak.

The business version of this one is even better, as there are three envelopes:
(1) Blame your predecessor
(2) Reorganize!
(3) Prepare three new envelopes

Works like a charm the first two times...

A deep truth about how organizations work -- I bet there was a medieval version about the Pope ...

I remember that too. It seems there was a lot of talk about the Pats wanting Gholston before the draft (or that's what analysts were saying)...it would be funny if BB and the Pats leaked that info for bait so the Jet's would draft Gholston and "steal" him from us...knowing all along we didn't want him.

It was just like how the Dolphins fans bragged how the Dolphins stole Vernon Carey before that (the Pats drafted Wilfork as a consolation prize). Or the Jets stealing Dewayne Robertson before that (the Pats got stuck with Ty Warren).

If our division opponents didn't keep stealing the Pats' targets, we would have had future Hall of Famers Gholston, Carey, and Robertson rather than the scrubs Wilfork, Warren, and Mayo. With highway robberies like those, you wonder how the Pats win the division almost every year.

Didn't Brandon Marshall claim that he hurt his hand by putting it in a TV after he slipped on a McDonald's bag or something? I mean, everyone knew it was bull, but I think that's what he tried to pass it off as, and that always struck me as Griese-level bad too.

LOL! Yeah, I forgot that one. Of course we have another freak injured player on our roster. Chris Hanson did go on IR in a locker room incident involving an ax and a tree trunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back