PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

'Voted off the island': Inside Bill Belichick's failed job hunt (ESPN report)

I.M.O Leave Coach Bill and Robert Kraft out cha mouth press. Stop! Jets 55 years, Miami 50 years, Buffalo never. No Super bowls. There is NO WAY I would try to lay Shame on these guys. As Patriots fans we should stay out of this controversy! It's called Respect. They did what they had to do to win it all. We are now seeing how extremely difficult it is to get back on top against 31 other teams. Don't! My take would be keep Bill on TV. I need to listen to him explain how he did it.
Would love to hear Bill tell it. Dealing with Kraft, salary cap, over priced athletes, media barrage, spoiled fans, wife, ex wife , kids in the same business, teaching, leading … damn lol …who the hell would want that crap ??

Would love to hear Bill tell it. Dealing with Kraft, salary cap, over priced athletes, media barrage, spoiled fans, wife, ex wife , kids in the same business, teaching, leading … damn lol …who the hell would want that crap ??
And he got everyone a ring

I'm with ya on that.. but... that's what 25 million is for... lol.

Screenshot_20240420_202958_Samsung Internet.jpg

probably almost every coach in NFL and college football
Belichick ran the organization for 20 years, got paid well, and was fully in charge.

Last edited:
I'll push back on this.

We did read that Belichick wanted a later round QB over Mac.

But, if you watch video of when they selected Mac, Belichick turned around to the room when they landed the 15th pick, and he asked, are we sure of this? Does anyone have any last things to say?

It was almost as though there was dissent in the room (not sure whether it was the scouts or Bill) and also that they were somehow not anticipating he'd even be there at 15. They certainly didn't trade up for him.

We'll likely never know the true conversations and feelings, but it is clear to me that Belichick was ambivalent during the draft.

Whether or not Belichick preferred to take a QB in a later round, it is pretty clear that Belichick didn’t not want Mac Jones. It wasn’t like he was totally against draft Mac and overruled. He was ok with drafting him even if it wasn’t his first choice. There was zero reporting he didn’t like Mac and was against drafting him.

And you are spinning the war room video. All we saw Belichick ask around the room “Are you good with this?”. When some someone asked him if they should get Mac on the phone, he responded “Yep, I good with it”. For all we know, this is how every pick happens (or at least in recent years). People have way over analyzed this video to find things that isn’t there.

Whether or not Belichick preferred to take a QB in a later round, it is pretty clear that Belichick didn’t not want Mac Jones. It wasn’t like he was totally against draft Mac and overruled. He was ok with drafting him even if it wasn’t his first choice. There was zero reporting he didn’t like Mac and was against drafting him.

And you are spinning the war room video. All we saw Belichick ask around the room “Are you good with this?”. When some someone asked him if they should get Mac on the phone, he responded “Yep, I good with it”. For all we know, this is how every pick happens (or at least in recent years). People have way over analyzed this video to find things that isn’t there.

There's a difference between a draft pick not working out and a pick being an egregious blunder. Jones didn't work out but the pick wasn't a mistake when it was made. He was the consensus pick for the Pats at that spot. Pats didn't have to move up. He was the 5th QB off the board, the Patriots needed a QB and Jones is better than anyone picked after him. It just didn't work out.

The latter would be Jordan Richards picked 5 rounds ahead or where anyone else would have picked him. Or N'Keal "can't get separation" Harry.

Disagree. It's not how every pick happens. I've watched videos of countless picks.

It's a pointed question from Belichick.

Last edited:
People have way over analyzed this video to find things that isn’t there.
Indeed. Whether he wanted him or not, all these things were all happening on his watch. He's the one who went down the Cam Newton path and put himself into the place of needing to find a QB in the draft. Things went well Mac's first season, including a brief playoff appearance. Then we had McD's departure and the absurd MP+JG experiment along with a general failure to reload talent on offense, which is a big part of why he was fired and why no one else hired him either.

There's a difference between a draft pick not working out and a pick being an egregious blunder. Jones didn't work out but the pick wasn't a mistake when it was made. He was the consensus pick for the Pats at that spot. Pats didn't have to move up. He was the 5th QB off the board, the Patriots needed a QB and Jones is better than anyone picked after him. It just didn't work out.

The latter would be Jordan Richards picked 5 rounds ahead or where anyone else would have picked him. Or N'Keal "can't get separation" Harry.
I also mostly agree with this too.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back