PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: How did the Belichick-Kraft Patriots partnership end?

It ended because Kraft is a petty, vicious little man and because he bent to that stupid Goddell and the media and never really supported Bill. Even when things were great, he was being very disingenuous towards Bill. Can't stand him anymore !!!!!!!

To be fair to JK - maybe BB soured on him because he was the only one seeing the writing on the wall, and tried to talk realism to Bobby, who just wanted all his friends to be together until he dies.
JK might be the guy who can see objectively and cares about the next era.

Collaborative doesn't really mean GM-by-committee. BB was the GM. The final decision to pick Jones is still 100% on him for better or worse.

Unless he was ready to move up for Parsons I'm not sure Mills was the better option.

Collaborative doesn't really mean GM-by-committee. BB was the GM. The final decision to pick Jones is still 100% on him for better or worse.

Unless he was ready to move up for Parsons I'm not sure Mills was the better option.
Yeah, Mills and Newton as the QB options for 2021 and beyond aren’t exactly much better, but at least we wouldn’t have blown a first round pick. It also might explain why the Jete thought the Pats were hot for Vera-Tucker and jumped us to take him.

Of course Vera-Tucker’s career has looked like Isaiah Wynn’s so far, so that pick wouldn’t have looked so hot either right now.

If this is true, left to his own devices I wonder if Belichick wouldn’t have just traded back to the mid-20s, picked up an extra 3rd round pick, and have picked Barmore in the 20s instead of trading up for him in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Basically BB was a lame duck coach for the yr and Mayo was likely Curran's source.
Curran mentioned High level people in the organization.. I do know ESPN mentioned.. RK.. himself was reporting stuff directly to Stephen A. On brady...

Here's another thing.. BB oversaw all staffers, coaches, assistants contracts he knew about Mayo's contract having the succession clause in it. The time line was accelerates because or the way the last 2 seasons have went. I believe both Bill and Kraft both felt it was time for a change.

To be fair to JK - maybe BB soured on him because he was the only one seeing the writing on the wall, and tried to talk realism to Bobby, who just wanted all his friends to be together until he dies.
JK might be the guy who can see objectively and cares about the next era.
That must be why we're getting stories about how JK didn't like the lack of deference Belichick showed Kraft during personal meetings. I mean, who the heck is making a big deal out of that except for the people close to Kraft. I hope Jerod understands he needs to kiss the ring (or at least the cheek).

Curran mentioned High level people in the organization.. I do know ESPN mentioned.. RK.. himself was reporting stuff directly to Stephen A. On brady...

Here's another thing.. BB oversaw all staffers, coaches, assistants contracts he knew about Mayo's contract having the succession clause in it. The time line was accelerates because or the way the last 2 seasons have went. I believe both Bill and Kraft both felt it was time for a change.
Bringing on your coach's successor while he's still the coach could NEVER EVER end well. Not while he's still the coach.. It will always divide coaching staffs and inevitably locker rooms.

Bringing on your coach's successor while he's still the coach could NEVER EVER end well. Not while he's still the coach.. It will always divide coaching staffs and inevitably locker rooms.
That could be true. However it was done. Bill knew of it, and had to be okay with it! Mayo is a Bill guy.

That could be true. However it was done. Bill knew of it, and had to be okay with it! Mayo is a Bill guy.
What could Bill do? Leave?

It's not whether Bill is a Mayo guy or not. It's the principle of it. The net result is that Bill was undercut by Mayo. I'm not sure Bill is a Mayo guy anymore.

What could Bill do? Leave?

It's not whether Bill is a Mayo guy or not. It's the principle of it. The net result is that Bill was undercut by Mayo. I'm not sure Bill is a Mayo guy anymore.
Who knows? Bill ran everything in the organization, had the ultimate power deservedly so.. however Bill knew the extent of Mayo's contact he remained here.. so to some degree he had to be ok with it. 25 million a season, all the say, working with your family.. would u leave?

Who knows? Bill ran everything in the organization, had the ultimate power deservedly so.. however Bill knew the extent of Mayo's contact he remained here.. so to some degree he had to be ok with it. 25 million a season, all the say, working with your family.. would u leave?
I agree with your earlier post that Belichick wanted out.

But that's because his power had been eroded badly.

Not only last year, but in previous years as well.

He was submarined by management.

Go back to the poor drafts of '18-20. Think about all the wasted draft picks we made on trades like Sanu or losing Deflategate trades. We were trying to maximize the Super Bowl window. We lost picks to bogus investigations. We sold the future to have one more shot at a Super Bowl. I don't look back with regret, I support it.

So what happens next? Just as the team is starting a total rebuild, the poor drafts of those years puts the owner in the position of stripping some powers from the coach/GM. We're talking about 2021 here. Then coaching decisions are made behind the coach's back. Then finally successor decisions.

The only conclusion is that Belichick was torpedoed by all of this. It's a wonder the players kept playing for him.

So what happens next? Just as the team is starting a total rebuild, the poor drafts of those years puts the owner in the position of stripping some powers from the coach/GM. We're talking about 2021 here. Then coaching decisions are made behind the coach's back. Then finally successor decisions.

The only conclusion is that Belichick was torpedoed by all of this. It's a wonder the players kept playing for him.
Lol, "only conclusion". Okay, Sherlock.

What coaching decisions were made behind his back? What's your proof? Cite your sources.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back