PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The inside story of the Patriots’ fall to rock bottom in the Bill Belichick era

I wasn't making the point that HCs don't win in their 60s, but rather that no one has won beyond 68 in over 100 years. I stand by my point.

It only took 57 years for Arians to win it again at 68 and still couldn't beat Halas' record from 1963.
I get your point. I am countering it by pointing out how 60s seems to be a sweet a spot and since 68 has happened 70s is likely.

What about my other point about 6 Super Bowl wins. Do you think that is a large number?

I get your point. I am countering it by pointing out how 60s seems to be a sweet a spot and since 68 has happened 70s is likely.
60s is not a sweet spot. 40s/50s is the sweet spot.

What about my other point about 6 Super Bowl wins. Do you think that is a large number?
You edited your post after I replied so I didn't see it. Yes, 6 is a large number. Halas also had 6. Is Brady un-retiring again?

60s is not a sweet spot. 40s/50s is the sweet spot.

You edited your post after I replied so I didn't see it. Yes, 6 is a large number. Halas also had 6. Is Brady un-retiring again?
Brady is not walking through that door neither is Halas.

Bill still can.

I don't know a single person who thinks we should keep him in the current role of both GM and HC. Some people, myself included, would have no problem keeping him on as HC but Belichick the GM has absolutely 100% got to go.

Do you think he should stay on in his current role another year?
@VrabelJr

Bueller...?
Bueller...?
Bueller...?

@VrabelJr

Bueller...?
Bueller...?
Bueller...?
His GM is obviously what has him in trouble but it's an all or nothing proposition I think. I mean maybe he proposes something where he's not GM but I think it's all or nothing.

And I do like the idea of him picking the QB.

I was thinking about Bill's treatment of Brady. Let me first say that I think Tom wanted to leave because the Patriot roster was too weak to support another Super Bowl run. The 2019 season confirmed this to him. But I think Belichick was always calculating on the likelihood of Brady continuing to play at close to his prime. I think the drafting of Garoppolo in 2014 (a decade ago) was an indicator of Bill's planning for the future. Of course, Brady surprised everyone by extending the age at which a quarterback could play championship level football. Bill's reluctance to extend Brady for multiple years late in Tom's Patriot career was a reflection of Belichick's judgment that Brady would be unlikely to continue to play at a high level. For Belichick, the 2019 season was evidence of Brady's imminent decline, not of a weak roster. Let's now consider Bill's past four seasons without Brady. Season 2020, mediocre; season 2021, good, not great; season 2022, mediocre; season 2023, disastrous. How would Belichick have treated Tom Brady if Brady had stayed with the Pats and had the last four years comparable to those we've seen from Belichick?

I was thinking about Bill's treatment of Brady. Let me first say that I think Tom wanted to leave because the Patriot roster was too weak to support another Super Bowl run. The 2019 season confirmed this to him. But I think Belichick was always calculating on the likelihood of Brady continuing to play at close to his prime. I think the drafting of Garoppolo in 2014 (a decade ago) was an indicator of Bill's planning for the future. Of course, Brady surprised everyone by extending the age at which a quarterback could play championship level football. Bill's reluctance to extend Brady for multiple years late in Tom's Patriot career was a reflection of Belichick's judgment that Brady would be unlikely to continue to play at a high level. For Belichick, the 2019 season was evidence of Brady's imminent decline, not of a weak roster. Let's now consider Bill's past four seasons without Brady. Season 2020, mediocre; season 2021, good, not great; season 2022, mediocre; season 2023, disastrous. How would Belichick have treated Tom Brady if Brady had stayed with the Pats and had the last four years comparable to those we've seen from Belichick?
I think Bill thought he was signing his last contract when he signed him through age 42. I think people forget that in all of this that pretty old QB. Brady just defied reality.

Brady started asking for a new contract one gtat would take him until he was 45 for several years and it came to head when he was 41 and they gave him a no franchise to smooth it over. I think they still thought they'd get him to resign at the end of season I mean he was forty freaking two. but he never really gave us a chance he thought about it but in the end he went to Kraft and said it was over.

Ok man, if you say so.
Just a reminder call it short term or long term memory:

Bill still has won a Superbowl more recently than 28 of of the 31 franchises.

@VrabelJr

Bueller...?
Bueller...?
Bueller...?
Must have missed this among the tens of notifications of a small group of haters disliking every pro-BB post I make.

From the various leaks about us signing players like JJSS that BB didn't approve I'd say while he is still GM in title the flow of decision making has already changed so we should leave it as is.

Could the Patriots pull the rug out from Mayo after convincing him to remain? You betcha. If they did it to Tom Brady, they can do it to Mayo. A few years ago, I reported here that the Patriots had a three-year deal to keep Brady in New England. And that it was the Krafts, NOT Belichick, who pulled the deal, opting to go year-to-year.

I had spoken to a friend of the Bradys, who revealed this information. Tom E. Curran of NBC Sports Boston confirmed this and added that Robert Kraft made Belichick break the news to Brady.

WHO “mishandled” Brady?

By the way your argument that AFTER WINNING THE SB IN 2018 you think
Let me first say that I think Tom wanted to leave because the Patriot roster was too weak to support another Super Bowl run. The 2019 season confirmed this to him
gave me a good laugh.

Must have missed this among the tens of notifications of a small group of haters disliking every pro-BB post I make.

From the various leaks about us signing players like JJSS that BB didn't approve I'd say while he is still GM in title the flow of decision making has already changed so we should leave it as is.
I respect your consistency but, with all due respect, you probably shouldn't call other people "idiots" when you are advocating staying with the management and coaching that brought us from 10 to 8 to 4 wins over the past 3 years.

I respect your consistency but, with all due respect, you probably shouldn't call other people "idiots" when you are advocating staying with the management and coaching that brought us from 10 to 8 to 4 wins over the past 3 years.
You lack appreciation for what rebuilding and turning over an entire team is like. BB hasn’t been anywhere near perfect but firing him is a fool’s errand. Judging by the translation of your Roman numeral’s and join date you haven’t been a fan for long so I understand you don’t get it.

The Krafts are in an awkward spot. Mayo may legitimately feel that he’s the next man up as HC. The players support him and rising star Covington, the current DL coach.

I think they feel O’Brien needs more of his guys as offensive coaches. And a massive infusion of talent on that side of the ball.

A bad taste in the mouth would develop if Belichick declares war on the Krafts, esp. after what happened with Brady. This also figures prominently.

Best to just rip the bandaid off if Bill doesn’t want to give up on being GM.

Mayo is an unknown with no head coaching experience. It’s a big jump. Belichick knows. Just look at his shaky tenure with the Browns.

Head coaching experience is going to factor in. But Mayo probably has been given the secret handshake in order to keep him.

And DeMarcus Covington is next in line to be DC—here or likely somewhere else next season.

The Krafts are probably more comfortable with Vrabel coming in. But he was an EXCEPTIONAL recruiter in college with the Buckeyes. Ohio State may be moving on from Ryan Day. Can’t lose to the school to the north in back to back years. Just unacceptable in Columbus.

They’d drool over Vrabel taking over at his alma mater.

It’s going to be interesting. And that’s not a good thing.

You lack appreciation for what rebuilding and turning over an entire team is like. BB hasn’t been anywhere near perfect but firing him is a fool’s errand. Judging by the translation of your Roman numeral’s and join date you haven’t been a fan for long so I understand you don’t get it.
Ah yes, the weak minded man's excuse... the endless rebuild. 4 years and counting. I don't expect instant Super Bowls but you apparently lack the mental acuity to realize that 10 > 8 > 4 and this is a team plummeting in the wrong direction with no reason to believe a turnaround is coming anytime soon.

"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2020
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2021
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2022
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2023
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2024
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2025 (and so on....)

Last edited:
Ah yes, the weak minded man's excuse... the endless rebuild. 4 years and counting. I don't expect instant Super Bowls but you apparently lack the mental acuity to realize that 10 > 8 > 4 and this is a team plummeting in the wrong direction with no reason to believe a turnaround is coming anytime soon.

"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2020
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2021
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2022
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2023
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2024
"It's not fair to judge Belichick based on this year, it is a rebuilding year." - VrabelJr, 2025 (and so on....)
It must be rough having two out of the 8 seasons you’ve been a fan be losing seasons. Hang in there baby it’ll be ok.

It must be rough having two out of the 8 seasons you’ve been a fan be losing seasons. Hang in there baby it’ll be ok.
I agree it will be OK - just as soon as we get a talented GM to make player decisions. Fortunately, a change is imminent.

Brady showing up on Ross's boat before the 2019 season is also evidence that Brady wanted out.

The funny thing here is that a ton of Patriots fans are bashing Belichick for having no QB plan post Brady and the same people are bashing him for having a QB plan post Brady when he took Garoppolo.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back