PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The inside story of the Patriots’ fall to rock bottom in the Bill Belichick era

1. Hire a GM from a program succesful at identifying modern player talent. Leave no stone unturned. Money is not an issue.
2. Hire a HC with a proven record of coordination a/o HC abilities. Preferably a young offensive minded coach. Money is not an issue.

It's not my job to identify who these people are. Kraft hired Parcells, Carroll and Belichick, all of which are damn good coaches. Odds are he'll identify another solid choice.
Lol more memory issues for you but Kraft did not Hire Parcells he was here when he bought the team.

I think all teams require the receivers block, but you've got princesses like Pickens who aren't there for their team, only themselves.
I would love to find out what percentage of wide receivers miss their blocks. They have stats on their yacs and plenty of videos of their td dances.. there has to be a database on this stat. Does anyone know where to find something like this ?

Why do you say this?
We've seen a lot of young HCs be successful the last 5 years.
You can't be scared to move on just because of our previous success. There are no guarantees, of course, but there's also no guarantee that Bill can turn this thing around given his efforts have yielded worse results 3 seasons in a row.
Im not scared. Its more of a “ this next guy coming through has to follow the Greatest coach Ever” .. like Mac following Brady. Some of that had to have helped the demise of Mac’s confidence, if he actually ever had it. Hard enough to do your job alone and not have that heavy weight on your shoulders. A young coach will have to bring his own guys and own culture. Will take 3-4 years? You aren’t patient with Bill anymore.you gonna be patient with the next guy? Now that’s a lot of pressure on Krafty.. sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t.

1. Hire a GM from a program succesful at identifying modern player talent. Leave no stone unturned. Money is not an issue.
2. Hire a HC with a proven record of coordination a/o HC abilities. Preferably a young offensive minded coach. Money is not an issue.

It's not my job to identify who these people are. Kraft hired Parcells, Carroll and Belichick, all of which are damn good coaches. Odds are he'll identify another solid choice.
Kraft didn't hire Parcells

A lot lol you might want to go check the age of the SB winning coaches going back a decade or so other than McVay I think they are all older than 60.
Any of them over 70? In the history of American sports college or pro, have there been any over 70?

We’re a society that puts Grandpa in assisted living and visits once or twice a year, so we don’t know or understand that old age is a thing. Brains atrophy like muscles; energy levels decline precipitously.

Being an NFL HC is not like being a billionaire like Warren Buffett or Bob Kraft who’ve climbed their Mt. Everest and descend nightly to their mansions just below the peak and climb back up in the morning.

Bill has said on numerous occasions that every football season starts anew. A race to the top of the mountain starting at the base against competition as steep as the climb.

Stick your blind hero worship up your arse and accept what the facts have been screaming at you for years at this point - 72 year old Bill Belichick isn’t up to beating his competition up the mountain anymore.

We should ALL want the J-E-T-E Jete Jete Jete to W-I-N win win win tomorrow.
I’m not sure you’re going to like Boney Thornton’s breakout game. I’m worried he wakes up and finally snags the deep pass and burns the defense.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Any of them over 70? In the history of American sports college or pro, have there been any over 70?

We’re a society that puts Grandpa in assisted living and visits once or twice a year, so we don’t know or understand that old age is a thing. Brains atrophy like muscles; energy levels decline precipitously.

Being an NFL HC is not like being a billionaire like Warren Buffett or Bob Kraft who’ve climbed their Mt. Everest and descend nightly to their mansions just below the peak and climb back up in the morning.

Bill has said on numerous occasions that every football season starts anew. A race to the top of the mountain starting at the base against competition as steep as the climb.

Stick your blind hero worship up your arse and accept what the facts have been screaming at you for years at this point - 72 year old Bill Belichick isn’t up to beating his competition up the mountain anymore.
Dusty Baker won at 73 and Bruce Ariens was 68. I didn't look hard since I found two examples quickly but I didn't find NHL and NBA.

I’m not sure you’re going to like Boney Thornton’s breakout game. I’m worried he wakes up and finally snags the deep pass and burns the defense.

BoneyT's the least of my worries; has the twig even seen snow yet? That reminds me...

During one of my trips to the Philippines, a friend & I took our poontangs to one of the theaters on Magsaysay to see the movie A Change of Seasons with Anthony Hopkins, Bo Derek & Shirley MacLaine... Its one screen was quite big, naturally; so when the scenes in which they're in Vermont at a ski resort began with a panoramic view of the snow-covered hills, there was a very palpable gasp throughout... We asked the girls what the fuss was, and they replied that they've never seen all that snow in one place before! My bro (who's from Wisconsin) & I looked at each other and just smiled.. Good times; good times.

Kinda doubt that Boney will be doing much smiling tomorrow...

a lot of the same posters so opposed to letting Bill go for dysfunction and incompetence citing the last 25 years.

are the same who defended Bill for pushing brady out the door citing "its not about what brady did in the past!"

a lot of the same posters so opposed to letting Bill go for dysfunction and incompetence citing the last 25 years.

are the same who defended Bill for pushing brady out the door citing "its not about what brady did in the past!"
I didn't want to see Brady go and I don't want to see Bill go.

Carroll was not a good HC for the Pats.
Maybe but he's still a good coach. His NE record (.563) > Bill the last 4 years (.439). Never had a losing season (Bill 3 out of 4). Made playoffs 2 out 3 years (Bill 1 out 4). Better playoff record (1-2) (Bill 0-1).

HCs in their 70s:
(Age) Head Co: Record (Win %) [playoffs]

(72) Marv Levy: 26-22 (.542) [1-2]
(72) George Halas: 21-18 (.538) [0-0]
(72) Pete Carroll: 24-26 (.480) [0-1]
(71) Bill Belichick 12-21 (.364) [0-0]
(73) Romeo Crennel: 4-8 (.333) [0-0]
Totals: 87-95 (.478) [1-3]
Unless we think that Belichick is going to defy the laws of physics, the future doesn't look promising.

Oldest HC to win a SB/Championship:
George Halas: 68 yrs 331 days
Bruce Arians: 68 yrs 127 days (w/GOAT)

Last time HC won a SB:
Belichick was 66 (w/GOAT)
Coughlin was 65
Andy Reid was 64 (still active)
Vermeil was 63
Carroll was 62
Ewbank was 61
Walsh was 57

Most of the other great coaches won in their 40s or 50s.

At some point reality has to set it and people need to realize that the odds of Belichick winning another SB are slim to none. Even bringing the team to a playoff win is a long shot. The NFL is >100 years old and history is not on Bill's side.

It's time to move on.

Maybe but he's still a good coach. His NE record (.563) > Bill the last 4 years (.439). Never had a losing season (Bill 3 out of 4). Made playoffs 2 out 3 years (Bill 1 out 4). Better playoff record (1-2) (Bill 0-1).

HCs in their 70s:
(Age) Head Co: Record (Win %) [playoffs]

(72) Marv Levy: 26-22 (.542) [1-2]
(72) George Halas: 21-18 (.538) [0-0]
(72) Pete Carroll: 24-26 (.480) [0-1]
(71) Bill Belichick 12-21 (.364) [0-0]
(73) Romeo Crennel: 4-8 (.333) [0-0]
Totals: 87-95 (.478) [1-3]
Unless we think that Belichick is going to defy the laws of physics, the future doesn't look promising.

Oldest HC to win a SB/Championship:
George Halas: 68 yrs 331 days
Bruce Arians: 68 yrs 127 days (w/GOAT)

Last time HC won a SB:
Belichick was 66 (w/GOAT)
Coughlin was 65
Andy Reid was 64 (still active)
Vermeil was 63
Carroll was 62
Ewbank was 61
Walsh was 57

Most of the other great coaches won in their 40s or 50s.

At some point reality has to set it and people need to realize that the odds of Belichick winning another SB are slim to none. Even bringing the team to a playoff win is a long shot. The NFL is >100 years old and history is not on Bill's side.

It's time to move on.
What I see above is more than half the SBs over the last 25 years have been won by a coach older than 62.

What I see above is more than half the SBs over the last 25 years have been won by a coach older than 62.
I count 10 in their 60s and 14 in their 40s & 50s and 1 in his 30s. Bill is 72 next season.

I count 10 in their 60s and 14 in their 40s & 50s and 1 in his 30s. Bill is 72 next season.
Ten not enough for you...I counted all 6 of Bill's as being in his 60s he has so many of them sometimes I get confused my bad.

6 is a large number of Super Bowl wins don't you think.

Ten not enough for you
I wasn't making the point that HCs don't win in their 60s, but rather that no one has won beyond 68 in over 100 years. I stand by my point.

It only took 57 years for Arians to win it again at 68 and still couldn't beat Halas' record from 1963.

Injury report says that Thornton isn't gonna make the Jets game. So his record for receiving yards for an entire season will stand at a grand total of 91. Somehow this wonder-BUST pick of BB's has even managed to underachieve N'Keal's record for futility which was a paltry 105 receiving yards for the season. Thornton and Harry look like two peas in a pod! BB sure know show to pick em! :poop:

Stats of shame NFL reference:
Harry: N'Keal Harry Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Thornton: Tyquan Thornton Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Draft, College | Pro-Football-Reference.com

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back