PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

'Voted off the island': Inside Bill Belichick's failed job hunt (ESPN report)

-That Bill has more allies in the media to smear Kraft? Thinking that’s a stretch.
-If in fact Bill was trying to embarrass Mac and or Kraft by pulling him, wouldn’t that potentially say that Bill never wanted Mac from the git go?
- Agree they probly never liked each other. Come from different spectrums of leadership.
- Absolutely more important than Brady at the beginning. Equal as it progressed.
-Agree he did cause his downfall at the end. Ended up playing homage to the great Icarus

- Bill has plenty of allies in the press. I never said he had more. Bill has plenty of ways to get his point of view or spin or whatever into the media. It isn't a stretch.

- There has never been a single report that Belichick didn't want Mac. There is one report where he preferred to wait to take a QB in the second or third round, but never that he was against drafting Mac. And Belichick gushing over Mac in the late winter of 2022 tells me that he was probably satisfied with Mac until the disaster of the Patricia experiment happened. Mac was not the only one who went into the doghouse pretty quickly that season. Hoyer was basically forced out of the team for what looked to be a relatively minor concussion and Bourne was in the dog house all year.

- Bill has plenty of allies in the press. I never said he had more. Bill has plenty of ways to get his point of view or spin or whatever into the media. It isn't a stretch.

- There has never been a single report that Belichick didn't want Mac. There is one report where he preferred to wait to take a QB in the second or third round, but never that he was against drafting Mac. And Belichick gushing over Mac in the late winter of 2022 tells me that he was probably satisfied with Mac until the disaster of the Patricia experiment happened. Mac was not the only one who went into the doghouse pretty quickly that season. Hoyer was basically forced out of the team for what looked to be a relatively minor concussion and Bourne was in the dog house all year.
And just remember, it is not just fans or disgruntled players that were confused/frustrated with Patricia/Judge. Plenty of other analysts were calling the PLAY DESIGN trash. Not the players' performance. The design. The thing that is solely the responsibility of the coaches.

Wasn't a dislike, it was an ugh for sticking up for Bob and being nauseated that anyone would get upset about him. Probably too strong but I hate the 'eh both sides are wrong, the truth will be somewhere in the middle' thing.

Wasn't a dislike, it was an ugh for sticking up for Bob and being nauseated that anyone would get upset about him. Probably too strong but I hate the 'eh both sides are wrong, the truth will be somewhere in the middle' thing.

Oh don't get me wrong, I dislike Bob more than anyone in this situation. I just am weary of the... Weight of RK's input as purported by the article. **** Kraft lmao.

I kept posting that Bob and Jonathan Kraft are both a POS. I hope that the Patriots dynasty, winning seasons, are never relived during the remainder of the Kraft family ownership.

I kept posting that Bob and Jonathan Kraft are both a POS. I hope that the Patriots dynasty, winning seasons, are never relived during the remainder of the Kraft family ownership.
bye.gif

I.M.O Leave Coach Bill and Robert Kraft out cha mouth press. Stop! Jets 55 years, Miami 50 years, Buffalo never. No Super bowls. There is NO WAY I would try to lay Shame on these guys. As Patriots fans we should stay out of this controversy! It's called Respect. They did what they had to do to win it all. We are now seeing how extremely difficult it is to get back on top against 31 other teams. Don't! My take would be keep Bill on TV. I need to listen to him explain how he did it.

And just remember, it is not just fans or disgruntled players that were confused/frustrated with Patricia/Judge. Plenty of other analysts were calling the PLAY DESIGN trash. Not the players' performance. The design. The thing that is solely the responsibility of the coaches.
Yeah, but. Bill has done weird things over the years, and if it works he is a genius. Brady covered up a lot of these things. If Patricia was tossed out there as OC for the pats Brady would continue to win, Bill would be called amazing, patricia would get another job offer and nobody would bat an eye.

That's a very strange thing to say considering we can expect the Kraft family to own this team for decades to come.

Yeah, but. Bill has done weird things over the years, and if it works he is a genius. Brady covered up a lot of these things. If Patricia was tossed out there as OC for the pats Brady would continue to win, Bill would be called amazing, patricia would get another job offer and nobody would bat an eye.
In theory yes for sure.

I don't think Brady would tolerate that for real. I bet he'd demand BB get Patricia out of that role. Bill would listen to him, as he should.

The idea BB didn't want to draft Jones or was forced to do so is complete nonsense.

In theory yes for sure.

I don't think Brady would tolerate that for real. I bet he'd demand BB get Patricia out of that role. Bill would listen to him, as he should.
Brady did Tolerate at least one year with an unnamed OC if not multiple. I don't think either McD or BoB got the titles their first years. Obviously this isn't the same as Matty P but it does go to show that he was open to a lot more than Mac ever was.

Naming Matty P OC was one of Bill's worst 2 or 3 decisions but the actions of certain offensive players tanked the chances that this could ever have worked. Instead trying to grow with their coach like any first time OC would need they shut him out because he previously held the title DC.

Bill clearly should have been more aware of how it would play out it's not like everyone didn't see it coming pretty much right from when it was announced. But it still never got a chance it was just rejected outright by everyone except Bill and Matty P.

You should find a billionaire owner you like and root for that team, I root for the players, don't give a **** who owns the team.

That's a very strange thing to say considering we can expect the Kraft family to own this team for decades to come.
Maybe he can't stand the hear from the embarrassments

You should find a billionaire owner you like and root for that team, I root for the players, don't give a **** who owns the team.
Good for you, I root for the team, that says ownership.

So, Bob decided to derail Bill's chances at another HC job. That's a strange way to show appreciation to the man who coached your team to 9 SBs and 6 SB wins.

It really doesn't look good for the future of the team if the Krafts have decided to be more involved with the football decisions.

And I hope the Falcons fall off a cliff.
Agreed, while I believe it's a bunch of BS..
I looked at the whole picture. Bill was given a recent extension last season. The process was sped up so ultimately it led to a mutual parting. There were also other teams who also didn't hire Bill so in that case I guess RK called them as well..

Rich Mcay is the reason the Falcons didn't hire Bill, as breer reported. He felt that the entire staff would have to be changed and bills people brought in. He's the one who convinced blank.

In this case I think both sides hold water.

It's no secret Kraft resents Bill, big time. It's not even debatable at this point. Anyone who calls Kraft privately for a BB reference is going to get an earful of bitterness.

On the other hand, it's also not hard to imagine teams passing on him based mostly on his performance from 2019-2023.

Both things can be true (and imo both likely are).
I appreciate your analysis.

What I'll add is what the article says, that the way owners have changed since the last time BB looked for a job and that they "now reject the fear and leverage that fueled New England's dynasty".

So, they simply aren't looking for a person like BB any more.

Kraft wants to buddy up and have dinners with his employees, especially the coaches and QBs. Maybe invite a couple rappers and DJs to dinner with them.

I think this too is true.

The way the article put it, owners are looking for "collaboration and coordination".

Perhaps having relatively frequent dinners with the owner and a few of his B-list celeb friends is something one just has to do these days.

According to the article, BB's snarky hard-ass "philosophy and ethos" is no longer wanted.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back