PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jets Owner: Revis unlikely to sign before start of season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a year away from football will effect either of those at all. Once he's willing to miss any games at all this year, how those teams feel about him will already be determined and, given that he's only about 25 years old, his skill level should only be effected by whether or not he spends the off-timekeeping up his fitness level, just as it would during a traditional offseason.

I'd have to disagree with this. If you sit out a couple of games and come back in then its kind of not so important but if a guy sits out the whole season its quite clear that he is not a competitive football player in my book. He may be great at what he does but he is missing the passion and as the years go by I'd be worried that this guy will find ways to miss games when it doesn't suit him.

And a player has to regress by not playing a whole season too. I don't see any way you can stay at the same level without playing a competitive game for 18 months or something like that.

Of course there are exceptions but in general I do think that sitting out a full season will affect have a detrimental affect on a player's skills and how he is perceived by others.

I only have a nitpick with the bolded. We should all remember, now, that it was the Jets who approached Revis first and that it was the Jets coach who has repeatedly said that Revis is the best he's ever seen. Revis is only "perceiving" his financial worth because the Jets have led him to see it. This is entirely a monster that they have created.

i know you called me a homo and want me banned for joking with ya,but here me out anyways.i read an article about revis from one of those football statistics sites.the article claims that revis had the best season ever,that a cb ever had since they have keeping track of stats.revis absolutely knew the kinda season he had.everybody knew.revis became a household name(maybe not that far)commentators,newspapers,football sites talked this guy up.big time.lets forget about rex saying what he said about revis.imo,it is one small stone in the pile in the revis negotiations.keep in mind,his uncle is sean gilbert.
now with all this in mind,do you honestly beleive that revis wasnt going to approach the jets demanding a raise?tanny did the right thing.the smart thing.he approached revis,escentially beating revis to the punch,hopeing that revis might look at that as a sign of good faith

I don't have a problem with what Revis is doing. The team dangled the carrot in front of him and he's taking it and running with it. The fault for this mess lays squarely at the feet of the Jets. There's a much smaller chance that this is going on right now if they don't blow smoke up his ass about how good he is and make a big deal about approaching him with a new contract in the offseason.

i dont have a problem with what revis is doing,either.its the only tool he has to get as much money as he can.he is not hurting anybody or anything,right now.if he holds out until game 1,then i have a problem because then he is hurting the team.
i dont agree with your assesment of the situation.rex wasnt the only one to blow smoke.as a matter of fact,ther was alot of smoke blowing going on.imo,the jets and revis would be exactly where they are right now if rex and tanny didnt say a word.revis was already dreaming of how to spend his "aso" money even before tanny said a word

i dont have a problem with what revis is doing,either.its the only tool he has to get as much money as he can.he is not hurting anybody or anything,right now.if he holds out until game 1,then i have a problem because then he is hurting the team.
i dont agree with your assesment of the situation.rex wasnt the only one to blow smoke.as a matter of fact,ther was alot of smoke blowing going on.imo,the jets and revis would be exactly where they are right now if rex and tanny didnt say a word.revis was already dreaming of how to spend his "aso" money even before tanny said a word
You are creating a very Pollyannaish stance where no one is to blame and there is no problem because it isnt game 1 yet.
There is a tremendous difference between a player getting accolades and a coach pimping him in the media to put the organization in a position where the player can walk in and show clips of a blowhard coach telling the media that the player is basically perfect. Its terrible coaching.
The job of a coach isnt to impress the media and fans and convince them the team is better than its results. Rex doesnt understand that. He places more value on PR and image than the other 31 HCs combined.
His job is to make his team better. Darrelle Revis is not a perfect player. He has flaws, and he can be a better player if he works hard to improve his weakest areas. His coach is communicating to him that he has arrived and in fact is above training camp, practice and conditioning, since he told the media that he will start day 1 if he shows up the day before.
This is clearly an attempt to influence the opinion of the media, and it is done to the detriment of his team. The correct attitude for Ryan to portray is that the player is missing a lot, falling behind, and hurting the team by not being there. But that might result in the media reducing their expectations of the Jets. And Rex can't have that

You are creating a very Pollyannaish stance where no one is to blame and there is no problem because it isnt game 1 yet.
There is a tremendous difference between a player getting accolades and a coach pimping him in the media to put the organization in a position where the player can walk in and show clips of a blowhard coach telling the media that the player is basically perfect. Its terrible coaching.
The job of a coach isnt to impress the media and fans and convince them the team is better than its results. Rex doesnt understand that. He places more value on PR and image than the other 31 HCs combined.
His job is to make his team better. Darrelle Revis is not a perfect player. He has flaws, and he can be a better player if he works hard to improve his weakest areas. His coach is communicating to him that he has arrived and in fact is above training camp, practice and conditioning, since he told the media that he will start day 1 if he shows up the day before.
This is clearly an attempt to influence the opinion of the media, and it is done to the detriment of his team. The correct attitude for Ryan to portray is that the player is missing a lot, falling behind, and hurting the team by not being there. But that might result in the media reducing their expectations of the Jets. And Rex can't have that
This is what makes Rex the perfect coach for the Jets. I'm not commenting on his actual coaching ability, which others can judge. What I am talking about is his carnival like personality. His ability to grab media attention in sooo many ways. His larger than life personality and physical stature. He is perfect for the Jets in New York and the media circus created in part by the City itself, but in large part by ESPN located down the road just a bit. He fits them to a tee, if nothing else it sure is entertaining to watch.

This is clearly an attempt to influence the opinion of the media, and it is done to the detriment of his team. The correct attitude for Ryan to portray is that the player is missing a lot, falling behind, and hurting the team by not being there. But that might result in the media reducing their expectations of the Jets. And Rex can't have that.

Read between the lines, Andy. Wrecks is doing as instructed by his boss. His No. 1 job is to drum up PSL sales. Building a long-term winner is a distant second.

i know you called me a homo and want me banned for joking with ya,but here me out anyways.i read an article about revis

Called you a homer, not a homo. Don't get those two confused, like I do. On the other hand I am glad that you can read. Learning to write a coherent sentence is next.

Last edited:
Called you a homer, not a homo. Don't get those two confused, like I do. On the other hand I am glad that you can read. Learning to write a coherent sentence is next.

i know. trying to read these jet fans posts is hurting my head.

this is message board.people tend to say things they normally wouldnt say otherwise.i didnt get confused.ya.i know my typing and writing skills could use some work,as well as my spelling,but my world still turns.i am pretty sure it was coherent enough for you to understand

there is no point to even add a rebutal to this statement.we are as far apart with our oppinions as possible.

This is what makes Rex the perfect coach for the Jets. I'm not commenting on his actual coaching ability, which others can judge. What I am talking about is his carnival like personality. His ability to grab media attention in sooo many ways. His larger than life personality and physical stature. He is perfect for the Jets in New York and the media circus created in part by the City itself, but in large part by ESPN located down the road just a bit. He fits them to a tee, if nothing else it sure is entertaining to watch.

i also find him very entertaining

Read between the lines, Andy. Wrecks is doing as instructed by his boss. His No. 1 job is to drum up PSL sales. Building a long-term winner is a distant second.

you cant possibly beleive this

Woody cares about the business side, period. Lip service towards winning as long as it's congruent with boosting revenue. Right now the tool needs to sell those expensive PSL turkeys. Everything he's doing, Hard Knocks, Super Bowl bravado talk, and so on is aimed at selling PSLs which he desperately needs to do to cover his stadium investment costs. He's hired the perfect fat foil as his bombastic HC to accomplish the task of energizing the mindless legions of JETS fans breeders, desperate for success and congenitaly (they're New Yawkiz) unable to discern a false bravado sham from the real thing. Not to worry, by NEXT spring these morons will have forgotten this latest failure of a season and be loudly spouting away...again.

this is message board.people tend to say things they normally wouldnt say otherwise.i didnt get confused.ya.i know my typing and writing skills could use some work,as well as my spelling,but my world still turns.i am pretty sure it was coherent enough for you to understand
I have a sneaking suspicion on your world there are edges and you'll go over the side of it soon enough.

there is no point to even add a rebutal to this statement.we are as far apart with our oppinions as possible.

It looks pretty much right on the mark to me.

RE being apart on opinions: What did you expect when you signed up for an account at a site called Patsfans.com?

It's plain as day. If you believe otherwise -- which you apparently do -- you've fallen for the charade hook, line and sinker.

It's plain as day. If you believe otherwise -- which you apparently do -- you've fallen for the charade hook, line and sinker.

Charade is the perfect word.

I think rex is a bid Pink Floyd fan, considering he must find inspiration in their lyrics. I think his reading comprehension is a little off, like many tied to the njj.

"Big man, pig man, ha ha charade you are.
You well heeled big wheel, ha ha charade you are.
And when your hand is on your heart,
You're nearly a good laugh,
Almost a joker,
With your head down in the pig bin,
Saying "Keep on digging."
Pig stain on your fat chin.
What do you hope to find.
When you're down in the pig mine.
You're nearly a laugh,
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry. "

And why not? What havethe Jests done to indicate to you that they're building for long-term success.

See, this is what makes me laugh at the Green Beans. Even if all the planets were to align this season and the Jets get to the Super Bowl, as all the fans expect, this team is due for a major turnover next year. The FO has loaded up on THIS year, and as has been mentioned, Woody is swimming in loads of unsold PSLs. The best any Jest fan can hope for is one and done. What a pathetic franchise.

Woody cares about the business side, period. Lip service towards winning as long as it's congruent with boosting revenue. Right now the tool needs to sell those expensive PSL turkeys. Everything he's doing, Hard Knocks, Super Bowl bravado talk, and so on is aimed at selling PSLs which he desperately needs to do to cover his stadium investment costs. He's hired the perfect fat foil as his bombastic HC to accomplish the task of energizing the mindless legions of JETS fans breeders, desperate for success and congenitaly (they're New Yawkiz) unable to discern a false bravado sham from the real thing. Not to worry, by NEXT spring these morons will have forgotten this latest failure of a season and be loudly spouting away...again.

Take the velvet gloves off and tell us what you really think, PWP... Vicious but sadly all too true assessment of the Woody Johnson era JETS. Again, the reason why BB tried in vain to warn young egotistical Eric it always ends badly in the Swamp for everyone but Woody....

Take the velvet gloves off and tell us what you really think, PWP... Vicious but sadly all too true assessment of the Woody Johnson era JETS. Again, the reason why BB tried in vain to warn young egotistical Eric it always ends badly in the Swamp for everyone but Woody....

On NFLN last night they had a brief clip of the "Hard Knocks" kickoff rally the Green Beans staged in downtown New York, complete with cheerleaders, face-painting for kids, etc. (Wonder if they told the kids that it's on at 10 p.m. and they can't watch it, partly because of the hour and partly because of Wrecks' flatulence/potty mouth.) Anyway, Woody Johnson was on the stage and orated how the 'Beans are "America's favorite team" and the NFL's "most interesting team," etc., etc. The odd thing about that was you could see in his face that he was practically imploring people to believe him. He truly looks like a desperate man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes