PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Favre on plane to Minnesota, expected to sign $12M, one-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, conveniently left out Jackson, who is still developing but last year had a 9-2 TD-INT ration and a 94.5 QB rating.

Yeah, good reason to panic and throw $12 million at the 40 year old Hamlet who can't learn plays.

First, Favre is probably going to throw more touchdowns this year than Jackson or Rosenfels (possibly both put together?) ever would. Second, Favre most likely already knows most of the plays having played in that system every single year of his career minus one.

Hmmm, conveniently left out Jackson, who is still developing but last year had a 9-2 TD-INT ration and a 94.5 QB rating.

Yeah, good reason to panic and throw $12 million at the 40 year old Hamlet who can't learn plays.

Jackson is so good that Minnesota signed RosenCopter to replace him, and I'm the one being "convenient"?

Thanks for the laugh.

He's a perfect example of what I'm talking about: the Vikings were 2-3 with him and 8-3 with Frerotte.

Last edited:
First, Favre is probably going to throw more touchdowns this year than Jackson or Rosenfels (possibly both put together?) ever would.

Yes, but how many of those TD passes will be to the opponent? :rolleyes:

Some team is willing to take a chance on him instead of Sage Rosenfels and Tavaris.

Do people not understand that? It's Favre or Rosenfels/Jackson. Even people who want to crow about Rodgers in Green Bay can't pull that rabbit out of the Minnesota.

It's Favre or this guy:

YouTube - Sage Rosenfels Helicopter hurdle

I take a chance on the senior citizen in that matchup, every time.

On paper that argument looks to be a simple choice. Legend versus journeyman. Sure Favre will throw more picks but he'll offset that by making plays. It is the same argument Jets fans made a year ago when they compared Favre and Pennington.

The result was a disastrous season in NY which got the coach fired and Favre released, then cost 40m plus and a bunch of picks to try to patch up the QB spot with Sanchez. Pennington had runner up MVP season and led Miami to the division title. The choice is one I doubt anyone in NY would think was a good one anymore.

Yes, but how many of those TD passes will be to the opponent? :rolleyes:

We've already covered that Favre will throw INTs, or have you not read the entire thread? Yes, he will throw INTs. But again (for the 12th time I believe?), Minny's defense is good enough to take the sting off of those INTs. But please, since this is your criteria for deciding who is and isn't a good quarterback, name me one QB in the last few years who didn't throw a boneheaded INT.

On paper that argument looks to be a simple choice. Legend versus journeyman. Sure Favre will throw more picks but he'll offset that by making plays. It is the same argument Jets fans made a year ago when they compared Favre and Pennington.

The result was a disastrous season in NY which got the coach fired and Favre released, then cost 40m plus and a bunch of picks to try to patch up the QB spot with Sanchez. Pennington had runner up MVP season and led Miami to the division title. The choice is one I doubt anyone in NY would think was a good one anymore.

Favre had the team at 8-3 with 20 TDs and 13 INTs in a system that he's never played in and was just fresh off of taking out the last unbeaten team in the NFL before he got hurt. Prior to that injury, New York damn sure thought that was a good decision. The combo of the injury along with his old body playing in freezing weather was what sank the Jest last season. He's since had surgery to repair it.

Minnesota's offense could be scary this year, as long as Favre focuses and keeps the "gunslinging" to a minimum. You can't really fault him for last year, he was in a Jets uniform...that team is just cursed no matter what happens.

I do find it pretty convient that he turned down the Vikings the days Vick got reinstated and decided he wanted to play days after the attention on Vick died down. It's just interesting is all...

I thought the return of Tom Brady would have been the big story in Week 1. ****, it may not even be in the Top 5 by the time the season starts.

Interestingly though, there is no impact of this news on the Packers forum. The last Favre related post made there was on 8/4. Looks like Packers fans have (wisely) moved on.

Packer Fan Forum
That's because they are discussing it in their NFL forum. ;) Half the topics on the first page are about Favre.

Other readers say that folks already are offering $200 or more for game tickets with a face value of $76.

Wow... now suddenly the $20 I paid for four lower level seats worth $104 each really seems like a steal for this Friday's game against the Chiefs.

We've already covered that Favre will throw INTs, or have you not read the entire thread? Yes, he will throw INTs. But again (for the 12th time I believe?), Minny's defense is good enough to take the sting off of those INTs. But please, since this is your criteria for deciding who is and isn't a good quarterback, name me one QB in the last few years who didn't throw a boneheaded INT.

Hey, I'm not saying that. Even the great TB has thrown his share. I'm just unimpressed right now with this decision. I think that the Vikings will regret this, and I feel Favre has pretty much shown himself to be someone who could care less about anyone not named Brett Favre.

The Vikings have enough problems to try and sort out without having the Favre Soap Opera and personal-crisis-generating machine tossed into their laps too.

That's how I see it. I may be wrong, Favre might do well, and T.O. might leave football halfway through the season to enter a Tibetan Monastary.

But I see this whole situation as a 16-week trainwreck that is unfair to the fans and unfair to the rest of the league.

Just my opinion, nuthin' more.. :)

Why would it matter that Peterson can't block when you say yourself that, "Chester Taylor is the one who is going to see most of the action on passing downs"? Number two, name one RB that Favre has had in his career that you would say is better than Adrian Peterson. Just one.

Because it means "he has the best RB ever" is pretty much irrelevant, because Chester Taylor isn't that guy, and if they try to pass while Peterson is out there playing Matador, hes going to be running from DEs/LBs.

I didn't say that his receivers now are better than what he had at Green Bay. But they are certainly better than what he had in New York.
I disagree. Coles and Cotchery are both as good, if not better than Berrian. Berrian is fast, but he can't catch. After that, the Vikings have NOTHING.

Bottom line is that Favre can get the job done with this bunch. And you can't judge Percy Harvin quite yet. He's going to line up at receiver and come out of the backfield (where he is most deadly in the passing game) at the same time. Trust me, I'm a lifelong Gators fan so I know what he is capable of there. Harvin is also going to take a lot of the heat off of Bernard Berrian. With Peterson and Taylor, and a Favre-Berrian-Harvin trio, defenses are going to have a little bit of trouble with that offense.

Wonderful, but I doubt Harvin makes a difference this year. Rookie receivers just don't make an impact, unless they're Randy Moss.

Minnesota's offense could be scary this year, as long as Favre focuses and keeps the "gunslinging" to a minimum

Except hes never shown any ability to do that. He won't just completely change his play style overnight.

Tavaris Jackson is not a good quarterback thus the signing of sage rosenfels, I mean let's be real tavaris is the defense's personal ATM(automatic turnover machine)

How many wins does sage have under his belt? Ultimately QB are measured by the contributions they make to the team's win column. Brett is a winner and that's what Minnesota really needs under center they're obviously a running team with an above average D. They just need someone who has experience and doesn't release urine in clutch situations unlke tavaris and sage.

I'm not a fan of favre's James brown hot tub impression either. but it's not a tough decision between him and what they currently have at QB and IMO if you disagree with this your more mad at favre's antics than the actual signing. . The NFL is a "wait your turn" league and when you look around and see your teams on the precipice than you carpe diem at all cost it's a small window if your not the steelers or new England patriots. A

Favre had the team at 8-3 with 20 TDs and 13 INTs in a system that he's never played in and was just fresh off of taking out the last unbeaten team in the NFL before he got hurt. Prior to that injury, New York damn sure thought that was a good decision. The combo of the injury along with his old body playing in freezing weather was what sank the Jest last season. He's since had surgery to repair it.

4. Will He Be Any Good?
Honestly? Fat chance. Is he going to be better than Rosenfels and Jackson. Maybe. Probably. But it's not 1998 anymore.

Even with a right arm that's been surgically repaired this offseason, what goes on between Favre's ears hasn't been fixed. He will continue to play with the same disregard for game situations that's marked the latter half of his career. Why? Because he keeps getting rewarded for it.

There's a tendency to rewrite recent history with Favre and say that the Jets folded up like a lounge chair because Favre's arm hurt. That's not true. He threw 22 touchdowns and 22 interceptions last year. Included in that is a six-touchdown day against the Cardinals in a 56-35 win. He threw two touchdowns and nine interceptions in the Jets' final five games. New York went 1-4 in those games, and the lone win came because the Bills imploded down the stretch.

And now, without offseason training, mini-camps or most of training camp, he's going to come in and find immediate synchronicity with his receivers? Please. He doesn't want to work that hard. He just wants to ball. And the Vikings are only too happy to let him.

Curran: Favre got his way in signing with Minnesota - NFL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

And, ironically, that is what everyone else is doing in this thread. They're not looking at the entire team around Favre before judging this as a good signing or not so good signing. Favre has the best RB he has had in his entire career behind him plus a receiving corps that he can get the job done with and one of the better offensive lines in the league to boot. This is a good signing for the Vikings. Favre does throw interceptions but I guarantee you that he throws more touchdowns this year than either Rosenfels or Jackson would have. Plus, like I mentioned before, the Vikings defense will take some of the sting off of those turnovers.

I don't think that adding or subtracting Favre changes my opinion on the Vikes that much at all. If we see the riverboat gambler who makes too many turnovers or the old Favre who can make some great plays, than maybe. But I expect what we have had 4 of the last 5 years which is a mixture of both who makes him pretty average most of the time, a HOF some of the time and a liability others times.

iam looking fwdto the dumb childress press conf how he spins it and justifies his players after he said exact opposite last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents