PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Favre on plane to Minnesota, expected to sign $12M, one-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the NFL Enquirer:

This is going to be fun, as long as the old man can stay healthy.

I agree 100%. What's with all the angst over this? This is fun to watch! It's no skin off the Pats backs and may actually help them if Brett can beat the Steelers in October.

Relax, everybody! Pop open a beer! Enjoy the spectacle!

Brady used to be great. That was BEFORE he turned 32 and BEFORE the tore his ACL.

Maybe the Patriots should just cut him now.

If you don't know the difference between 32 and 40 for an athlete, then I can't help you there.

If you want to compare how Brady performs this year at $5 mill salary ($14.6 mill cap) versus how Favre stumbles making $12 mill., then please, Deus, let us have this conversation continue through the season!!!

Didn't Favre play in GB for most of his career (especially the best years)?

Yes. I'm not sure where you think your argument is going, but yes he did play there most of his career. He probably did better in the cold weather there because he was younger.

That must be why they were 13-3 again last year without Favre, right?

Oh, wait, now toss out the "Rodgers had the same type of numbers" argument which fails to take into consideration the very thing that we point out about Brady all the time: it's about more than just the numbers.

We went through this before. The Packers gave up nearl 2 field goals more a game in points while scoring only 1 point less in 2008 compared to 2007. The Packers' problems last year had more to do with the defense than the offense. The Packers are not switching to a 3-4 and brought in Dom Capers, and drafted two defensive players in the first round because they felt Aaron Rodgers and the offense were the problem last year.

Favre had 18 TDs and 12 INTs when he got hurt. Let's not forget Kris Jenkins was a monster last year the first 11 games and he helped the defense be very dominant including six turnovers against the Cards that set up a short field all day for Favre to get 6 TDs. Look at some of Favre's numbers in some of the wins to that 8-3 record:

Cincy 189 yards, 1 TDs, 2 INTs, 1 fumble (won 26-14)
St Louis 167 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 1 fumble (won 47-3 and T Jones had 149 yards and 3 TDs)

You put too much emphasis on Favre and not enough on the entire team. Their defense also fell apart down the stretch.

Personally, I feel they won several games early despite poor or average play by Favre. Teams win games, not QBs. Even Brady and Manning can't affect a team like you suggest. I argue with another QB the Jets could have easily had anywhere between 7-9 wins over that same 11 game stretch.

I'm not putting any more emphasis on Favre than the people using his numbers to bash him.

As for Brady and Manning not being able to affect a team like I suggest, last year suggests otherwise. We've seen historically that qood quarterbacks can, and do, have that sort of impact on teams.

Last edited:
This is awesome!!!

I believe that we can both agree that Brett Favre is going to be perceived as much more of a threat than either Tarvaris Jackson or Rosenfels. Based on that, and I ask this again: Who is the better QB option for the Vikings that is available on the market right now? You'd probably be hard pressed to find an answer..

Rosenfels and Jackson potentially have upside, and can help the team in the future. Favre doesn't.

Rosefels and Jackson also don't cost you $12M of cap space, which could be used to extend guys. Also, according to DVOA, last year:

Favre: -2.2%
Rosenfels: +3.7%
and..wow:
Jackson: +10%

Now, Jackson and Rosenfels only threw 160,180 passes each last year, as compared to Favre's 560, so theres some sample size issues, but there's no sample size issues with Favre's below average play

We went through this before. The Packers gave up nearl 2 field goals more a game in points while scoring only 1 point less in 2008 compared to 2007. The Packers' problems last year had more to do with the defense than the offense. The Packers are not switching to a 3-4 and brought in Dom Capers, and drafted two defensive players in the first round because they felt Aaron Rodgers and the offense were the problem last year.

You were wrong because you were incomplete before, and you're wrong for the same reasoning now. As I noted earlier, players aren't just numbers. Again, Patriots fans scream that from the rooftops when it's Manning v. Brady. Now that they want to bash someone, that reality just disappears. Needless to say, the Favre bashers aren't going to stop bashing him, so this is a waste of time. I look forward to some interesting drama involving the NFC North, whether Favre is great, mediocre or terrible.

Enjoy the pointless bashing!

Last edited:
I'm not putting any more emphasis on Favre than the people using his numbers to bash him.

As for Brady and Manning not being able to affect a team like I suggest, last year suggests otherwise. We've seen historically that qood quarterbacks can, and do, have that sort of impact on teams.

Except, Historically good QBs, like Manning and Brady the last couple years, have positive DVOAs. Favre did not last year.

You were wrong because you were incomplete before, and you're wrong for the same reasoning now. As I noted earlier, players aren't just numbers. Again, Patriots fans scream that from the rooftops when it's Manning v. Brady. Now that they want to bash someone, that reality just disappears.

40 years old.

Coming off torn biceps and shoulder in THROWING ARM.

A history of decision making that makes Brittany Spears look like Einstein.

You put too much emphasis on Favre and not enough on the entire team.

And, ironically, that is what everyone else is doing in this thread. They're not looking at the entire team around Favre before judging this as a good signing or not so good signing. Favre has the best RB he has had in his entire career behind him plus a receiving corps that he can get the job done with and one of the better offensive lines in the league to boot. This is a good signing for the Vikings. Favre does throw interceptions but I guarantee you that he throws more touchdowns this year than either Rosenfels or Jackson would have. Plus, like I mentioned before, the Vikings defense will take some of the sting off of those turnovers.

Favre has the best RB he has had in his entire career behind him plus a receiving corps that he can get the job done with and one of the better offensive lines in the league to boot.

No, he does not. Peterson can't block, which means that Chester Taylor is the one who is going to see most of the action on passing downs. And Favre's wide receivers were ALWAYS better than what Minny has right now. Yeah, Harvin is a nice addition, but how many Rookie receivers not named Randy Moss are all that good?

As for Brady and Manning not being able to affect a team like I suggest, last year suggests otherwise. We've seen historically that qood quarterbacks can, in fact, have that sort of impact on teams.

So Brady being out was the reason the Pats replaced Asante Samuel with Deltha O'Neal? It was Brady's injury's fault the Pats gave up the most passing TDs and long passes in the league last year. Last year proved that there were more problems with the Pats than Brady being out.

Besides, last year doesn't prove anything. Brady was replaced with an inexperienced QB who hadn't started since high school and needed a month to a month and a half to get his sea legs and by the second half the season, the Pats had the best offense in the league and the numbers proved it. There is no telling how many games the Pats would have won if Cassel had the experience he had by the end of the season when he took over the reigns when Brady went down. He was a far different QB in December than he was in September.

The December Cassel might have won 2-3 more games in the first half of the season. Cassel might not have thrown that pick against Miami that was the momentum changer in the first game. The Pats might have been able to get into a shootout with San Deigo since their defense was so suspect. The Pats might have beaten the Colts since they only lost by three. All those games might have been won if Cassel played like he did in December and the Pats would have been 14-2.

40 years old.

Coming off torn biceps and shoulder in THROWING ARM.

A history of decision making that makes Brittany Spears look like Einstein.

Some team is willing to take a chance on him instead of Sage Rosenfels and Tavaris.

Do people not understand that? It's Favre or Rosenfels/Jackson. Even people who want to crow about Rodgers in Green Bay can't pull that rabbit out of the Minnesota.

It's Favre or this guy:

YouTube - Sage Rosenfels Helicopter hurdle

I take a chance on the senior citizen in that matchup, every time.

Do people not understand that? It's Favre or Rosenfels/Jackson. Even people who want to crow about Rodgers in Green Bay can't pull that rabbit out of the Minnesota.

It's Favre or this guy:

See my previous post. Rosenfels and Jackson were both better than Favre last year. Seriously.

Do we really need to post a youtube video of Favre throwing the ball straight up in the air?

Last edited:
Some team is willing to take a chance on him instead of Sage Rosenfels and Tavaris.

It's Favre or this guy:

Hmmm, conveniently left out Jackson, who is still developing but last year had a 9-2 TD-INT ration and a 94.5 QB rating.

Yeah, good reason to panic and throw $12 million at the 40 year old Hamlet who can't learn plays.

See my previous post. Rosenfels and Jackson were both better than Favre last year. Seriously.

Do we really need to post a youtube video of Favre throwing the ball straight up in the air?

That lovely screen pass to the Dolphin DE to end the Patriots chances last year was a thing of football beauty. That was some great vision.

No, he does not. Peterson can't block, which means that Chester Taylor is the one who is going to see most of the action on passing downs.

Why would it matter that Peterson can't block when you say yourself that, "Chester Taylor is the one who is going to see most of the action on passing downs"? Number two, name one RB that Favre has had in his career that you would say is better than Adrian Peterson. Just one.

And Favre's wide receivers were ALWAYS better than what Minny has right now. Yeah, Harvin is a nice addition, but how many Rookie receivers not named Randy Moss are all that good?

I didn't say that his receivers now are better than what he had at Green Bay. But they are certainly better than what he had in New York. Bottom line is that Favre can get the job done with this bunch. And you can't judge Percy Harvin quite yet. He's going to line up at receiver and come out of the backfield (where he is most deadly in the passing game) at the same time. Trust me, I'm a lifelong Gators fan so I know what he is capable of there. Harvin is also going to take a lot of the heat off of Bernard Berrian. With Peterson and Taylor, and a Favre-Berrian-Harvin trio, defenses are going to have a little bit of trouble with that offense.

The problem I have is this has become too much of a side show IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes