PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Favre on plane to Minnesota, expected to sign $12M, one-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before he had to play in the cold, he did a pretty good job considering that his top threats were Cotchery and Coles. His body is simply too old to play in the Meadowlands or Lambeau in December and January. He won't have to do that this year.

Except he wasn't any better on the road. Its not the cold, its a stamina issue. His body can't take 16 weeks anymore.

Cotchery and Coles are pretty decent. Not great, but having two good #2s isn't bad. Never seemed to hurt Pennington.

Except he wasn't any better on the road. Its not the cold, its a stamina issue. His body can't take 16 weeks anymore.

Cotchery and Coles are pretty decent. Not great, but having two good #2s isn't bad. Never seemed to hurt Pennington.

I think skipping Training Camp is going to help him a lot in this regard. He's essentially coming into the season fresh.

I think skipping Training Camp is going to help him a lot in this regard. He's essentially coming into the season fresh.

Yeah, it might. But the way the vikings are built, they'd be better off minimizing turnovers, running the ball a ton, and letting the defense put people into hole. Favre won't do that.

Re: OT: Reports: Favre on Vikings plane headed for Minnesota, rumored to join team to

I am clearly in the minority but I think this is entertaining.

I am looking forward to see farve back.

You have to admit this is somewhat comical...:)

I agree. The Favre Circus is a side show. So, why not just sit back and enjoy it?

The mediots who used to kiss Brett's butt are now apoplectic to outdo one another in bashing him. What's not to like in that?

He messed with the Jets last year and probably hastened Mangenius' firing by a season. What's wrong with that?

It has no direct impact on the pats, for good or ill.

Indeed, his presence might be indirectly helpful to the Pats as the Steelers have to play the Vikings at the end of October before Brett's November swoon kicks in; come on, if he gives the Vikings a better chance to hang an L on big Ben and crew, that's all to the good for the Pats and could be important when the Playoff seedings are determined.

Relax. Enjoy. The circus is coming to town and all we have to do is watch until the tent collapses and another team is left in a shambles. No skin off our backs!

it was always about avoiding training camp.he doesnt want practice with mere mortals.now that camp is over he is back
childress is spineless..

it was always about avoiding training camp.he doesnt want practice with mere mortals.now that camp is over he is back
childress is spineless..

of course he's spineless, but that's all part of the fun! This is a joke, a side show; it doesn't help or hurt the Pats (except remotely). It's just fun to watch!

childress is spineless..

he probably has his own elite camp :p

childress is spineless..

Childress is a lousy coach who's job is on the line. If the Vikings stink out the joint this season, Favre will retire having seen his last 2 head coaches fired in each of his final 2 seasons.

Whether Favre gets the job done for the Vikings or he fails miserably, this move makes the NFC North worth watching for the first time in years.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Reports: Favre on Vikings plane headed for Minnesota, rumored to join team to

Replace Adrian Peterson with LaDainian Tomlinson, Chester Taylor with Michael Turner, Philip Rivers with Brett Favre, and Bernard Berrian with Vincent Jackson and you have the '06 Chargers. Again, same make-up with both teams. The Chargers went 14-2 despite having the same perceived "weaknesses" which you are pointing out.

The Chargers only weakness anyone would have pointed out from 2006 was their WRs. That is similar to this year's Vikings but the Chargers All Pro TE still gave them one of the most dangerous weapons in the league in the passing game. The Vikings have no such threat.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/95/252441-ot-nfc-favorite.html#post1437996

I still like the list, but I'm concerned about the Eagles because of the injuries. I'll probably waffle on this right up to the start of the season, in honor or Mr. Favre.

I had and still have the Giants. Their first team looked strong on both sides of the ball for a couple of series last night, except for a botched punt.

I don't think the Favre wildcard is anywhere near as important as the Vick wildcard.

Favre will implode by the end of November; I just don't think he can give any team 16--18 strong games anymore, but he will make them more competitive through October and maybe a little thereafter, IMO.

But, Vick, unless McNabb stumbles and there is a divisive QB controversy (a big "unless," I'll admit), could make a real difference to the Eagles, enough to put them over the top. But, like you, I'm watching the injury picture there.

Last edited:
And he only NEEDS to be a caretaker. If he isn't then that's the fault of Minny's offensive coordinator for wanting to see Favre air it out more than hand it to the best running back in the league. Finally, who would you rather have overseeing your offense: Favre or either Jackson or Rosenfels? The answer is simple for me.

And therein lies the hole in your argument.

You completely contradicted yourself there.

If all the QB in Minn. has to do is be a "caretaker", then get a QB who can "take care of the football".

If you think Brett Favre is the kind of QB who takes care of the football, then I have some prime property in Nevada to sell you. He's like a guy with uncontrollable Parkinsons shakes being signed to be a brain micro-surgeon.

Their coach, Major Dad, is now officially toast.

Last edited:

If all the QB in Minn. has to do is be a "caretaker", then get a QB who can "take care of the football".

If you think Brett Favre is the kind of QB who takes care of the football, then I have some prime property in Nevada to sell you. He's like a guy with uncontrollable Parkinsons shakes being signed to be a brain micro-surgeon.

Darn. I was hoping BB would destroy him when the Vikings come to town next season. :D

From the NFL Enquirer:

A reader in the Twin Cities says that KSTP-TV is covering the event like it's a slow-speed Ford Bronco chase, with helicopter cameras showing Favre getting off the plane and then following the SUV into which he climbed as it made its way to the team's headquarters.

Other readers say that folks already are offering $200 or more for game tickets with a face value of $76.

This is going to be fun, as long as the old man can stay healthy.

There goes their season

Through Week 12 (the Titans game), Favre threw 20 TDs and 13 INTs. If he had kept up this performance, he would have repeated his 2007 numbers which were good for Favre's standards. Unfortunately for him, he played in some frigid temperatures and as I've stated numerous times in this thread, his old body couldn't hold up. He had to play in the Meadowlands three times and in Seattle (in a snow storm no less). That, along with a biceps/shoulder injury, would explain his horrible numbers down the stretch.

And he only NEEDS to be a caretaker. If he isn't then that's the fault of Minny's offensive coordinator for wanting to see Favre air it out more than hand it to the best running back in the league. Finally, who would you rather have overseeing your offense: Favre or either Jackson or Rosenfels? The answer is simple for me.

Didn't Favre play in GB for most of his career (especially the best years)?

In 2007, which is just the year before last, Favre had a 22/15 TD/INT ratio. Last year, Favre had the Jets at 8-3 before he got hurt.

i always wanted the vikings to win but since childress took over i dont like him as much.now with favre ...its even harder to root
also everyone keeps saying they are a SB caliber team ..why ? what about other nfc teams ? giants,eagles,cowboys,new orleans to mention a few.

From the NFL Enquirer:

This is going to be fun, as long as the old man can stay healthy.

That's the problem, he can't and he knows it. When he runs out of gas in week 6 or 8 or 10, then what does Chilly do? Ask Sage and Tavaris to step up??

"I'm leaving an incredible opportunity on the table, and that opportunity is not coming back.''
--Favre, July 28.

Yes it is.

---

You would think I think this Brett Favre-to-Minnesota story is great, but I don't. I think it's wrong. I think it's a circus. And I think Minnesota coach Brad Childress is making a mistake.

If I were Childress, I'd have waited until Sage Rosenfels struggled -- if he struggled -- and then put the call into Favre. By doing it now, Childress loses Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson; how can they ever trust anything he says now? I'm sure both are furious, and Rosenfels, particularly, is crushed. And the way Favre talked to me three weeks ago, there's a chance he won't last the season and Childress will have to turn to one of his angry quarterbacks.

What Favre told me late last month is he wasn't coming back because he felt totally beat after some hard summer workouts, and if he felt beat after working out, how could he think he'd have enough stamina to make it through a season? He simply didn't think he'd be able to handle the physical rigors of the season. "I just didn't think my body would hold up the way it had in the past,'' he said.

The perfect scenario would have been for the Vikings to see if Rosenfels or Jackson played well enough through a piece-of-cake early schedule (at Cleveland, at Detroit, San Francisco), and if the position was an Achilles heel, then reach out to Favre to see if he was interested. By doing it now, Childress tells his team he doesn't trust Rosenfels or Jackson. Which could come back to haunt him if Favre's body breaks down.

Childress has looked like a desperate man throughout this melodrama. He made it known internally that Favre had to do at least some work in the off-season program or the veteran mini-camp to be considered. Favre never showed. Then he had to come by the start of camp. Favre didn't come, opting for his third false retirement in 17 months. Now the Vikings let him come back after the team has gone through training camp. Favre's the wishy-washiest player in memory -- and the Vikings are his enablers. It's ridiculous.

Minnesota Vikings are making mistake with Brett Favre - Peter King - SI.com

i always wanted the vikings to win but since childress took over i dont like him as much.now with favre ...its even harder to root
also everyone keeps saying they are a SB caliber team ..why ? what about other nfc teams ? giants,eagles,cowboys,new orleans to mention a few.

plus Childress screwed BB by grabbing that TE off our practice squad a couple of yrs back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft